2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Steering Wheel Alignment Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Steering Wheel Alignment Question

I just purchased an xA. When driving home from the dealer (a really long drive), I noticed the steering wheel wasn't quite straight. In other words, to drive in a straight line, the steering wheel is actually turned slightly (5 or 10 degrees).

Has anyone had this problem? I assume the dealer can fix this fairly easily?

So far, this is the only real issue I've found. They didn't center the felt in that oven looking thing quite right, but I don't really care about that.

If anyone knows, I appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2006, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll be keep tabs on this topic because I want to know if there is a problem with it. My situation: Whenever I let go of the steering wheel the car always pulls to the left. If it was perfectly alligned, it would sometimes go to the left and sometimes to the right, am I correct?
Old 12-21-2006, 05:22 AM
5 Year Member

I think if your alignment is straight then when the steering wheel is straight the car should not pull to the left or right.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My car doesn't pull to the left or the right. It is tracking straight. It is simply that the location of the steering wheel when the wheels are straight, actually has the steering wheel not "centered" (ie. it is turned a little bit).

Someone told me they would have to adjust the tie rods to make the steering wheel centered and that this wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Jason's issue seems to me likely he simply needs an alignment.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2006, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the same problem as you kdepew. When I am traveling perfectly straight down the road, the passenger would look at my steering wheel and think I'm making a slight left.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mzkitti
I think if your alignment is straight then when the steering wheel is straight the car should not pull to the left or right.
That is the way it should be... if you are having to keep the wheel turned slightly, you are putting the front end in a bind... take it back, make the dealer get it right.

As for the one that is pulling, be sure the road isn't crowned a lot....
Old 12-21-2006, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by kdepew
My car doesn't pull to the left or the right. It is tracking straight. It is simply that the location of the steering wheel when the wheels are straight, actually has the steering wheel not "centered" (ie. it is turned a little bit).

Someone told me they would have to adjust the tie rods to make the steering wheel centered and that this wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Jason's issue seems to me likely he simply needs an alignment.

Thanks
The install notes that come in the box address this. Yes, the rods need to be adjusted. If it was dealer installed then they will fix it for free.

I installed mine myself. My wheel is a tad bit off but I need an alignment first.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is very common. When you go in for your first oil chnage ask them to center the steering wheel. Let them know if it does pull one way or the other. They will put in on the front end alignment machine and get all the settings right. When they do this they will set the wheel straigt and adjust the tie rod ends so that the toe is correct. Don't be surprised if after several thousand miles you see if off slightly again. I pay about $40 for an alignment so I get it done about every 6 months. Crooked steering wheels drive me nuts.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where do you pay $40 for an alignment? I thought it was more than that. On my 3000GT, I've had it aligned once since I bought the car in 1994 (I have 130,000 miles). It doesn't seem to need it often and it still tracks straight.

Thanks for the information. I'll get the dealer to fix it. I'm not sure I want to wait until the first oil change (I was going to get it done at like 1000 miles) or not. This kind of drives me crazy too.

I was going to get my car aligned after I install the springs, new wheels, and rear swaybar (I already have the springs and swaybar, but I haven't decided on wheels yet). I figured I should get the steering wheel fixed first because I don't want them blaming me for messing it up.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kdepew
I don't have this problem with my xA, though I had it with a previous vehicle. The steering shaft was splined, and it turns out it was off by one tooth. I simply removed the horn cover, removed the Jesus* nut, pulled off the wheel, and put it on again right. Easy to do on a vehicle without an airbag.

While it could be the spline alignment on your xA, there may be other issues that a dealer could verify.

I've never owned a vehicle, new or used, that needed periodic alignments, only as a result of damaged or replaced suspension/frame components.

* called the Jesus nut 'cause that's what people yell when it comes loose while driving...
Old 12-23-2006, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's the deal. When the toe is set at the factory by the person "in the pit", the person in the car "eyeballs" the steering wheel center while they hold it. It's not always an exact science. The toe itself is set right, but the steering wheel may be a tad off.

There's no need to remove the steering wheel to correct this. Besides, you'd have to remove the airbag to do this....though that's not hard to do, there's no sense in messing with it if you don't have to.

All that is required to correct this is a simple toe adjustment. The steering wheel will be centered. Then the toe is set accordingly.

If your car is fairly new most dealerships will fix this under warranty. However, if you've waited sometime, it may be difficult to get it done free. But it is worth asking. Or you could just wait until you're first alignment and have the alignment shop dial it out.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

^ either that or..

I'm not making this one up

a lot of 02-03 lancer owners can back me up on this.

Mitsubishi accidentally balanced the car side to side so well that a full tank of gas a single passenger could throw the car to the left. The gas tank's resivoir was on the left and with the weight of the driver it could add as much as 300+ pounds to the outside left edge of the car. they never fixed the problem to my knowledge and it wasnt that big of a deal but man it drove me crazy!
Old 12-23-2006, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

This may or may not help, but, my instructor a Wyotech says that when he gets a car in that has a misaligned steering wheel, he will go to a light and make a u-turn, but he will gun it and turn the steering wheel as hard as he can. That should snap the pinion into a different groove on the rack. That one only works if it's tilted to the left. You'll have to do it in a parking lot or something and do it the other way if it's tilted to the right.
I hope this helps.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The car is brand new. I just picked it up Monday. Either the steering wheel came from the factory misaligned or they didn't install the optional leather steering wheel quite right. I don't know what is involved with installing the optional steering wheel. At any rate, I'll take it to the dealer and they should be able to fix it.

I'm not going to get service done at the dealer I purchased the car at (I picked up the car about 180 miles from where I live), but that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Krayzie
when he gets a car in that has a misaligned steering wheel, he will go to a light and make a u-turn, but he will gun it and turn the steering wheel as hard as he can. That should snap the pinion into a different groove on the rack.
Mental note: never get an alignment done at that shop.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PupSocket
Mental note: never get an alignment done at that shop.
+1
Old 12-24-2006, 06:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Well, he said that it doesn't mess anything up, and that it's a whole lot easier than taking the rack and pinion casing apart and going through the trial-and-error.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Krayzie
Well, he said that it doesn't mess anything up, and that it's a whole lot easier than taking the rack and pinion casing apart and going through the trial-and-error.
It just seems very unnecessary when all that's needed is a simple toe adjustment.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just as mentioned above, take it to the scion dealer, if it is under warranty, then tell them. i did it at my first oil change, but you can tell them to do it whenever.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This happened to my mom's camry. Just bring it in, it's free. It's not alignment at all right? because when I bought my car there was a slight alignment problem due to low tire pressure.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Alignment Question