Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Clutch Install Can anyone help me (all done flix inside)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Clutch Install Can anyone help me (all done flix inside)

hey wassup guys im wanting to install my clutch that i got from TurboToyotas but im not sure how to start...........well as far as what to unbolt and take off b4 i can crack open the tranny......im pretty decent when it comes to mechanical stuff.........i can do motor swaps and stuff when it comes to hondas..........but yea can someone jump in and help me out some please thx alot........this will be my first stepping stone to go boost next will be rods then pistons

p.s. thx again Todd for the clutch kit
Old 03-23-2007, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dont take this wrong. If you dont know how to do it, just take it to a shop. Now a days with forums, etc. alot of owners are able to do things themselves...at a risk. If it were that easy, every shop would be out of business. With that said, what is it that you want help with. A walk through?
Old 03-23-2007, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you can do a motor swap you can do a clutch swap. FWD is a pain, but doable if you have the proper resources. Most important thing is supporting the motor when you remove the necessary motor mounts. Pretty much straight forward. Bench pressing the tranny back in place is also fun... easier if you have a strong buddy to do it.

I have yet to do a Scion, but I've done several AWD DSMs and on those you have to drop the exhaust, transfer case, and the tranny which weighs 120+lbs. Pretty easy... 6 hours top.

Lastly, if you do it, get a large sheet of cardboard. Every time you remove a bolt, punch it through the cardboard and write a description of where it came from. That way you don't have a bolt pile when you are done.

Spend the money you saved on labor on more parts or tools. Change your friends clutch next time and charge them a reduced rate!
Old 03-23-2007, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Jason... I agree with Rollhard take it to a shop.. If you are determined to do it yourself then you should buy the tech manual/service manual on it and it will tell you how to do everything.. Thats how I learned how to remove mine in my skittle.. Also hit up Fusionscion (Peter) he did his... and he said it was a mother Fer.. But maybe he can give you some guiadance..
Old 03-23-2007, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i thought about a shop but i dunno if they would charge me a arm and a leg to do it for me........yea i know if i can do a motor swap i can do a clutch swap its just that this time the car isnt a honda........where can i get a service manual? i think i have one now but after going through it there isnt much that it is tellin me i guess what im sayin is that the manual i got isnt detailed enough.......i dont have to put the clutch in now its just that i want it in so i can see/feel the difference when i go to the track at the end of this month........did i make any sense at all?
Old 03-23-2007, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by itsme
yea i thought about a shop but i dunno if they would charge me a arm and a leg to do it for me........yea i know if i can do a motor swap i can do a clutch swap its just that this time the car isnt a honda........where can i get a service manual? i think i have one now but after going through it there isnt much that it is tellin me i guess what im sayin is that the manual i got isnt detailed enough.......i dont have to put the clutch in now its just that i want it in so i can see/feel the difference when i go to the track at the end of this month........did i make any sense at all?
I wish I could help you more without cheating myself. We have a shop to run here and if i went to the car and took pics, writing down a step by step instructional manual, I might as well close down this place. We get a lot of cars that were DIYs from customers. They try to do it themselves and end up doing more damage to their cars than anything. When you take your car to a reputable shop, you're not only paying for their time, but their experience and skill.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rollhard
Originally Posted by itsme
I wish I could help you more without cheating myself. We have a shop to run here and if i went to the car and took pics, writing down a step by step instructional manual, I might as well close down this place. We get a lot of cars that were DIYs from customers. They try to do it themselves and end up doing more damage to their cars than anything. When you take your car to a reputable shop, you're not only paying for their time, but their experience and skill.
Yea i know what you mean so there's nothing wrong with that.......but yea i may or maynot have the clutch in this sunday coming up with the help of a friend and a 12 pack but yea he is more experienced then I am at it so he will b a big help to me later on down the line
Old 03-24-2007, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The hard part of doing the clutch on the XB is #1, the rear motor mount is a _____ to get to...and #2, you have to **** the transmission diagonally to the front in order to clear the rear brackets. It was a pain in the butt with the car on the lift and would probably be a nightmare for you if you were doing it on jack stands.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The hard part of doing the clutch on the XB is #1, the rear motor mount is a biscuit to get to...and #2, you have to rooster the transmission diagonally to the front in order to clear the rear brackets. It was a pain in the butt with the car on the lift and would probably be a nightmare for you if you were doing it on jack stands.
thx for the advice........i could go to a family friends shop to put it on the lift but im not sure if he still owns the shop any more so i guess ill prolly have to settle with the jack stands
Old 03-26-2007, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

welpz just finished the clutch install not long ago prolly like 2 hours ago...........it was like a 10 hour job ...........but so far so good........ima need me a new set of pastic wheel weel thing since forgot to bolt it back up and now their all shredded....... .........as far as drivability its ok by me but i think i need a diff. throw out bearing or need to keep bleeding my clutch cuzz it doesnt go into gear like it used too all smooth and all like its difficult to get it into first and it jumps a lil when i put it into reverse..........any clues on what to do? o yea i got flix too but ill put em up tomorrow cuzz im really tired right now............
Old 03-26-2007, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You need/should change the throwout bearing when you change the clutch.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You need/should change the throwout bearing when you change the clutch.
thx for the input will do as soon as i feel better.........
Old 03-27-2007, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

predictions on what will break from my clutch install: tranny, axel, rear motor mount.........all from wheel hop......da clutch grabs like hell.....i can bark my tires going into from 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 gears......the clutch is a Stage 4 clutch from Competition Clutch
Old 03-27-2007, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sadly i gotta take everything back out and replace the throwout bearing and while doing that make sure everything is in working order as in what did i f* up if any
Old 03-28-2007, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Holy stretched brake line!!!!! Maybe it's just the angle of the picture, but that looks horrible! Support the line and take the slack out of it next time...

Did the kit come with a throw out bearing? Most clutch kits include the TOB. Pretty much considered a 'must replace' when you are doing the clutch. Did you turn the fly wheel also?
Old 03-28-2007, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea when i was taking the pic the line was streachech but i took care of it when i came to realize it after taking the pic.......as far as the throwout bearing i didnt get one but ill ask TurboToyotas about it and hope that he sends me one if it is suppose to have one cuzz i know that i need one cuzz the stock one isnt doing me to well right now........as for turning the flywheel i dunno what your talkin about?
Old 03-28-2007, 08:31 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

well when you replace a clutch you need to turn a flywheel or in other words get it resurfaced. Otherwise it may cause uneven wear on your brand new clutch.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by equinox2355
well when you replace a clutch you need to turn a flywheel or in other words get it resurfaced. Otherwise it may cause uneven wear on your brand new clutch.
naw i didnt i get it done when i replace my throw out bearing i just didnt have to much time to get everything done dat day..........i so need to get two consecutive days off of work.......
Old 03-28-2007, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also a good idea to replace flywheel bolts when you take them out. Use Loctite when you but them back in and torque to spec. You switch to a SS clutch line yet?
Old 03-28-2007, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

naw thats still on my to do list.......but do i really need it? thats the onlee thing running through my head.....is a SS clutch line actually needed..........

Quick Reply: Clutch Install Can anyone help me (all done flix inside)