Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

So, umm... Why Does The Paint On Scions Suck...???

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does anyone here use a clear bra? what are your thoughts on it?
Old 07-14-2006, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

Ive seen a clear bra, Looks real good. Of course you can see it, but you really have to look.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My xB has had the front end repainted, all except the hood. 2006 I hit 2 deer when it was 3 months old. The bodyshop that fixed it did some horrible damage to the paint on my drivers side doors. The swirl marks were so bad they would blind you in the sun. The color also does not match. Their paint is much darker than Scions Black Cherry. I battled them over it, but havent got anywhere other than a full paint detail. I went to other reputable body shops who measured the paint thickness of Scion origional paint and the body shops. The body shops was yes thicker but Scions paint was supposedly normal. I have rock chips now 6 months later on the front end of mine but not a 1 on the hood. Even after 2 deer my hood was untouched. My point is on my xB the original Scion paint has been very good. The body shops (bumper, grille, drivers side fender is chipped to hell). I was told by many body shops Toyota does not put "crappy paint" on their cars. Mine is one example of this. I think it just depends on the abuse its put though. Rocks bugs weather hail etc etc.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Or a bad body shop trying to fix a mistake, DRIVERS SIDE DOORS.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member

i have a 05 blue xb it has chips from rocks in the hood mainly. i manage a auto glass shop in stuanton va and we do a good amount of winshields on xbs from rocks . i went and bought some touch up paint from the dealer and put a bug deflector on to see how well it blocks rocks . if any one knows of a recall for the paint i will be first in line to get mine fixed
Old 07-15-2006, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got a large chip on my hood, and an even bigger one on my passenger-side fender. Both are from driving through areas where the highway is ground up, and not brushed off.

Yeah... they bother me. But I'd rather paint than my windshield.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm
Old 07-15-2006, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I highly doubt there would ever be a recall on paint. Bad paint is usually not a safety issue. Who knows though maybe there will be for those of you having factory paint issues. Mine is perfect still, except for the paint applied by a body shop.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I've had 5 chips on my hood in 2K. Funny, I don't really see any small nicks. Its like either there is no mark or the paint is blown completely off. Or maybe PW just makes small nicks hard to see. I also have a chip on the side rear.

This is definitely a lot worse than my 95 Toyota pickup.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a recall hmm well CAS has only recieved three complaints about paint and they are interested in a class action to initiate a recall they just need enough people to file complaints about their paint here is the website do what you want with it. My paint is fine I just thought I might try to help I talked with a rep their they are also interested in Xa hydroplaning because of the tire choice http://www.autosafety.org/index.php at least if a recall comes about you can make the dealer reimburse you to have it painted somwhere else as long as it is the same color. Some paint shops out in the country still put on the heavey duty stuff.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Just thought I would chime in here. I have an 05,bought with 2 miles on it. I wash it maybe once a month...at a coin-op(I don't really wash it,I pre-soak and hose it down like a *****). I am at about 30k and have only recently noticed two chips on my hood,they are showing white(how far down is that?) and I have had another for awhile on my passenger side when I took my xm antenna off to wash and forgot to reattach. I have been through two fairly harsh Ohio winters and my paint still looks like new..I think some people just ride too many asses.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as stated earlier.. i keep a couple of coats of wax on my tC so that the paint is well protected from the "elements"

i mean you cant really stop it from happening, so do what you can to prevent any damage that you can. wash your car more frequently, use better soaps..

one thing that i found to truly help make my paint look new was to clay it and use some Scratch Doctor on it.. o man is it shining now..

also, try to use a california car duster on it.. that thing works wonders. o ya, i used it on a friends car that had arizona dirt on it.. and it worked fine
Old 07-18-2006, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Originally Posted by ghostrider25
a recall hmm well CAS has only recieved three complaints about paint and they are interested in a class action to initiate a recall they just need enough people to file complaints about their paint here is the website do what you want with it. My paint is fine I just thought I might try to help I talked with a rep their they are also interested in Xa hydroplaning because of the tire choice http://www.autosafety.org/index.php at least if a recall comes about you can make the dealer reimburse you to have it painted somwhere else as long as it is the same color. Some paint shops out in the country still put on the heavey duty stuff.
I filed a Class Action complaint about the paint. There are 5 now. Lets see if we can get this moving!!
Old 07-19-2006, 05:17 AM
5 Year Member

Default Re: So, umm... Why Does The Paint On Scions Suck...???

Originally Posted by TalkingHead
I've heard some people on this forum say that the paint jobs are absolutely horrible... Why is this? I tried searching the forum, but nothing came up.
You just spent 14K on a new car... what did you expect?
Old 07-19-2006, 05:38 AM
5 Year Member

The only way paint is covered is with a paint service contract that was offered to you in finance.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: So, umm... Why Does The Paint On Scions Suck...???

You just spent 14K on a new car... what did you expect?[/quote]

I don't agree with that. There are numerous compromises car companies make for entry level cars. Reasonable quality paint should not be one of them. Not having the smoothest paint job in the world should not be surprising. Having paint that chips very easily would be.

However, I still don't know whether the Scions are really worse than other cars. Alot of cars get paint chips. I beleive paint quality has gone down due to environmental crap, but I'm still not sure I believe Scion is unique in this problem.

My friend complains his Corollas paint sucks. I love the paint on my 1994 3000GT, but the paint does chip (at least through the clearcoat) very easily. That car was over $30,000 in 1994, and it still got little marks all over the front bumper and hood.

I think there is just alot of crap on the road. In Houston, they are always doing construction on roads or new shopping centers. Unfortunately, living in areas like that means theres alot of crap on the road to chip your paint.

I'm not saying Scion's paint isn't worse. I'm just not convinced of it yet. If it is worse, I don't think Toyota should be given an excuse to simply say the car is low cost.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got a new Xa in March and i already noticed a few chips, also i noticed white and red lines in my car, i think anyone whose has a car door that touches yours in the slightest you get that color paint on your car. This does suck, the lines i buffed out but the chips...blah
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got a new Xa in March and i already noticed a few chips, also i noticed white and red lines in my car, i think anyone whose has a car door that touches yours in the slightest you get that color paint on your car. This does suck, the lines i buffed out but the chips...blah
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 07-20-2006, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think we complain about our cars to much.They are not show cars they are daily drivers that will get some rock chips or door dings.If you really have an issue with the paint that doesnt involve rock chips then by all means try to get it fixed.

All we are doing is lowering the value of our cars by complaining about them.Do you think if someone came on this forum thinking of buying your used scion and saw all of the complaints they would want to buy the thing.

Quick Reply: So, umm... Why Does The Paint On Scions Suck...???