Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2006 Scion xB Help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 12:52 AM

Default 2006 Scion xB Help please!!

I am sorry but this is going to be a long post... I recently purchased a 2006 Scion xB, and unfortunately by a bad used car salesman to boot (no lemon law here )!! I am really enjoying the car, but am trying to get it back to good working order, on a budget. About 2 weeks after purchase it started running funny- loosing power, stalling... I had the codes checked even though the CEL (apparently it has been disconnected)wasn't on and the oxygen sensor heaters (p0031 & p0037)were showing- when my bf went to change the sensors we found that they had actually removed the catalytic converter along with the upstream o2 sensor and straight piped it. Since then I have had a new cat welded on with the upstream o2 and replaced both sensors. It drives 95% better since, however every so often normally uphill it seems like it loses power right around 2 on the rpm gauge- no matter how much gas I give it I just have to wait for it to kick back into normal. Now when we run the codes it is giving us p0037, p0031 (still) but with the added p0352. I have run about 1/3 of a bottle of sea foam through it with a tank of regular gas. I was told if it really was the ignition coil (p0352) if I swapped the coil's the problem would switch and we would know for sure that was the problem. When we swapped them and ran the codes same exact codes came up. We did clean the MAF, which my bf said was extremely dirty, which I have noticed more power since the cleaning, and when it does hang up I can give it more gas and it seems to help. Any ideas?? New MAF? Wiring Harness for the coil??

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-21-2017 at 06:07 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have found that the "cheap" coils from the chain auto stores do not last more than 25K miles at best. You can find OEM Denso coils on Amazon for the same or lower price. I take the stand that if one is bad, then the rest are not far behind and replaced all 4. I also subscribe to, through trial and error, that you should use only Denso electronic parts on these cars.