Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Apexi S-AFC ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Apexi S-AFC ...

Has any one tried hooking up an Apexi S-AFC to try to tune the car to get more power? I had a S-AFC on my Accord and after tunning I got 15whp extra!
Old 05-04-2004, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

someone on here has it setup so he gets 450-500 miles a tank... opposite of power, but good fuel saver.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member

What is it you guys are talking about? I've never heard of that part before...
Old 05-04-2004, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

I think of it more like a gameboy for the car.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I don't really know that much on S-AFC but if you want to read upon it here's a link http://www.apexi-usa.com/electronics_safc.asp And Ryan(Greenbean) has one on his box, he said that it did help out.

Just my 2 cents,
Old 05-04-2004, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

they expensive though
Old 05-04-2004, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Apexi S-AFC ...

Originally Posted by LavaBox_v1
I had a S-AFC on my Accord and after tunning I got 15whp extra!
...Your car must have been running like ___ before that tune...

basically, SAFC tricks your ecu into thinking its running more lean or more rich.. therefore the ecu will add ot subtract fuel. get it? got it? good! too bad it's not that easy. Without logging software, or wide band A/F meters, it's near impossible to know what you're doing. As far as a 15 WHP gain.. that's seems out of question for a accord, unless it was major modded. We'll never know what kinda gains we'll see from
a AFC until someone tries it, but my estimate is around 2-5 whp.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tbblizzard
they expensive though
They are a VERY POWERFUL tuning tool, you can get a used one for round 180 ish give or take. Way better option for those looking to start tuning without breaking the
bank for $1000+ standalone system.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

MY Accord had Intake, Headers, Exhaust, Pullys & Ignition.

*EDITED*
It is spliced into the ECU harness and ADJUSTS the fuel curves. By adjusting the fuel curves your car will run smoother and will allow for more power to be gained. It gets rid of the fuel spikes and dips and cleans up your fuel alot ... the main compnent in making power is fuel ... if your fuel is set right you make more power ...

Its not that expensise you can get the S-AFC V1 for about $200 and the S-AFC V2 for about $300. If you think about the possible gains in power and fuel milage its a great upgrade ...

The only catch is you have to find someone to tuen it properly on the dyno. It takes about an hour or two depending on how bad the fuel curve is but its well worth it once done.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LavaBox_v1
MY Accord had Intake, Headers, Exhaust, Pullys & Ignition.

S-AFC dosen't trick the ECU it remaps the ECU. It is spliced into the ECU harness and remaps the fuel curves. By remaping the fuel curves your car will run smoother and will allow for more power to be gained. It gets rid of the fuel spikes and dips and cleans up your fuel alot ... the main compnent in making power is fuel ... if your fuel is set right you make more power ...
Again... THIS DOES NOT REMAP YOUR ECU LIKE A STANDALONE DOES. I understand what you're saying.. but you shouldn't put incorrect information into peoples heads. Your ECU senses voltage in the wires you tap into in the ecu. When you set the curve for example -10% @ 2000 rpm... the SAFC just adjusts voltage accordingly. You set it, then the AFC tricks your ECU into thinking that it's doing something else, which in turn makes it ADD OR SUBTRACT FUEL.. the safc doesnt do it, you ECU does.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I edited by statment ... but bottom line for the price the gains can be very good. The more mods you have the better. The S-AFC will make your engine run better with all the more and you can squeez more power out of that engine!
Old 05-04-2004, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have read up on this and it makes a lot of sense. The biggest problem with getting power from a Scion is the MAF sensor input going out of the range of the stock ECU perameters causing the "Check Engine Light" to come on. That is the reason our aftermarket intakes use only a 2.25" pipe when 2.5" would make more power. By adjusting the voltage output of the MAF via the AFC to the ECU we should be able to make more radical modifications to the intake and exhaust for more power and the AFC will force the sensor inputs to be within peramaters the ECU can deal with.

A good A/F meter would be necessary to tune things properly while dyno time would not be necessary but considerably speed things up. Careful driving in varying loads would get you very close to correct tune.

I forsee a 150hp N/A 1.5L Scion on the street within the next year.... Who needs a $3500 supercharger!!!

ken
Old 05-04-2004, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wish i didn't sell my SAFC now!!

Ken,

I'd love to see a scion with that high of a whp. to be honest, i will be more than happy with 130 whp... if we are @ 90 WHP now, just think of what 130 will be... anyways.. you are right... if we tapped the wire for the MAF sensor then ...hmmmmm.. or we could try the MAF translators from dsms, but i dont know how cost efficient that would be.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

question... if one person gets the tuning down, is everyone else able to just use the same or is everyone's going to be different because of the different mods on peoples cars?
Old 05-04-2004, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by tbblizzard
question... if one person gets the tuning down, is everyone else able to just use the same or is everyone's going to be different because of the different mods on peoples cars?
Every cars tuning method will be different, as you noted, because we all will have different modifications done.

Even stock for stock, two cars will have to be dyno tuned seperately, because not all engines are created equally as well.

You can't use someone elses tuning as a base for your tuning on these things...the tuning alone will cost you more than the actual SAFC unit.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

agreed.

You can get a pocket logger ( i dont know if it is compatible with our cars ecu) and monitor timing and such and learn to tune yourself.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's true that every engine is slightly different but for stock engines a single set up would be very close. Each modification creates slightly different needs and each MFG part is slightly different from each other. A SPF intake would need slightly different tuning from a Injen or AEM intake. EL headers vs DC headers=same situation.

Personally, I think my xA has a "very good day" engine, it runs much stronger than a stock engine has a right to....

As a side note, I have my prototype 2.5" intake just about completed so I can begin testing some theories I have on the short comings of aftermarket Scion intakes. If my theories are correct it will be the best performing intake so far but only testing will prove it. I'll post the results when they are done and maybe put it into production.

ken
Old 05-04-2004, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Tunning can be done in about an hour on a dyno with the right person doing the tunning. I used to work for Cybernation Motorsports in Ft. Lauderdale and I used to tune cars all day long. On average it takes about 5 pulls to get the car tuned. I have tuned cars in as little as 3 pulls and as much as 10 pulls. It all depends on how bad the fuel curve it and how close to perfect you want it. Depending on the car and mods I have see gains of OVER 20whp just by getting a good tune.

You can tune the car on the streets with a good A/F meter but it is alot harder and takes alot more time. You can't reach the speeds and rpms you can on a dyno with out getting a speeding ticket.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

how much do you think it'd run you to get it tuned?
Old 05-04-2004, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You figure $200 for a V1 S-AFC
Plus what ever the shops charges for an hour of dyno time ...
Cybernation charged $49 per pull and $99 per hour of tunning ...

Quick Reply: Apexi S-AFC ...