Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Aftermarket Exhaust: loss of torque??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Aftermarket Exhaust: loss of torque??

hey everyone. i think it's time for an exhaust (just for looks and a little sound). anyway, i live in a mountainous area. i'm 5 minutes from a ski area at the top of a mountain. the xb does ok now with the stock setup. just wondering if i would lose any torque for climbing the steep hills if i go with an aftermarket axle back..
i searched, but turned up nothing.
am i just better off staying stock?
Old 05-19-2006, 12:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You shouldn't really loss any torque maybe 1 or 2 at most, nothing that noticable at all . You should still get some good back pressure with the new exhaust and get a few more hp and a good sound. Now if you changed the entire full exhaust out to 2.25" or bigger then you would lose torque.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a custom 2.25" cat-back exhast... I seemed OK, until I just eventually got tired of the noise and went back to stock. I noticed a big increase in off-the-line power throttle response with the stock exhaust back on.

I probably lost torque with my setup, but a simple axel-back should have very little effect... But who knows. After my experience the stock exhaust with a chrome tip works for me.

-THE DON
Old 05-19-2006, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You shouldn't feel any noticeable torque loss with any of the commonly available axle-back exhaust systems. However, if you go the cat-back or header-back route, you may feel some loss if you go too large with the pipe. You also want to make sure that if you get a header in the future to get a 4-2-1 design as opposed to a 4-1.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:24 AM

am I the only one that is wondering why TRd japans header which actually improves tourque and horsepower and has the dyno charts to prove it. Why is it not available here it also looks better than any header I have seen the pipeing is wild. If your going to do anything I would just buy a 100 dollar borla universal muffler and have it welded in. Since nobody that makes headers will give accurate charts or release accurate readings I'd leave the stock header alone as well as the muffler unless I just changed the muffler to the borla for extra sound and the universal way is cheaper than a 300 dollar dealer borla purchase. just my 2 cents people need to start asking trd to release the Xa and Xb header that is only available in japan at a resonable price here.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^^
The TRD header probably isnt released because it cant pass CARB testing.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

geeze when are we going to get a good 4-2-1, I know of a couple out there but they come from companies I dont trust well.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

With my TRD axleback, there's no apparent loss of torque anywhere thru the rpm range, with maybe a slight increase in high end horsepower. Mostly, it changed the way the car sounds. It's not really very loud, at all, but it does create a droning sound at ~3000 rpm in highway driving...

Another possibility that I ultimately shied away from was the Tanabe touring medalion, simply because it's a packed type muffler, as are most of the aftermarket models, and they have a tendency for the packing to deteriorate, getting louder and louder as time goes by... Tanabe claims it's not a problem with their ultra long fiber technology, but I'll let somebody else find out...
Old 06-05-2006, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a 4-2-1 is going to increase midrange, most likely...a long-tube 4-1 that moved the cat farther back would likely contribute to more low-end power. Not CARB legal, probably not legal anywhere, but potentially better for around-town than a 4-2-1. A 4-2-1 is probably going to overscavenge at lower RPM because of the short primary pipe expanding into a larger secondary pipe. Peak HP will probably be better with the 4-2-1, but for hills and stoplights, long-tube 4-1 is pretty much always a sure-fire bet on any engine.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If any manufacturers were willing to make a "twisty" 4-1 header with longer primaries that would still allow stock cat location, I'm sure we'd see this hold true. Any fabricators out there want to give this a shot?
Old 06-05-2006, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

if you use too large of piping for your setup you will lose torque.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:16 AM

trd should pass carb no problem japan more strict on emission standards for most part not so much on safety but no o2 sensor in header and is offered for 849 dollars which is outrageous u can get for 250us in japan I with TRD would stop looking at Xa as old people car and get with the program. so many good products in japan that haven't come here it sucks next tiem i go back i bringing a header and other ist parts back maybe even ist turbo kit and ecu
Old 06-09-2006, 12:11 AM

My Trd header for the ist should be here monday I'll post up pics got a great deal and have good source for part importation now but I found out the trd header has an 02 sensor hole you have to plug which is easy to do thats why they haven't brought it over but you can legally import it and run it as long as you plug the hole no problem there are only 3 in the country right now. I just got the 3rd and secured a way to get alot more I'm gonna dyno test it as soon as it is on I'm going to also post pics. P.S Borla makes the TRD muffler you can get at the dealership thats why I say go withthe 100 dollar universal muffler and have it welded in save some cash. the rest of the exhaust is stainless steel as well as the borla universal. so I see no real need for a catback or going up in pipe size unless you are pushing massive amounts of boost through the car.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

no scion headers is carb excet a minute few dc headers. and japans motor's are cleaner but they use no emissions equip and then change motor every 3 years.

oh and there's a definate raise in power with a nicely setup catback. stock piping is 1.75!!!! minuscule.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:52 AM

ok I'm telling you there is an o2 sensor hole that has to be plugged on the ist TRD header you will see please refrain from comments on header till the pictures are posted. some of the ist are turbo from the factory too didn't know if you knew that they keep that pretty hush hush but I will post the pictures so you can see as soon as it arrives.I promise the hole is there.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you getting the same header asthe one in this post?
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=122526
Old 06-09-2006, 02:58 AM

yes the exact same header except the bolt hole problem has been repaired by TRD and I got mine for 275 shipped. I can get more it's only a phonecall I just want to see how mine installs first on my Xa and then if people want them I can help them get them or basically any other part they want or need within reason. the only thing I cannot get are engines and sets of wheels as my guy will not transport them or ship them they are to bulky. and teh engines he has to do to much paperwork.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Darn, i would love an engine to work on and beef up...
Old 06-09-2006, 03:02 AM

I have a really rare spoon prototype XB hood carbon fiber that he is supposed to be sending me to sell on ebay it's one of a kind very well made when it arrives I'll post picks he says it's very special and unique I also have some high quality jdm front grills coming for both cars and some ist steering wheels,engine covers ect.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Postem when you getem...

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Exhaust: loss of torque??