Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Crankshaft Pulley pin sheered off..

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 05:29 AM
SL Member

Default Crankshaft Pulley pin sheered off..

About a week ago the key that goes through the main drive pulley sheered off and the bolt eventually backed out causing me to lose drive on all my belts...I called the Toyota dealership and was able to get a replacement Pin and bolt... but it seems like they either gave me the wrong part, or the hole for the current one has been drilled out (Which I'd imagine would be extremely hard to do with a basic drill)

So looking to replace it with something that is going to last. I was thinking about finding keystock that fits properly and cutting it to length. The current key I got from Toyota barely fits (way too short)

has anyone else had this issue? I've Googled and got one 2 results which didn't lead to much help...

This is for a 2005 Scion xB, btw.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

I'm guessing what actually happened is the bolt backed out first and that allowed the pulley to start wobbling and 'egging' out the hole for the crankshaft pin and that's why the new one doesn't fit.

You could try to find round stock that fits the hole but I would imagine you'd need some pretty healthy stock so it didn't snap and lead you right back to where you are now. The other option might be to see if you can find a kit, I've seen them come with some of the centrifugal supercharger kits, that provides a template for drilling a new hole for the key/pin. This is typically used when you're adding a second keyway but you might be able to find something out there that works for you.

Was it the stock pulley on the car or an aftermarket lightened/underdrive pulley that had been installed on it...pictures might help also.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:00 AM
SL Member

Stock pulley. Here is a picture.

Snapped again tonight, So I gotta try to drill out the old pin once again...

Can't find the part anywhere online...
Old 11-10-2018, 01:21 AM
SL Member

Pretty sure I am screwed, coz I drilled the old one out and another post suggested not to do that... so NOW I have to find a key stock that will fit the now larger hole - No idea where I will find it at.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

At this point you might be better off drilling a new hole, that fits the pin you got from Toyota, directly opposite the 'old' hole...if I were you I would go to Home Depot/Lowe's and get a large washer or two that the crank pulley bolt can pass through and then drill a hole in the washer(s) that's the same size you need for the pin, use the crank pulley bolt to bolt your washer jig to the crank and re-drill.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:53 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by MileHightC
At this point you might be better off drilling a new hole, that fits the pin you got from Toyota, directly opposite the 'old' hole...if I were you I would go to Home Depot/Lowe's and get a large washer or two that the crank pulley bolt can pass through and then drill a hole in the washer(s) that's the same size you need for the pin, use the crank pulley bolt to bolt your washer jig to the crank and re-drill.
Sadly I don't have a drill powerful enough or drill bits that will be able to drill through the crank. I'm probably either 1. Going to sell the car or 2. Try to find a pin that will fit the current hole, put loctite on it and torque it down and hope for the best. There is no way in hell I'm going to be able to drill through a crank with as tough as they are..
Old 11-11-2018, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

If you choose to sell it you're definitely not going to get too much for a car that doesn't run...you'd be better off either buying a drill and bits that will work or have it towed to a garage that could perform the fix for you. You'd be far better off than trying to sell it 'as-is' for what amounts to a relatively easy fix.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:30 PM
SL Member

I ordered stainless steel grade 316 dowels from Fastenal and a new harmonic balancer. Cleaned up the crank and dowel pin hole, applied some medium strength threadlocker and torqued it down.. Let's hope it last.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you have to get back in there again... A few other places you may be able to try are
Graingers - link to pins page - These guys have a lot of local stores, they won't have it in stock, but you can save on shipping
McMaster Carr - Link to main page - Pins are in that top line
MSC - Link to pins page - Another industrial supply company - I bet there are more

A word about materials.
300 series stainless is usually soft - about the same strength as aluminum - unless it has been cold worked, so you want to look for the yield stress level if it's given or the words 1/2 hard, fully hard etc to get a cold worked or harder pin. 400 series stainless is generally hardened
I looked at the materials in MSC solid pin page, which you have to scroll down for, and they show a 4140 and grade 8 material. These are steel and very high strength.

Using the thread locker is a good idea - also spread it thinly over the mating face of the crankshaft end.

While the pulleys will generally see a load in one direction, the harmonic damper will have oscillating loads as the free floating ring reacts thru the fluid or rubber in the damper. That is probably what got things loose.
Good luck
Old 11-25-2018, 06:52 PM
SL Member

So far so good. Replaced the balancer, my own pin and bolt and torqued it down with threadlocker 242 medium strength... did a 250+ mile trip of highway and city driving yesterday without issue, Not to mention all the city driving I did over the last couple of days. I'm going to keep a close eye on it - Coz if it sheers the pin I used to replace with, I'm SOL coz I don't think I'll be able to drill through it.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:15 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by RichBinAZ
If you have to get back in there again... A few other places you may be able to try are
Graingers - link to pins page - These guys have a lot of local stores, they won't have it in stock, but you can save on shipping
McMaster Carr - Link to main page - Pins are in that top line
MSC - Link to pins page - Another industrial supply company - I bet there are more

A word about materials.
300 series stainless is usually soft - about the same strength as aluminum - unless it has been cold worked, so you want to look for the yield stress level if it's given or the words 1/2 hard, fully hard etc to get a cold worked or harder pin. 400 series stainless is generally hardened
I looked at the materials in MSC solid pin page, which you have to scroll down for, and they show a 4140 and grade 8 material. These are steel and very high strength.

Using the thread locker is a good idea - also spread it thinly over the mating face of the crankshaft end.

While the pulleys will generally see a load in one direction, the harmonic damper will have oscillating loads as the free floating ring reacts thru the fluid or rubber in the damper. That is probably what got things loose.
Good luck

I'm looking at dowel pins on Grainger... and they have 303 Stainless Steel, Alloy Steel, Hardened Steel, and steel. Which out of all of those would be best? And does anyone know the size of the actual dowel pin? Coz 1/8 seems just a little too loose. Maybe it's some kind of metric size?
Old 11-27-2018, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It looks like they only have 3 & 4mm pins. 1/8" = 3.175mm. 5/32" = 3.969mm and I'm pretty sure they would be metric
so the hole has probably been beaten open a bit if the 1/8" is loose.
If you have to go back in, try measuring the hole diameter using the blunt end of a drill bit
It may be possible to use a spring pin or a tapered pin to get a tight fit
Old 11-27-2018, 11:27 PM
SL Member

Wouldn't a spring pin be even weaker since it's hollow?

What's the best material that Grainger sells I could use? I'm going to redo it eventually. It's been holding fine so far, but I wanna re-do it and future-proof it