Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Is the XA getting replaced by this thing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Is the XA getting replaced by this thing?

Whadduya think? Could be...

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/yaris.html
Old 09-25-2005, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no that is replacing the echo. canada didn't get the scion line up they got the echo rs which is essentially an xa. in europe they got the yaris. japan kept the vitz
Old 09-26-2005, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the inside is way nice i like that
Old 09-26-2005, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member

eww the controls on the door/arm rests are hideous
Old 09-26-2005, 01:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks like it was hit in the face with a shovel.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can configure the USDM Yaris: http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/yaris.html

But what I find silly is (at least according to the link above for Base model):
A/C is not standard. ABS is not standard. MP3 stereo is not standard. CD in Stereo is not standard. Power Locks/Windows is not standard. Split folding rear seat is not standard. They have two options for rear seats: split folding (like xA) with a seat that can forward and reclining/all rear seat folds down. I do like the cup holder on the dash.

Toyota better aim for the sub 9K or less market for the base model Yaris 3-Door. The xA has the above options as standard equipment.

Also guess what! Green Mica see below is not available (according to the current configurator).
Old 09-26-2005, 03:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Yaris, Vitz and Echo is the same car and have the same time in the market.
The past year I visited the island of Republica Dominiaca and I saw a lot of Yaris hatchback.

These cars its available in two doors, four doors, three doors hatchback & five doors hatchback. In USA you only see the two & four doors version.

RS = SR5 etc.

The Yaris is not an xA in other countries, the xA is the Ist in Japan and it’s a complete different model, but basically, xA is a modified Echo, and all of these, but the truth dad is the Toyota bB, better know in USA, Scion xB. Echo & xA uses the platform or chasis of a Toyota bB.

And, do you know what is Aigo? Check this link http://es.aygo.com/

All of this car share the same engines 1.0, 1.3 & 1.5, vvti. depending the model.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Yaris is replacing the Echo!!!
Old 09-26-2005, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I thought the Platz (Echo) and Vitz/Yaris came before the bB. . . and that the bB was based on the platform/chassis of the Platz/Vitz/Yaris/Echo (different names for the same car).

The IST is based on the above car/cars, but only goes by the name IST or xA. It has never been called by any other names.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I think it looks keen.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I actually like it. It can't replace the xA because it's not part of the Scion line :p
Old 09-26-2005, 07:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think this is a dumb move by Toyota. They should pull the xA and replace it with the yaris. The xA is not Scions strongest seller and when the yaris comes out its probably going to sit on the showroom floor collecting dust.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Unfortunately, I agree. . . they should axe the Echo completely, and leave it's segment to Scion. They should replace the xA with the new Vitz, as it has a much more contemporary dash/design than the xA. Compared the the Honda Jazz/Fit, the xA dash SUCKS. But fortunately the Jazz/Fit is kinda ugly on the outside. . . almost.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The xA is set to stay at least $3,000 less than the Yaris once you have to add all the OPTIONS on the Yaris that come standard on the xA. The Yaris is actually more car and not as customizable.
The xA will do fine remaining on the line for those that are looking for something more affordable. It might not be selling like the xB and the tC, but it does still sell.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by lalagimp
The xA is set to stay at least $3,000 less than the Yaris once you have to add all the OPTIONS on the Yaris that come standard on the xA. The Yaris is actually more car and not as customizable.
funny you should say that, lalagimp as it's *all* the other way around in japan. here the vitz (yaris) is generally cheaper than the ist (xa). i don't have time to search toyota.co.jp for prices (going to bed soon; it being past 11.30pm here already). both are toyota badged of course & sit together in shiny plastic 'netz' showrooms like red m&m's & green m& m's.

the new vitz (yaris) is waaaaaaay more customised & modded & nutted & bolted over here than almost any other car known to humanity! if you don't believe me, i'll look for some pictures tomorrow night if i have time & if this thread is still going strong.

anyway, here's my 2yen: the toyota yaris is going to be big in america. there'll be more dealer & aftermarket options than you can shake a stick at. the yaris verso (check out toyota.co.uk - but that's still the old model) & aygo may even follow.

if i were reading these boards weighing up the xa, i'd wait. ist & vitz owners can (& quite possibly do) argue until the cows come home, but as i said...

wait.

sit in the new yaris (& if you ate all your greens when you were younger, & like me, you are over 6 human feet tall): you will yelp with delight at just how much more leg room they have managed to build into what is the same platform.

still doesn't mean i'd trade my ist for the new vitz, but i'd be lying if i said i didn't think about it over a few green tea ice-creams back in the warm spring (?) sunshine when they arrived in the showrooms.

also, i don't think the vitz has the ist 4wd option??

that's enough, sorry for rambling, off to bed now. p.s. i *heart* scionlife & can't believe i've only just recently discovered all the million & one things discussed here.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love the Vitz/Yaris, and will definatly look at one when they come out. Besides, if they can keep the weight to around 2000 lb's like the original Echo, I'll be even happier.

I also really like the Honda Fit, and hope the plans to bring it here are true.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have had toyotas all my life

My first Car: Toyota Tercel Extension Wagon 1986 & Toyota Truck 1986
2:Toyota Tercel 1994 with imported Toyota Paseo Engine
3:Toyota Echo 2001
4: Scion xB aka Toyota bB.

Im a toyota man, jeje, I know what i said.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The new vitz is hot.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey I know this is off topic but since your in japan n_o_i_s_e_s do you know what is replacing the toyota bB?
Old 09-26-2005, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by n_o_i_s_e_s

funny you should say that, lalagimp as it's *all* the other way around in japan. here the vitz (yaris) is generally cheaper than the ist (xa). i don't have time to search toyota.co.jp for prices (going to bed soon; it being past 11.30pm here already). both are toyota badged of course & sit together in shiny plastic 'netz' showrooms like red m&m's & green m& m's.

the new vitz (yaris) is waaaaaaay more customised & modded & nutted & bolted over here than almost any other car known to humanity! if you don't believe me, i'll look for some pictures tomorrow night if i have time & if this thread is still going strong.
What they didn't give on the site for the US was a sticker price. If I had to buy all of those things after sticker I'm sure it would be around $3,000... so where is it going to start at? 10k...12k...14k? No idea. I think the Yaris isn't going to have the same target demographic here that they've been trying to get with Scion, which is 18-24 year olds. If they aim for a slightly higher aged audience then there wouldn't be so many available aftermarket accessories floating around. xA already has it hard enough of the family of three to find aftermarket add-ons...
I dunno. Right now is all speculation by everyone and I assume we're going to start seeing prices here next year.
If I didn't already have the Scion I would be considering the Yaris. Ever since I was old enough to buy a car I've been in love with hatchbacks, and there just aren't enough choices for cars in this country when it comes to a 5 door.

Quick Reply: Is the XA getting replaced by this thing?