Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]
View Poll Results: Max Miles/Gal you've seen? xA ONLY PLEASE!
0%
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

What's the max miles/gal you've seen on your xA?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Yep... I have to keep her under 60 to get it up higher... but who's in a hurry anyway? Take ur time, slow down, and enjoy the tunes!

That's the only way anyone is gonna see the advertised MPG.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As I always say, Half the fun is getting there!

But I'm still ____ed off by this crappy milage! It's proposterous! uh, propostirous? popostrious? It's bull crap! 8 )
Old 01-27-2005, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's really only one solution. Trading cars and comparing mileage... this will eliminate some driving style.

Just kidding! who would actually do this? Heh ...
Old 01-27-2005, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

All I know is I'm exctatic with my MPG....

Last month Phillips 66 bill: $320.00
This month Phillips 66 bill: $150.00

That is the exact reason I bought this car. I convinced my wife the bill would be cut in half and I was dead on the money. She's tickled pink... well that is if I sell some stock to pay for the thing... I also told her we'd never make a payment, but the market tuned on me a bit and payment #2 is coming up.... just need to milk $0.80 from one holding and I can pay her off in full!
Old 01-28-2005, 06:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default almost 32mpg on first tank

I've only filled it once, but in a mix between 3 mile trips and 40 mile trips (more of the former) I hit almost 32mpg on my first tank. On the freeway portions, i was speeding up and slowing down a lot to break the engine in. I have been accelerating slowly.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member

Maybe this sounds a little far fetched but do you think your actual weight (i.e. the weight of the driver) could be affecting this? :/
Old 01-29-2005, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Weight definitely affects fuel mileage. I don't know any general formula for it, but the less a car weighs (including what's in it), the less fuel it uses, and visa versa. The difference in driver weight alone would be really small, unless you're morbidly obese, in which case you're probably driving a geo metro convertible anyway.

If you want better fuel economy, pump up your tires, clean out your trunk, accelerate and drive slowly, and maintain your momentum as much as possible. You RS owners should also switch to smaller wheels.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member

Driving from Jacksonville, NC to Winston-Salem I was getting about 27mpg at 75mph...
Old 01-29-2005, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xA RS 0240
just need to milk $0.80 from one holding and I can pay her off in full!
Ya, don't get me started on the market! Man, if only the market returned to how it was in 1999. I had such big plans for my Z.. Even on a good year, our stock is still less than half it was in it's hay day... Damb wall street just doesn't respond to good quarterly news like it did for the last 10 years...

Back to the topic of milage...

Has anybody with bad milage gotten an alignment, found it was off, and improved the milage? It would definately help. I've heard from a few people that the alignment of the cars were a little off coming from the factory. I've yet to get mine checked.. I've also yet to hear from somebody first hand that's found they had a bad alignment from the factory..

Also,
I've also heard from some people that they've seen better milage with some gas companies and worse with others. Chevron over here in California is suposed to be the good one, and Shell the one to avoid... I haven't seen any black and white difference between the two yet, but still observing..

Also,
I think I might be seeing a milage difference between using 87 and 91 (highest we have in CA). I might be getting better milage by about 1or2mpg with 91. Not sure yet. Anybody seeing this?

Cheers,
Old 01-30-2005, 05:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oxygenated fuel, ethanol, MBTE, gasohol, etc. hurt mileage. They pack less punch while helping older cars make less pollution.

It's conceivable that 91 octane would get better MPG than 87 if the xA is set up to keep pushing the timing till the engine knocks. That way it would make more power and you'd have to use less throttle. The Dodge Intrepid V6 did that, but it was a detuned version of the 300M V6. It would run like the 300M when running on 91 octane until you floored it, in which case it went to a set fuel map and lost power.

Anyone know if the xA does this?

There's nothing inherently more powerful in 91 octane vs 87.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm gonna fill up with 91 oct when i empty this tank.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You might have to reset the ECU or something else to get the ECU to relearn conditions to make more power on 91 grade (assuming the car does that at all). The ECU would have to be willing to push the timing on its own, only backing off when it senses knock. At least a lot of cars don't try and do that. Usually the more expensive cars that demand 91 do that. You can put 87 and they run fine, but with a lot less power because the spark gets retarded. It's a short bus thing. ;)
Old 01-31-2005, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

on my rsx the ecu learn that automaticlly so i didn't considering rest the ECU on the XA before the fill up( i'll try to do that next time). anyway i fill up the scion with 91 oct today and went for a long drive. Before the 91 i used 87 and got 25 mpg ( the lowest i ever got) so far get 30 mpg with 91 and the cars feels lot smoother for some reason.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Never underestimate the power of thinking its better. A blind test is the best, or better yet, a dyno. Personally, I think we all need to accelerate slower in the city.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:54 AM

If you guys are using the defogger setting on the AC controls (turning it to the far right) you're using your air conditioning to dehumidify the air coming in. That eats gas!

Roll down the windows, or better yet invest in a set of vent shades to prevent fogging and still stay toasty inside :D

Old 01-31-2005, 06:04 AM
5 Year Member

The best average i got was about 45/gallon and that was on a trip to vegas from orange county without traffic at night. I didn't have to use the a/c since i drove at night and well i made sure to start with a full tank to calculate exaact miles.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cloudnine
If you guys are using the defogger setting on the AC controls (turning it to the far right) you're using your air conditioning to dehumidify the air coming in. That eats gas!

Roll down the windows, or better yet invest in a set of vent shades to prevent fogging and still stay toasty inside :D
you know i got fed up with that fogging up the window ____. i was driving home the other night and left both windows open so i didn't have to use AC to clear up the fog. i was so cold and my fingers went numb but the fog didn't clear up for some reason, i had to pull over and use some old newspaper to wipe the windshield clean before i can drive again.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xA2NR
The best average i got was about 45/gallon and that was on a trip to vegas from orange county without traffic at night. I didn't have to use the a/c since i drove at night and well i made sure to start with a full tank to calculate exaact miles.
holy ghost !!! that's the highest i ever heard of!!!
Old 03-07-2005, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some details I just came acroos while reading a Consumer Affairs email,

About Those Mileage Estimates...
A few Congressmen have noticed what everyone else already knows: those gas mileage estimates posted on cars' windows don't have a lot of grounding in reality. They've introduced legislation that would require the Environmental Protection Agency to make the test for fuel economy ratings more like real-world driving. That would mean more high-speed driving, more aggressive accelerating and stopping, more short trips, driving with air-conditioning on and testing at a variety of temperatures.

Details: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...s_mileage.html
Old 03-07-2005, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

38 +

Quick Reply: What's the max miles/gal you've seen on your xA?