Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

stupid window tint laws

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default stupid window tint laws

i had my windows tinted to 35% last weekend. the ohio limit for the front windows is 35% but when the 35% film is placed on top of the factory glass (which has some small amount of tint already) the actual total tint becomes something less than 35%, like 32 or 33%.

i did some research on the tint meters that the police use and the accuracy of them is no better that + or - 2% (when the unit is calibrated properly) i wonder if my argument would work on a police officer who wanted to give me a ticket for my windows being too dark? if not, i wonder if it would work on the judge?
Old 07-18-2006, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have 20% which illegal in NY. Don't worry about it, unless you live in a small ___ town. Just roll down the windows when you see the coppers!!!
Old 07-19-2006, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Police rarely give tickets for stuff like that anyway, but I don't think any police officer would give you a ticket because your tint was 37 - 38% instead of 35%.

Just keep your paperwork showing you got 35% tint. If some officer were ever a jerk enough to give you a ticket for that difference in tint level, just go to the court and they'll throw out the ticket.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

One thing to worry about is if you do get into an accident the insurance company may throw out any claim you put in because your vision may have been "legally" impared. Stupid? mmhmm.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Aren't there other states which allow more than 35% tint? I don't think an insurance company could deny your claim for any level tint, much less using the legal limit tint and just being slightly over due to some very slight original level of tint to the window.

Short of intentially destroying your car, I don't think the insurance company can deny your claim even if you do something stupid. I think insurance companies even pay claims if you were drunk when you got in the accident.

I really don't think this is anything to worry about whatsoever.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep your records showing 35% tint, if you do get hassled, have the officer show the calibration report on the light meter. Cal certificates are not valid over 1 year. Then ask where the unit is transported, a delicate instrument should not rattle around in a car trunk, kinda voids the calibration. Make sure that the company that calibrated the unit is an accredited lab......But, do this in court, don't challenge the cop while he has you on the side of the road.....
Old 07-19-2006, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member

Here's a site to find out the tint law in your state:

http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Consumer_In...statelaws.html
Old 07-19-2006, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

a story from the internet:

Mississippi: Jail Time for Dark Window Tint

A new Mississippi law took effect requiring motorists with tinted windows to get a special annual window inspection. It also makes installing window tinting with less than 35 percent light transmittance a crime carrying a $1000 fine and three months in jail. A vehicle whose car safety inspection sticker expires must first get a tint inspection -- not necessarily at the same inspection location -- before it can legally be driven on Mississippi roads. As of July 2006, every tinted car on the road must have new window inspection sticker.

To make matters worse, the Mississippi Department of Public Safety had previously issued inaccurate tint measuring cards to installation shops throughout the state. Thousands of motorists unknowingly have windows that are slightly below the legal specification.

"We made a conscientious effort to give people legal tint, and based on the Department of Public Safety-issued cards, assured these motorists that they were in fact receiving legal tint," Tim Adams, manager of Auto Trim Designs wrote in a letter to the Clarion Ledger. "But these same customers will soon be told that, in fact, their tint is too dark, and they will be threatened with fines of up to $1,000 if they fail to remove it."
Old 07-19-2006, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd be seriously p*ssed if I had just paid to get legal tint and find out the state had screwed up what they want legal to be.....
Old 07-19-2006, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

I think you don't have anything to worry about if you don't drive like a jacka$$. A cop isn't going to pull you over for your tint unless it's way too dark.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

another:

Tint Laws Get Shady In Different Areas

Susan Haggerty says she was visiting her sick aunt in Manhattan when she saw flashing lights in her rearview mirror.

"Police pulled me over, and I thought 'What did I do?' They said 'Could you roll down your back window, because your car has excessive tinted windows and we want to check it.'"

Haggerty said the car had been purchased from a Pennsylvania dealer, with no after-market tint. But that explanation didn't hold much weight compared to the light meter the police placed on the window.

"When they put the meter on it, the meter read 70" Haggerty said. "After that, they said 'It's excessive, so we'll have to give you a ticket for it."

She was given a $40 ticket with a $50 surcharge.

Haggerty contacted Ford to explain and verify the factory tint of her windows.

A Ford representative said: "We can't build vehicles to meet ordinances of any one particular township, city or municipality. It's too bad customers are getting caught in the middle of this when their vehicles meet federal requirements."

And even with a factory regulation tint that Haggerty claims to have, Tsekenis said, "If the police feel it's too dark, they can issue a ticket anyway for their safety."

Haggerty paid the ticket right away, so it may be too late to challenge, but she plans to use the information from Ford to fight it.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you run across a cop with a burr under his saddle, he can and will ticket you for anything he wants.......

Probable cause is a thing of the past, I'm afraid.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm pretty lucky, here in Idaho the police are too busy rounding up the latino gang members to even care about motorists anymore.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And I am too old to start any crap...
Old 07-19-2006, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by oldmanatee
You're only 45, common you're the perfect COPS age. Just throw on a wife beater, down a few six packs, get your wife riled up and cussing at you and you're ready to go!
Old 07-19-2006, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

lets see, in 2006

no guns
no pit bulls
no sudafed
no window tint

what's next?
Old 07-19-2006, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by noderat
You're only 45, common you're the perfect COPS age. Just throw on a wife beater, down a few six packs, get your wife riled up and cussing at you and you're ready to go!
Are you stalking me????
Old 07-19-2006, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by noderat
Are you stalking me????
Do you want me to?
Old 07-19-2006, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not really..........hehehe...
Old 07-19-2006, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by BozzMan
another:

Tint Laws Get Shady In Different Areas

Susan Haggerty says she was visiting her sick aunt in Manhattan when she saw flashing lights in her rearview mirror.

"Police pulled me over, and I thought 'What did I do?' They said 'Could you roll down your back window, because your car has excessive tinted windows and we want to check it.'"

Haggerty said the car had been purchased from a Pennsylvania dealer, with no after-market tint. But that explanation didn't hold much weight compared to the light meter the police placed on the window.

"When they put the meter on it, the meter read 70" Haggerty said. "After that, they said 'It's excessive, so we'll have to give you a ticket for it."

She was given a $40 ticket with a $50 surcharge.

Haggerty contacted Ford to explain and verify the factory tint of her windows.

A Ford representative said: "We can't build vehicles to meet ordinances of any one particular township, city or municipality. It's too bad customers are getting caught in the middle of this when their vehicles meet federal requirements."

And even with a factory regulation tint that Haggerty claims to have, Tsekenis said, "If the police feel it's too dark, they can issue a ticket anyway for their safety."

Haggerty paid the ticket right away, so it may be too late to challenge, but she plans to use the information from Ford to fight it.
Wait so did the police meter read the tint as 70%? If so, that's some really light tint for a $90 fine.

Quick Reply: stupid window tint laws