Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

anyone modify and AEM to fit with fog lights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default anyone modify and AEM to fit with fog lights?

I have purchased an AEM intake for my 06 box. its the cold air not the short ram but wasnt thinking when getting it and i have fog lights. So it doesnt work. My question is has anyone modified it so it will fit? I was thinking of cutting off the last 90 so the filter sits sideways instead of straight up. Would this work? The intake does have the bypass filter. Does anyone see a problem with doing this?
Old 09-29-2009, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have an easier fix, no need to cut, and this is what the dealer did on my 04 which came with the aem cold air.

look under the front drivers side, in front of the tire, but behind the front lip... See where the intake bracket bolts up to the box... (i'm talking about the lower mount, the one you can only see when you have the car up on a jack, just a few inches from where the bottom of the filter is). i dont know exactly how to describe the location of the bolt, but if you dry assemble the cold air on the floor you can see the bolt up location i am talking about.

Take the bolt - should be 2-2.5'' long... Get a 1'' nylon spacer, or like 20 washers to go over the bolt.. then install the CAI with the mounting tab under the spacer. This will move the top of the filter down enough to clear the left fog light. If you dont know what i'm talking about, or want to see a pic, send me a pm, and i'll take a quick pic, and post to this thread.

personally, i would not cut the tubing if it were me, its much easier to install a spacer.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i didnt think the bolt was that long but i could be wrong if its the bolt i am thinking of. if you dont mind post a pic for me just to make sure.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was surprised how long it actually was when i removed it once, and i thought, damn, this thing just keeps turning!

i'll go snap a pic on my next break, and post up shortly within the hour.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, strike that... my car is too low and my camera is too big to get underneath w/o jacking the car up.

basically its the only bolt that secures the lower section. if you pull it out, and its short, simply go to the hardware store and get a longer bolt, while you are there getting a spacer to fit over said bolt