Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

What Color or K HID's to pick for my Fogs :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 07:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was after color more than anything as the HID lowbeams completely obscure the fogs.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ah ok makes sense..
Old 01-08-2009, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You will love them and not get pulled over andmade a great decision. The hid are brighter than halogen bulbs.Just be warnned when you first turn them on they are green, then turn bright yellow.

No offense guys,but my xa sucked in the rain as to why I upgraded my lamps, then fogs. The fogs did the trick.

Originally Posted by INFINI
ah ok makes sense..
Old 01-09-2009, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any pics of the 3k fogs on your Xa, I would like to see how it looks. I just picked up factory foglight kit for my 06(thx crimson BB at toyota in Phx Az.) and my McCulloch 3k kit shoud be in today I cant wait to see it!I have a 6k dual beam kit for my headlights now...
Old 01-09-2009, 10:24 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its likes seeing gold every thing around you at night gold cars gold colored road, gold street signs
Old 01-10-2009, 06:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scooter06
Any pics of the 3k fogs on your Xa, I would like to see how it looks. I just picked up factory foglight kit for my 06(thx crimson BB at toyota in Phx Az.) and my McCulloch 3k kit shoud be in today I cant wait to see it!I have a 6k dual beam kit for my headlights now...
Did not arrive yet. THis was teh pre-buy thread I will however post pics when they are installed
Old 01-10-2009, 07:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jct
its likes seeing gold every thing around you at night gold cars gold colored road, gold street signs
With the FOG's??
Old 01-10-2009, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got all my stuff and am installing it this weekend. 3k fogs with 6k headlights...will post some pics when i am done!
Old 01-10-2009, 05:46 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jct
With the FOG's??
no in the head lights
Old 01-11-2009, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jct
Originally Posted by jct
With the FOG's??
no in the head lights
lol ok. Well I can't do that here in Ca AT ALL...... but got my fog H11's. I have never installed HID's before so I need to see if my friend can help teach me. then I will post before and after pics.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

installing HID's are really easy. if you go with the $50 analog sold in the sponsor's classified, all you do is match the wires (red and black) with the appropriate plug. it may not make sense in writing, but when you see it in person, it should be self explanatory...by the way, 6K headlights and 3K fogs (the fogs are the $50 ones and the headlights are from somewhere else)

Old 01-11-2009, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol ok. Well I can't do that here in Ca AT ALL...... but got my fog H11's. I have never installed HID's before so I need to see if my friend can help teach me. then I will post before and after pics.[/quote]

my friend has yellow headlights and not once did he got hassled by cops on his civic S.I.....
Old 01-11-2009, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What he means is that when you get sandwiched between two white vehicles,semis,etc you will see a goldenband where your fogs are shining.Its kind of puzzling at first, as you do not see it against other darker color cars or wet jersery barriers.

Make sure to aim them up as they are too low to begin with and if you drop your car, they need to be raised more.

I had slim ballasts andput them in the yoks of the metal bumper thing and pluggedthem up. I hadno problems at first, then started to blow fuses. I ended up getting a relay kit that plugged into the battery and into one of the car fog light plugs then that plugged into both ballasts. I then use zip ties and electric tape to hold down all the loose connections.

CAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH THE BULBS!!!!

Originally Posted by jct
Old 01-11-2009, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by math_man_tation
installing HID's are really easy. if you go with the $50 analog sold in the sponsor's classified, all you do is match the wires (red and black) with the appropriate plug. it may not make sense in writing, but when you see it in person, it should be self explanatory...by the way, 6K headlights and 3K fogs (the fogs are the $50 ones and the headlights are from somewhere else)

yup I think we will have the same combination Looks nice! Not to overdone. Very sharp and crisp look. I will have to take a look and maybe try them myself. Did you lift the car to get everything secured ok?
Old 01-11-2009, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anything other than 3000k really looks horrible and is too bright IMO. Go the functionality route ;)
Old 01-11-2009, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XD40tC
Anything other than 3000k really looks horrible and is too bright IMO. Go the functionality route ;)
your car is completely diff in the headlight area than our xA's. I liked my look before the 3000K FOG's so I think it's a matter of opinion, of which you really seem strong on the side of NAY. I disagree. Anyway I needed a brighter headlight than OEM so I went with HID's. I do not regret it at all and I went 6K with my HD assembly it's not as blue as let's say the same bulb in a 1st gen. xB.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup I think we will have the same combination Looks nice! Not to overdone. Very sharp and crisp look. I will have to take a look and maybe try them myself. Did you lift the car to get everything secured ok?
did not lift the car, only took of the bumper (didn't even took the bumper completely off, only enough to access the fog lights)

i also have 6K bulbs for the fogs, but haven't tried them yet. it's weird how the 3K setup i have is only yellow when it contacts the ground (or other objects) and its not yellow when you look directly at the light.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cobb
Make sure to aim them up as they are too low to begin with and if you drop your car, they need to be raised more.

On both of these subjects I really do not understand. Aim them "up"?? Can you elaborate on this more like with pics?

So touching the bulbs a serious thing?
Old 01-11-2009, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cobb

On both of these subjects I really do not understand. Aim them "up"?? Can you elaborate on this more like with pics?

If you touch the bulb, the oils from your fingers are left on the bulb surface and making those spots get even hotter tending the bulb to burn out more quickly. So it's a good idea to try and not touch the bulb.

I wasn't aware yellow fogs were illegal in Ca...

Your HIDs look way white for being 7k or mine just look way blue for being 6k. Either way, looks good. I also noticed your headlight housing is entirely lit up, opposed to mine where mostly the top half is lit up. My HIDs (umnitza) came with a shield below the bulb, perhaps thats why my headlight housing looks that way.

Here's my set up with 6k HIDs and PIAA Ion Crystal Fogs - I believe they're 4k...

Old 01-12-2009, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Touching any bulb is bad.

You can aim the fogs, use the gear wheel on the lower edge to adjust up or down.

Quick Reply: What Color or K HID's to pick for my Fogs :)