Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Ski rack or cargo space?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 02:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Ski rack or cargo space?

I'm an avid skiier and I go up around three to four times a week during the season at Bogus Basin (not to worry, I have snow tires that'll work) and since I haven't gotten my xA yet I wanted to know if it would be absolutely necessary to get the ski rack or if I could just fit my skis in the cargo area with the back seat down.

Also, I was wondering if anybody could give me the total length from the passenger side dash to the rear of the car with the seats laying flat? The front passenger seat does lay down fairly low when the back seats are laid down, yes?
Old 07-13-2006, 06:38 AM
ASC
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My tele skis are 165's, and they can fit diagonally from the d/s rear corner to the right side of the rear passenger seat. Depending on how much you don't mind getting your interior wet/dirty, you could put 180+'s between the d/s and p/s. I have a yakima roof rack with ski mounts. Keeps the interior clean and there's always room for friends or ski bunnies.

Check Craigslist for some good prices on used rack systems. I know, you're probably on a budget (18, going to college) - but I think you'll appreciate not dirtying/scratching up the interior of your nice new xA.

Good luck!

- Al
Old 07-14-2006, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, that's a good idea. Are yakima racks built per car or can I just go pick up any one of them?
Old 07-14-2006, 05:15 AM
ASC
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You'll need the Q-towers and the 48" bars. From there, you have a number of options, all off which are still available used and at a discount. Also, if by chance you bike, instead of paying $100+ for one Yakima Steelhead bike tray, you can spend the same amount for two Rocky Mounts bike trays. Options are aplenty!

- Al