2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

WHAT IS YOUR MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tercel95
I just enjoy driving like that. The car doesn't have enough power to break anything. Honestly I really liked and babied this car for like a month. But after owning it for a year and the crappy dealerships in my area not fixing the transmission problem, I started to hate the car. Now I beat it like it owes me money. I can't wait to get rid of it.
What transmission problem?

You talking about the notchy 1-2 shift? Everyone has it. I have it. I deal with it.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:58 PM
SL Member

The transmission grinds going into first or third sometimes. The cable seems really tight sometimes and it feels like I have to rip it in and out of gear, but other times it feels fine. This is not typical of a Toyota. I had a Tercel with 176k on it and it drove like a charm.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The transmission grinds going into first or third sometimes. The cable seems really tight sometimes and it feels like I have to rip it in and out of gear, but other times it feels fine. This is not typical of a Toyota. I had a Tercel with 176k on it and it drove like a charm.
Toyota does not actually build there Scions I don't think. It's another Japanese company I know for a fact it's that was with the new Second Gen xB.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:04 PM
SL Member

Who builds them??? I mean the engine and chassis of the echo are exactly the same. They are both built in Toyota City, Japan. On an additional note my brother has the exact same car, an 06 xA and has no transmission problems.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you tried a different dealership?

A grinding transmission should be covered under the powertrain warranty.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm getting 39mpg with a mix of about 90% interstate and 10% city driving.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:22 AM
SL Member

The closest solid dealership is 70 miles away. I cannot afford to leave my car anywhere far and I am too young to get a rental...
Old 03-29-2008, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can squeal tires with my stock setup and it does get loud taking it over 3500rpm as is.

I just enjoy driving like that.
As for 3rd gear, sounds like you arent pressing the clutch to the floor completely or your clutch is sticking. Fan/ slip the clutch taking off or maybe just try to take off in second fanning the clutch and then see how it goes into 3rd.

Basically fuel economy is the ratio of fuel used to distance travel. You guys, try holding the gas petal no mroe than 3/4 1/2 and 1/4 the travel of the petal til you get to your desired speed and more likely than not you will find that one of thos epositions gives you better 0-60 times or to posted speed and better fuel economy. Flooring most cars just results in wasted gas.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:36 PM
SL Member

The car will grind at a complete stop with the clutch completely pressed in. I also don't know why the cable would feel so tight sometimes.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats good news, its not the tranny. Your clutch is hydrolic and the adjuster or bleeder screw is in front of the radiator between the engine and tranny. Look for a bleeder screw, it may still have a rubber cap on it. Get someone to hold the clutch petal to the floor and slowly loosen the screw til some fluid comes out, retighten the screw all while someone holds the clutch petal to the floor. DONE. It uses fluid from the brake reserve.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:35 PM
SL Member

I'll give that a try, thanks for the help. I was thinking at one point that the clutch might not be completely disengaging. Sometimes if I am in reverse and I push the clutch in all the way the car will not roll, but when I put it in neutral it will start to roll.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If its not got air in the line or need adjusting, its likely you got a leaking engine or tranny seal. Either can make the clutch stickie and feel like its not releasing correctly. THe short term fix is to just fan hte clutch or burn it first thing when you drive.

If you have abused your car, you may have some damage to the throw out fork, bearing or pressure plate too.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

10 gallons 358 miles. Past weeks of use. I think waiting at the drive through with engine running caused it to be lower than normal. Plus missing a few lights due to their fast cycles.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It seems as though, the reality of it is... as time goes on , the more + more obsesed I will be with the MPG issue , striving to get better + better MPG .

Reflecting back 14 months ago, when I bought my car ... standing there in that wet-rainy day, configuring/deciding if I wanted to buy the xA (in comparison to??? for the price ???? Overall benifits I was getting out of the xA) , a big grin came over me- and really it took me less then 1 minute to weight everything out, and pull the trigger. In 99.999999 % of the shopping/buying that I do - I very seldomly process a boat-load of info. in such a short time frame(well really, I was biting at the Scion car thing for about 2-3 weeks leading up to buying the xA).

By later this summer/ June-ish , I hope to have a knarly update to this tread/ my profile , with some awesome additions.

BTW, my 16" Buddy Club wheels are going up for sale ASAP.. as much as I like them, grip the road like a glove , just gotta get lighter- 14-15" for now on only.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, fuel economy reports on the edmunds forums from stick shift owners is what swayed me. Seems the automatic is hit or miss. Other manufactures the fit, yaris and versa were also hit and miss on getting or exceeding the rated fuel economy.

Yeah the folks at scion did a lot of work at fuel economy. I thought since its been proven here taller tires which would make the gearing higher decreased fuel economy, what about smaller ones? I tried some trd echo wheels. 14 inch wheels, the over all outside diameter was about an inch off stock xa. I do not have the exact measurements, but the speedo was 10% off. I got 35 mpg according to the fill up divided by miles traveled. So, being 10% off, or 30 mpg.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default I'm averageing about 37 MPG now!

It's been 50K+ miles now and I'm averaging between 35-43 MPG .I'm fixing to move near Nashville,Tennessee hopefully within this next month?My last calculation put me at 37 MPG doing 60cty/40 hwy driving.I have a automatic 2006 Scion XA .I have not put in my extra intake experiment in yet call me lazy,lol!Gas prices are going up so high right now and continue to do such to where I see in about a year it wont matter much !Pessimistic on gas prices I'm sure that some might agree we might soon be the status quo no matter how hard we try to increase gas mileage on our cars getting 30+MPG .Ever since owning one of the first hybrid cars in the USA being a Honda Hybrid Insight in 2000 I have been very vehement on gas mileage.I see it as a challenge to get better gas mileage as the days in my youth to run faster in a 1/4 mile and so on.I bought the Scion for a lot of reasons one being the gas mileage it professed and not being a hybrid which prices have gone up to astronomical proportions compared to the 2006 Scion XA.In matter of fact my gas mileage has been a lot better in most cases against them.I take pride in that a $13,100.00 car in all with my mods. going against a $30,000.00 car which professes better MPG but,the Scion I have beats it!I tell you that puts a big,major,super,ultra funky grin on this boy's face.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I filled up this afternoon after getting a wash and picking out some furniture after work today for my condo. 205 miles and 5.003 gallons of gas.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: I'm averageing about 37 MPG now!

Originally Posted by appleguybruce
It's been 50K+ miles now and I'm averaging between 35-43 MPG .I bought the Scion for a lot of reasons one being the gas mileage it professed and not being a hybrid which prices have gone up to astronomical proportions compared to the 2006 Scion XA.In matter of fact my gas mileage has been a lot better in most cases against them.I take pride in that a $13,100.00 car in all with my mods. going against a $30,000.00 car which professes better MPG but,the Scion I have beats it!I tell you that puts a big,major,super,ultra funky grin on this boy's face.
Nice!!!
Some new interesting rigs coming out here in summer '08, but in terms of good/great mpg ... the car manufactures are pumping it for all its worth, getting a premium $$ on hybrid and/or alternative E86, etc. fuel cars. No real super great deals in site that I see. If I were in the car buying market right now, I'd highly consider a used 1st gen xB or xA ...... not much else really makes much sense from a economic stand point (initial cost of vehicle + maintanence needed the first 100K + gas consumption).

Mark.. that a solid 41 avg. mpg, good work.
Those 14" should work out good. If you eventually want to get better mpg on those, get a 175/65 or 175/60 tire (less contact area on the ground) = better mpg. It will be perfectly fine in wet weather. In terms of handling/cornering ability, it will kinda suck ... but hey, as long as you take it easy, you'll be getting great mpg.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: WHAT IS YOUR MPG?

Originally Posted by TheUglyOne
Im averaging about 27-29 MPG is that normal?
"hey yo there are a few things you should check if your getting that gallonage check what tires are at pressure/32seconds your filters and oil if you need anything hit me up"
Old 04-16-2008, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default need ideas

hey i need ideas for my car to get better gas mileage or horse power for cheap such as knN filter change oil people are using gas treatment and such just need a few ideas for that and also curious if anyone knows where i can get darker headlights and tails and interior leds. i am trying to turn the inside of my car all one color from speedometer light to park reverse etc... light all one color if any suggestions please let me know thanx

Quick Reply: WHAT IS YOUR MPG?