Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Why Xa over Xb? Not sure which one I really want.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Why Xa over Xb? Not sure which one I really want.......

I plan to test drive the Xb. Already test drove the Xa at a local dealership. The Xa I drove had 205/40/17 tires and I was still pleased with the ride over my lowered 93 Civic.

I'm just wondering why you went with the Xa over the Xb. I really like how the Xa looks on the exterior and the interior layout as well. I also like the exterior of the Xb, but not as much as the Xa. I do feel I may enjoy the more spacious inside of the Xb over the Xa though. I'm talking stock for stock rides. I don't want to do any modifications to the engine, suspension, or body. At most, maybe OEM alloys one day, HID, and fog lamps.

If this has already been discussed please point me to the thread and mods close this one out.

Not even interested in the Tc.

BTW > Selling my hatch a week from today and will be ready to purchase Scion anytime after.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member

Hatch - My wife and I had the same mixed emotions about the choice of XA or XB that you currently have. Looks vs practicality, room, etc. The ride is the same.

In the end, we decided on BOTH! Of course, not every one can do that, but for the money, the XB has the best value. After driving both for a couple of weeks, the XB would be the choice. It was the room that adds that value and practicality.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, i didn't need the traction control, the vehicle stability control, or the extra space. so i saved the 1200 or so dollars and am now saving about 30 cents a fillup at the gas station . but yeah, i just didn't like the way the box looked. all my friends give me crap for it now. but, i haven't had any problems with my car yet although the trip home from vegas i don't think my brother was to comfortable.....
Old 07-19-2004, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by empleh
well, i didn't need the traction control, the vehicle stability control, or the extra space. so i saved the 1200 or so dollars and am now saving about 30 cents a fillup at the gas station . but yeah, i just didn't like the way the box looked. all my friends give me crap for it now. but, i haven't had any problems with my car yet although the trip home from vegas i don't think my brother was to comfortable.....
Good info! You get 3-4 more mpg on the highway in the Xa. With a 12 gallon tank (11.9 to be exact) you get 36 - 48 miles more out of a tank of gas. Which is over one gallon saved per fill-up which we know is about $2 these days

I don't think I need the extra space either. I do need to the better MPG since I do 90% highway driving to and from work. I think I'll go with the hatchback since I am coming out of a hatchback that I was not 100% sure I wanted to sell.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

If you're buying a new car, at least half of the decision needs to be on looks.

I've always liked hatchbacks, always like the idea of micro-SUV/mico-minivans, starting with this Civic 4WD wagon my friend had, to Europe's Renault Twingos to the Eagle Summit wagon...for some reason it just seems like what a car should be.

The Scion site describes the xA as "sleek and muscular". While to be honest its engine probably aint "muscular", it does have a very strong appearance...I think it's some of the subtleties of the design, especially the way the wheel wells bulge out.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my first car was a civic wagovan. second was a civic wagovan awd.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First, drive them both and make a decision. Never let someone else help you deicide on how to spend your $$$.

Having said that, xA all the way. I drove them both, the xA is quicker and more fun to drive. The xB drives like a bus, a small bus but still a bus, fine for the "pimps" and soccer moms but not what I want in a car.

ken
Old 07-20-2004, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kdanie
First, drive them both and make a decision.
Just got back from the local dealer. Test drive both the Xa and Xb.

The Xb has tons of room and seems to sit higher. A lot more cargo space in the Xb. The Xb also seems to have more air space while sitting in the front seats. There is NO comparison when it comes to space in the back seat. With the front seats all the way back in the Xb there is still TONS of space for rear passengers. Keyless entry also in the Xb. After the test drive I decided I will spend the extra $1,500 on a Thunder Cloud automatic Xb :D
Old 07-21-2004, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the xA because I think it is better looking when fixed up and looks sportier. Its hard to make a box sporty looking.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:01 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I still think that getting it in automatic with a mere 110-hp is a stupid thing to do, but hey, youre the one paying extra for less fun.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by iglcrair
I still think that getting it in automatic with a mere 110-hp is a stupid thing to do, but hey, youre the one paying extra for less fun.
I'm not buying the Xb because it's a fun car to drive.
Looking for something new, reliable, cheap, and easy on the wallet at fill ups.
IMO, an Xb in a 5 speed is still not going to be a fun car to drive. Now, my 2000lb 93 Civic hatch on Tein SS suspension, 16" Rota's with a 170hp Integra GSR motor is fun to drive......

www.geocities.com/hybrid93hatch

Actually, tired of driving a manual transmission at this point. The gas mileage is the same on both the auto/manual tranny so I really don't see any advantage for me to purchase the manual. If I wanted a new fun car I would probably go with something more like the Tc, MAzda 3 or 6, S2k, STI, SRT-4, should I keep going IMO a 110-hp vehicle is not something to have fun in with twisties and moving quick.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I went with the xA because it has a slight performance advantage. . . coming from my old car, these engines are on the fringe limits of acceptable. But my main concern with the xB was vandalism, being in a college environment. Drunk kids are already a vandalism risk to any car, but especially to the xB. . . and to an extent the xA too. I feel that the xA drew less negative attention, and from the looks of it on the forums, the xA doesn't see nearly as much vandalism as the xB.

In fact I really hated the xB in the past, until one day I really gave it a change. . . and I kinda fell in love with it, and the xA too. If it weren't for vandalism, I would have gotten the xB.