Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Wrecked my xA - Awesome Safety Features!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Wrecked my xA - Awesome Safety Features!

On Monday, July 2, I was headed to work on a rural road. We have had around 20 inches of rain here, so things are pretty well, ...wet. Rain had just stopped when I hit some water going about 45 mph and spun around. We flew backwards over a drive way, missing a pole by about 3 feet, hitting a water main, through a house, and about a 6 in. in diameter tree. I had always thought that if we were in an accident in the xA that we probably wouldn't make it. Loved the car anyway! After all we hit, we walked away without a scratch, a little soreness. VERY SURPRISED! I have include pictures taken from a camera phone. I have got to give it to toyota on this one. I had always heard their vehicles were safe, but I can't believe the way the "little car" took it. Very happy! If they would have totaled it, I would have purchased another just like it. Very satisfied! This post is just to give all of those that do not feel safe, or are apprehensive about purchasing an xA because of safety, a little first hand experience info.

Pics: http://community.webshots.com/album/...host=community
Old 07-08-2007, 03:34 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Too bad about the little xA getting hurt, but glad that YOU are OK.

The xA is a tough little beastie.

Hope everything is covered by insurance, and that it all works out well for you.

Keep us informed!

Tom
Old 07-08-2007, 03:39 AM
5 Year Member

can i have ur wheels.=? ive flipped my car. safe lil things.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default All OK

Thanks.

Everything should be covered by insurance. HOPEFULLY! It is fully repairable, which we are really happy about. Does anyone know how they are after they are repaired. Mine is getting repaired by a certified allstate repair facility, so we are hoping their aren't any problems after repair.

I have to keep my wheels, sorry. Got 2 more years of college. LOL!

Sorry to hear about your car. Good you are ok.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:56 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My little xA had been bent twice and fully repaired by a good independent shop. So long as there are no major frame or running gear damage, they should be just fine after being fixed.

Amazingly, yours looks like it is just superficial damage, so it should fix up just fine!

For small, inexpensive cars, they are VERY well built, and quite repairable.

(Mine before it got fixed this last time: http://tijil.org/xA_bent01.jpg - all it took was some new sheet metal, a new mirror, new lower molding and some good paint work. Now it is nearly impossible to tell it was ever damaged.)

Tom
Old 07-08-2007, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very nice to know. Thanks for the quick reply! I hope it turns out well. I will keep you guys posted with pics.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
(Mine before it got fixed this last time: http://tijil.org/xA_bent01.jpg - all it took was some new sheet metal, a new mirror, new lower molding and some good paint work. Tom
Hey Tom, I have also got the mirror smashed while parked. The harness suspension exactly like on your picture.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Hit medium sized dog at 80MPH and lost most of the front end but patched back together without a mark. You should name your car "WreckingBall" since you took out a house with it ;) lol!!
Glad your all okay, sorry about your xA, I know how I felt driving around a Cobolt rental for 3weeks
Old 07-08-2007, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Sorry about your xA dude, but thankful your OK! From accident pics I've seen over time, on this forum, the xA seems to be one tough little cuss! Glad to know it protects so well in an accident! Let us know how the repairs turn out.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Another reason I picked hte xa was the crash rating. It bothers me a bit many of you guys have wrecjed your cars. Sounds like maybe you hydroplaned and it just skidded out. Its a nice handling car and I can see where you can become over confident in the handling and drive the car harder than possible.

Looks like a lot of expensive superficial work. Windows, body work and lamp fixtures are not cheap.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got the estimates today. 16k for the house. Didn't look like that much damage! 6k for the car. At least insurance will take care of nearly all of it, 'cept for $1000 deductible.

Saw the xA today after a week in the shop. Very sad... They had it taken apart. Seats taken out and everything. I will post some pics when I get it back. Hopefully that will be soon!! You don't know how good the gas mileage is until you drive an Mid-Size SUV 100 mi. round trip to work daily!
Old 07-14-2007, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

How hard of a hit did the rear take ?

I was just mentioning to a couple of friends how I am worried putting my daughter in the back seat cause it seems like it is only a foot between her & the hatch. A rear end collision worries the hell out of me when she is back there.

Thanks for the info & sorry to see that happen to your car.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've heard, and seen a lot of people get in accidents with scions. whether its an xa, xb or a tc. Most of the pics I've seen are pretty gnar gnar! But everyone has walked away with minor to no injuries.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xIxAMxHOLLYWOODx
I've heard, and seen a lot of people get in accidents with scions. whether its an xa, xb or a tc. Most of the pics I've seen are pretty gnar gnar! But everyone has walked away with minor to no injuries.
i concur! our scions are built "scion tough"
Old 07-14-2007, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The rear hit pretty hard. The passenger side back also took a pretty big impact. I am very surprised that we came out as good as we did, 'cept for some whiplash. I would say they are the toughest little things out there. Very happy with the way we came out. I would say if you have a small child that you may want to make use of the center harnesses, incase of side impact, but thats with pretty much any vehicle. In this case, I am almost sure that your daughter would have come out just fine. The hatch was completely crushed and glass was all that made it to the back seat, well actually to the front dash. I would see where you would be worried, but after that I feel these cars are very very safe, in my opinion.

Question for those more knowledgeable than I... What is a frame pull? The repair facility claimed yesterday they did a frame pull. Also, if no damage was done to the passenger area, why were the rear seats removed when I looked at it? Was that so that they could fix the crushed hatch compartments?
Thanks!
Old 07-14-2007, 11:22 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A "frame pull" is putting a unibody vehicle onto a very strong platform, attaching it securely, and "pulling" it into proper alignment again when it gets a little bent out of shape.

For minor damage this is really pretty common, and a good shop will do this as a matter of course for a unibody to make sure everything is aligned.

Tom
Old 07-15-2007, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks!! I was hoping it was something like that. When I looked at the rear with the bumper off, frame looked great. Very surprised. It mostly looked cosmetic. Still wondering about the seats.

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-15-2007, 02:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: Wrecked my xA - Awesome Safety Features!

Originally Posted by xadustin
On Monday, July 2, I was headed to work on a rural road. We have had around 20 inches of rain here, so things are pretty well, ...wet. Rain had just stopped when I hit some water going about 45 mph and spun around. We flew backwards over a drive way, missing a pole by about 3 feet, hitting a water main, through a house, and about a 6 in. in diameter tree. I had always thought that if we were in an accident in the xA that we probably wouldn't make it. Loved the car anyway! After all we hit, we walked away without a scratch, a little soreness. VERY SURPRISED! I have include pictures taken from a camera phone. I have got to give it to toyota on this one. I had always heard their vehicles were safe, but I can't believe the way the "little car" took it. Very happy! If they would have totaled it, I would have purchased another just like it. Very satisfied! This post is just to give all of those that do not feel safe, or are apprehensive about purchasing an xA because of safety, a little first hand experience info.

i am so happy to hear that you're ok and the little one is not totaled; I, too, worry bout big bang ups in my little Zippy (name for the XA) as I commute from Georgetown to Austin and back everyday on IH 35 - where all those 18 wheelers reside! The biggest complaint I can make (and of course, it's not a real complaint) is that my car shuts out so much of the traffic noise that I rarely hear an 18 wheeler when they do run up on me; I really have to pay attention. However, Zippy can kick it up a notch, and maneuver in and out of traffic like a little angel. Good comfort knowing my chances might be better though if something happened. It might be because it's so light and can bounce around like a ping pong ball. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No wonder they call them safe. I feel more confident driving it now... Guys try to watch these threads on you tube.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BZN4y_e5j9U

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qdf4UKF66dY

And how your friends rated?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4PBQ9CRRswk

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8C04bPfMooc

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5aHvlaw5n_k

I have yet to see how the xA will do on the quarter impact though like how the did it on the Fit..
Old 07-26-2007, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow! Very interesting. Will feel even safer driving it now. THAT WILL NOT MAKE ME OVER CONFIDENT THOUGH

Quick Reply: Wrecked my xA - Awesome Safety Features!