Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Clicking noise coming from injectors

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by vintage42
Originally Posted by skullsandcandy
... I know the injectors do make some noise...
I would not think so. Do injectors have any moving parts to make noise?
yes they "click" each time they open to let fuel out.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Well I called the service manager and he apologized up and down about the service. It turns out the rep never added that to my work order and still had it in the system. Since he basically begged me to come back in and give them another chance I did.

This time around I made it very clear that they needed to check the injectors. What did they do this time? They had the rep, a receptionist and the tech drive around in my car and they couldn't hear the noise. According to them they couldn't hear any clicking and the car is running normally. Does anyone else's xB shudder at idle like it is going to stall out and call it normal?

The best part is that when she called me she informed me that I had "extensive modifications in the engine and inside the car". Apparently they pulled apart my top end and saw my new build up in all of 3 hrs. I am really amazed! Also word to wise if you have anything other than a stock stereo you have extensive modifications to your interior. That was the fun part the sad part was after she said that.

She actually told me my warranty was voided because of my "extensive modifications" and I about reached through the phone and slapped her. I actually pulled up my copy of the warranty act and read her the intro to it. Told her she was not only wrong but in serious trouble if she denied me further service. She then paused and ignored everything I said and told me my car was ready for pickup.

At this point I was for obvious reasons completely livid and went down to once again talk to the service manager. He really didn't have much to say in terms of educating his employees but tossed me some bs about having a call in with corporate for an xA with a similar issue. He says he will call me tomorrow morning with a solution and time frame. I really doubt that is going to happen.

The funniest thing was when I got home an hour later I got a call asking me how I would rate my service. Poor guy was just doing his job but he got an earful... I couldn't help it

So now I have an appointment with Toyota of Lake City on Friday. Hopefully they don't give me the run around and blatantly lie to me like Toyota of Seattle.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

mine shudders at idle , especially with ac on.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I think I am being too kind when I say shuddering then. I am used to a slightly rough idle but I am talking about constant vibration at idle to the point that entire cabin is vibrating. I am not referring to the shudder when the compressor kicks in.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Scion Corp. none of these dealership bs
Old 06-12-2007, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

No doubt about that this has gotten to be ridiculous. I am still waiting to hear back from the first dealerships service manager but I really doubt I will at this point. I also have an appointment on Friday to go to the only dealership where I actually know anyone. Hopefully they treat me with a little more respect.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

well if you have a supercharger you will lose all chance of powertrain being warranted anymore.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by skullsandcandy
Wow. I am simply stunned at the dealership I went to (Toyota of Seattle). I went there for my first oil change (hey they are free mind as well use them up!) and they were extremely courteous. They even washed, vacuumed the inside and put a bottle of water in my cup holder.

This time they were slow, ignored my service request and charged me for checking my brakes. I dropped it off specifically for the noisy injector but when they called me they said the tech found nothing.

Here is my phone conversation with them:

Me: Did they find anything wrong with the injectors?
Rep: The tech said everything is running great.
Me: So that clicking noise is normal? It never sounded like that up until last week.
Rep: Well I can come out and listen when you pick it up if you like.
Me: Okay but the tech did check it?
Rep: Yup

When I got there I had the rep come out and listen to the noise. Heres my conversation with him:

Rep: Looks like you've got a lot of mods on this. Those hood struts threw me for a loop (thats what did it? Seriously!?!?)
Me: Not really its just a few basic bolt ons.
Rep: Start it up and let me listen.
Me: Sure thing.
Rep: Well it could be your .... *points to tube and thinks* intake
Me: I really doubt that since its on a vibration mount and the noise is coming strongly from the other side of the engine bay. Put your head over the injectors for a minute and listen.
Rep: I hear them clicking but that is normal they do have to pump fuel.
Me: Right I know that but they shouldn't be that noisy it sounds like one is struggling look how the car is shaking.
Rep: Idle is a bit rough probably from the bolts ons but the noise sounds normal to me.
Me: Really? This sounds normal.
Rep: Yup.
Me: Okay...

At this point I knew I was getting no where and I had to go pick up my fiance so I took off. Needless to say upon inspection of the paper work they didn't even list it in my work order that I specifically asked them to check the injectors.

Can you believe that?

I am off to another dealership as soon as I can get a service appointment.
All they gotta do is connect the Toyota scan tool. Takes one minute and it will say if the injector voltage is right, if it's sticking or operating irratically im sure u would have thrown a CEL by now. I think you are worried about nothing, but i gotta here the car first. Valves arn't silent you're gonna here them.