Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Will these fogs fit the '06 XA?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Will these fogs fit the '06 XA?

Will these fit easily into the fog spots on the '06 xa?
How much trouble would it be mounting them, are the factory ones easier to mount for some reason?
Thanks!

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...011650/c-10101
Old 11-05-2006, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cutting a hole in the cover wouldn't be too hard. But there's nothing behind it to mount the light to. So you would have to fab some sort of mount.

This is just my opinion, but, although pricey, the OE foglamp kit is hard to beat. It looks good, works good, and is simple to install.....bolts right up and is plug-and-play.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Factor....
Any chance you could post a pic to see the OEM fogs on your Xa? I am trying to decide on Fog lamps. How much did you pay and where did you buy them? I made the mistake of buying OEM's for the 2005 Xa.....they don't fit the 2006! Anyone interested in those lamps...PM me. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm afraid I have nothing close-up. This is about has good has it gets for now. If you need a tight shot, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

I paid $199 from my local dealer. That's still a lot of jack....but hey it's only money, right? Retail on the kit is $350.

They can be found on ebay if you look close enough. Just make sure they are really OEM and not "OEM style". And yes, the '06 has a completely different lamp and housing than the '04/'05.

Here's one, though they have the '04/'05 pictured, they claim that it is the '06 OEM kit.....and that is the correct part number for the '06.

Click here ---> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 11-06-2006, 02:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

everyone always says the mounting is easy, and they're "plug n play".... but i dont think i understand....

are there wires already behind there i just plug into?? how do they mount that makes them different from another kit? i'm so confused...
Old 11-06-2006, 01:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xA_Factor
I'm afraid I have nothing close-up. This is about has good has it gets for now. If you need a tight shot, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

I paid $199 from my local dealer. That's still a lot of jack....but hey it's only money, right? Retail on the kit is $350.

They can be found on ebay if you look close enough. Just make sure they are really OEM and not "OEM style". And yes, the '06 has a completely different lamp and housing than the '04/'05.

Here's one, though they have the '04/'05 pictured, they claim that it is the '06 OEM kit.....and that is the correct part number for the '06.

Click here ---> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...QQcmdZViewItem

Factor,
That is one sweet ride.... Nice pic angles too ...... and the sun vs. shade??? Are you a professional or what?
I get the idea, no need for a close-up. Do tell what the "blacked out fender wells" you mention in your profile are? Never heard of those???
Steve
Old 11-06-2006, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

factor... sweet ride!

Kng, I wish I could offer some help, but my fogs were already installed when I got mine.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the compliments fellas.

As for the blacked-out fender wells? I guess to save cost Toyota doesn't bother painting the fenderwells. Not a big deal on a dark colored car....but on a white one you can actually see the white paint. It just looked unfinished, so I painted the wells black. I guess it's not really a mod....probably should take it off my list of "other" mods.

Kng...."Plug-and-play" and "bolts right up" just means that everything is easily installed....no wire splicing, no cutting, drilling, ect. The kit comes with a relay that plugs into the fuse panel, an "OEM" lighted switch that plugs into existing wiring in the dash, and a harness that plugs into an existing connection in the engine compartment. From that connection, the harness plugs into the left foglamp, makes it's way across the top radiator support and plugs into the right foglamp. Then you ground the harness at an existing grounding point. That's it for the wiring.

Mounting the lamps is not difficult. You remove the blanks. Attach the lamps to the included frames, mount the frames inside the opening, then snap the new bezel around the lamp....done. All the mounting is done with self tapping screws.

The instructions tell you to remove the front bumper, but I didn't. I just jacked up the front and removed some of the scews holding the plastic splash pan in place. That gave me the room I needed to mount the lights with a short screwdriver.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

factor....

Thanks SO much! that definately sounds worth the $$ to get the scion fogs from somewhere.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Now what about installing these yourself. Doesnt that void your warrantly for electrics? Also, how bright are these? Are they really functional or just cosmetic? Did you change bulbs at all?
Old 11-15-2006, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it's very much a DIY job. As for voiding your warranty? No way.....unless you do something completely dumb that's obviously your fault. IMO, they are both cosmetic and functional. They're adjustable. So you can determine how far out or how close you want the light to broadcast in front of you. They come with the bulbs already in them and I've not changed them. At some point I may replace the stockers with some SilverStars.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just ordered them! It's going to be a DIY job for me. Hopefully I can figure it out, directions look pretty clear cut. I am thinking about putting the silverstar lights in them before install. Will that make a big difference? I dont have Silverstars in my headlights.

Also, is the balancing of the lights difficult? The directions state that you may need a special tool....
Old 11-15-2006, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BTW I bought them for $197 (including shipping) from http://shop.MYSCIONWAREHOUSE.COM

One more question for xA Factor. How did you get front mud flaps for a 2006 xA?
Old 11-15-2006, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It would be easier to install the SilverStars first. Without doing the headlamps, your fogs will look whiter than your headlamps. No big deal if you don't mind that look.

As for aiming them? I just took it to an empty parking lot when it was dark to determine where I wanted the light to hit the road and adusted them some. Then I drove home and parked very close to my garage door to see if the light pattern from both lamps hit at the same height. I tweaked one of them a bit so they would be perfectly balanced. There's an adjustment screw on each lamp.

Originally Posted by Tobo22
........How did you get front mud flaps for a 2006 xA?
Read here ---> https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...135311&start=0
Old 11-26-2006, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright, I did the installation today. It wasnt too bad and I am not that experienced with this type of thing. it took me about 2 hours for the full job. But i took my time. Make sure you have the philips stubby, otherwise its like impossible.

tonight i will need to aim them.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ Yep, unless you want to go through the trouble of completely removing the bumper, a shorty screwdriver is a must.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

xA Factor, question about the aiming of lights. Where do I want to aim them? Its kinda hard to figure them out bc the headlights are on also. The just dont seem to light up that much of the road right now.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tobo22
xA Factor, question about the aiming of lights. Where do I want to aim them? Its kinda hard to figure them out bc the headlights are on also. The just dont seem to light up that much of the road right now.
It just depends on where you want them to be aimed. If they're pointed up quite a bit then they will supplement the headlamps. If they're aimed down more they'll light up the area right in front of you.

One thing I did on a previous car, was to disconnect the headlamps. That just takes a few seconds and will give you a better idea of how much and where the light output is.