Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Is the xA right for me?...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member

Default Is the xA right for me?...

Hi all.
First of all, thanks for a great site/ community!

Okay, my wife and I are looking to purchase a used/ new car (if used then less than 2 years old). She is also expecting (yeah!!!) so we have to think of things like space (stroller in the trunk). We want a reliable, economical car that we plan on keeping for at least 5 years. I have always had great luck with Toyotas and the Scion is the natural consideration. Here are the cars we're thinking of:

xA (reasonable price, cool look, good mpg BUT I think they're rather small)

Nissan Versa (bigger, newer technology BUT must buy new)

Toyota Matrix/ (-EDIT-) Pontiac Vibe (lots of space, reliable, good mpg BUT quite expensive)

I should also mention we are over in Europe right now so I can't really test drive until getting back to California in 2 weeks. We have both accepted positions there and hence will be needing the transportation.

Let me just also extend my appreciation in advance for any help or advice you might lend.

best!
Old 07-24-2006, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The xA may be a little small for a stroller in the back but I'm not sure. You might also want to consider a Pontiac Vibe, all it is is a re-badged Toyota Matrix. Same engine, same tranny, same pretty much everything but the Pontiac looks better IMO and costs less.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member

I included the Vibe now but it's the exact same as the Matrix and generally a bit more expensive.

Also, does anyone know the dimensions of the trunk?

Anyways, I'm still pulling for the xA because of the incredibly reasonable price. I even found a woman with a 2006 w/7000 miles willing to sell it for $700 under blue book (so around $11,800).
Old 07-24-2006, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member

Pontiacs are crapola I'll tell yah that and Vibe's are'nt too pretty. If you want something that lasts longer I would go for either the Scion, Matrix or any Honda. You can get a used Honda that's still certified and it will last way past 100k miles. Not sure about fitting the stroller in the Xa, might be close but you can fold one of the seats down in the back & that would help considerably.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Strychnyne
Pontiacs are crapola I'll tell yah that and Vibe's are'nt too pretty. If you want something that lasts longer I would go for either the Scion, Matrix or any Honda. You can get a used Honda that's still certified and it will last way past 100k miles. Not sure about fitting the stroller in the Xa, might be close but you can fold one of the seats down in the back & that would help considerably.
Vibe's are acually cheaper than Matrixes because GM is more willing to haggle. The Pontiac Vibe isn't really a Pontiac, besides the badges and appearence, it's a Matrix, it will last the exact same amount as a Matrix because, again, it IS a Matrix.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member

Hmm might actually be not that bad then. I've just always heard bad things about Pontiac. The dealer I work at sells them also, no one hardly ever buys them, they sit outside & rot. Yes ok the Matrix & Vibe are similar but I'd still go with the Matrix, better for resale if you ask me.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why not the xB, same price and engine ect as the xA but has more room.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I'm very happy with my purchase of the xA, but would deffinitely steer you in another direction for your use. Matrix would suit your family much better due to size and the mpg with it is hard to beat. No clue on resale for the Matrix's
Old 07-25-2006, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

These are the cars I would consider:

Scion xA - Back might be too small for a large stroller. You'd probably just have to try it.

Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe - More space than the xA. Little less MPG. Cost More. Get whichever one you get a better deal on. They are the same car (unless you just really like the styling of one over the other).

Honda Fit - Similar to xA. More cargo area (would definitely fit the stroller). Not as nice looking as the xA. This is a new style, so you'd have to buy new.

Toyota Corolla - Good, solid car. The trunk would probably fit a stroller. Not as much cargo area if you fold down the seats though, so not as versatile. I think you can get a good deal on the Corolla right now. Depends on if you really want a hatch.

Nissan Versa - Sounds like you already know about it.

I personally wouldn't buy a used Scion xA just because they have held their resale value so well that you can almost buy a new one for the price of a used one.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One of those Hummer brand strollers with the huge wheels and enough storage to last the average female 3 hours at a mall won't fit without the seat(s) folded flat, and that takes up baby space.

OTOH, a smaller, umbrella-style stroller would do nicely in the back. Figure maybe 14" front-to-back at seatback height, maybe 24" at the bottom. About 12" high to the retractable cover,, and maybe 3.5 feet wide. Just a WAG though, no tape measure handy...
Old 07-25-2006, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kdepew
These are the cars I would consider:

Scion xA - Back might be too small for a large stroller. You'd probably just have to try it.

Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe - More space than the xA. Little less MPG. Cost More. Get whichever one you get a better deal on. They are the same car (unless you just really like the styling of one over the other).

Honda Fit - Similar to xA. More cargo area (would definitely fit the stroller). Not as nice looking as the xA. This is a new style, so you'd have to buy new.

Toyota Corolla - Good, solid car. The trunk would probably fit a stroller. Not as much cargo area if you fold down the seats though, so not as versatile. I think you can get a good deal on the Corolla right now. Depends on if you really want a hatch.

Nissan Versa - Sounds like you already know about it.

I personally wouldn't buy a used Scion xA just because they have held their resale value so well that you can almost buy a new one for the price of a used one.
The Vibe and Matrix acually use the Corolla's engine which gets more MPGs... Yes, the Matrix does have better resale value but I persoanlly think it's very ugly and since the Vibe is the exact same car mechanically, I like it better.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:50 AM
5 Year Member

I kinda like the look of the Vibes and Matrixes, so that's not really the issue. My wife is German and we have been living over here a while so we're used to small cars that get great gas mileage. That's kinda why I was tending towards an xA, but now I'm really starting to think about the Matrix/ Vibe more.
As for the Corolla, my wife hates the look and I think she just really wants a hatchback (as do I, but more for practicality than looks). Here in Europe they have some pretty funky, curved, hatchback Corollas that we would like but I have never seen a hatchback Corolla in the states... Anyone?
Old 07-25-2006, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by PupSocket
One of those Hummer brand strollers with the huge wheels and enough storage to last the average female 3 hours at a mall won't fit without the seat(s) folded flat, and that takes up baby space.

OTOH, a smaller, umbrella-style stroller would do nicely in the back. Figure maybe 14" front-to-back at seatback height, maybe 24" at the bottom. About 12" high to the retractable cover,, and maybe 3.5 feet wide. Just a WAG though, no tape measure handy...
I was thinking of strollers when I bought my xB.. boy some of them are huge! I couldn't believe it.. its like buying another car when you shop for them..
Old 07-25-2006, 06:58 AM
5 Year Member

maybe i'll have to seriously consider the xB . but my wife hates the looks... as for me, I don't particularly like it but the car as a package is certainly practical.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Take a closer look at the xA. The back seat is divided and will lie flat so that a bunch of stuff fits.
I'm sure a stroller would slide in there just fine because I've seen ppl posting here saying they put their bicycles in after taking the front wheel off.