Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

DIY YDR Intake install

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 08:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default DIY YDR Intake install

This is a DIY guide to installing a YDR intake. You can get more details on buying this intake at the thread below:

Thanks to suprman1124 for getting it to me so quickly. Installation took me about an hour and I took my time to take pictures (it took me longer to write this DIY). It was pretty easy and the instructions were accurate although they did not come with pictures. The quality of the intake is fantastic and there is a strong resemblance to the Injen intake. Chances are, these instructions would work for that intake as well.

Tools you will need:

- 10mm deep socket and wrench
- Flathead screwdriver
- Phillips screwdrivers (small, medium, and large)
- Razor blade or cutting knife

This is what you get when you open the box.

Step 1: The first thing I did was remove the battery. Although the instructions do not require you to remove the battery, I think it will make life easier when you have that big obstacle out of the way, especially when you put the intake into the car. Start out by loosening the two bracket nuts with a 10mm deep socket wrench and remove the bracket. Then loosen up the battery terminals with the same 10mm socket and separate them from the terminals. Lift the battery out and it should look like the picture below.

Step 2: Loosen the hose clamp at the throttle body with your 10mm socket.

Step 3: Loosen the 10mm socket at the top of that same hose at the intake box. Squeeze the hose clip on the crankcase hose hose and disconnect the hose from the intake duct. Finally, loosen both ends of the intake duct and remove from the car.

Step 4: Disconnect the harness from the mass airflow sensor. This is the sensor that sits on top of the stock airbox.

Step 5: Take a screwdriver and insert it into the tab on the vacuum switching valve as shown below. Pry against the VSV and pull up on the VSV to remove detach it from the airbox.

Step 6: Pop the 2 clips on the airbox to remove the cover and the air filter. Set these aside. I used a 10mm socket with 2 long extension bits to get at the 3 bolts that hold the bottom of the airbox to the car. Remove the 3 bolts.

Step 7: Loosen one final 10mm bolt on the intake pipe next to the front right headlamp. Once you remove this bolt, the intake can be maneuvered out.

Step 8: Take the supplied L-bracket, one of the supplied screws, and supplied washer then fasten it to the factory transmission housing brace. Tighten the screw with a large head phillips.

Step 9: Snap the VSV onto the L-bracket

Step 10: Take the supplied vibration absorbing rubber mount and screw it into the pre-tapped hole located at the base of the battery.

Step 11: Take the long YDR rubber hose and cut it in half. These will be the hoses that attach to the crankcase, oil diffusing filter, and intake pipe.

Step 12: Loosen the 4 10mm bolts at the engine cover shown on the image below. Then remove the engine cover.

Step 13: Shown in the picture below, there is a hose clamp that holds the crankcase hose. Squeeze that clamp to loosen it and remove the hose.

Step 14: Attach the oil diffusing filter to one of the hoses that you cut in half. Tighten one of the supplied hose clamps on it to hold it in place.

Step 15: Take the other end of that hose and slip it over the crankcase valve. Tighten it to the crankcase valve with the supplied hose clamp.

Step 17: Slide the supplied large, short hose onto the throttle body and tighten it on with one of the hoseclamps.

Step 18: Remove the K&N filter from the box. Slide it onto the YDR intake pipe and tighten it down with a hose clamp.

Step 19: Take the YDR intake and stick it into the cavity behind the headlamp. This part can be tricky if you don't get the orientation right. Study the picture below carefully and it will be a breeze. This is why I recommend removing the battery.

Step 20: With the K&N filter end inserted into the cavity, take the other end of the intake pipe and slide it onto the hose that's attached to the throttle body. Make sure that the mount on the intake pipe aligns itself onto the rubber mount in step #10. Tighten the hose clamp onto the intake pipe.

Step 21: Take the supplied washer and nut and tighten them over the vibration absorbing rubber mount.

Step 21: On the top of the stock airbox, you will need to remove the mass airflow sensor by removing two phillips screws and pulling it out.

This is what the sensor looks like:

Step 22: Take the mass airflow sensor and mount it onto the YDR intake. Use the factory screws to hold it in.

Step 23: Take the harness that you removed in step #4 and plug it back into the mass airflow sensor. It will be a bit of a stretch.

Step 24: Take the other half of the hose you cut in half and plug one end into the oil diffusing filter and the other end into the YDR intake pipe. Tighten with the supplied hose clamps.

Step 25: Put the battery back in the car. Make sure you get the positive and negative terminals right. Remount the bracket and terminals. Also put the engine cover back on.

This is what the end result looks like:

Old 08-11-2005, 11:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice right up. So does the butt dyno fill any difference from the new intake?
Old 08-11-2005, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member

It looks just like the Injen, I mean like a dead ringer. Must be the same company that makes the aluminum piece.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow awesome write-up!
Old 08-11-2005, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Box of Rain
It looks just like the Injen, I mean like a dead ringer. Must be the same company that makes the aluminum piece.
I agree. If you stamp Injen on it, noone would know the difference.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member

nice man i like JUST put one of these on my box. i can feel a diffrence. nice product. nice write up . i could have used it.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the kind words.

As for being able to feel the difference, you have to take these opinions with a grain of salt. My butt dyno is not very accurate. My car has less than 2k miles on it so I don't really know it well enough to say for sure. I never really push the car. My other car is an NSX so it's a lot slower in comparison and I don't think my xB will ever be a fast car. But according to the sticky, the Injen short ram intake adds about 4 HP and almost 5 pounds of torque. That's about a 4% increase in power which is pretty good and $20 per HP is not bad at all. This thing looks identical to the Injen intake so I would expect similar numbers since this isn't rocket science.

I like the fact that there is a bit more room in the engine bay with the stock airbox out. Everything fit well and it's well engineered. I'm really picky on all the little details and this intake alleviated all of my concerns.

I originally bought this intake because my Scion dealership told me it would help get rid of the hissing/sucking sound at startup. It doesn't do that but it does mask it with it's own hissing noise. At $85, I figured I couldn't go wrong. It was an easy power add-on. If you are looking for a great intake at a great price, look no further.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NIce write up. I noticed that on eBay and thought it looks pretty close to the Injen as well.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:52 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'm calling FAQ on this one. That's a really nice write up.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

let me just start and say the seller is freakin awesome =) sent paypal at night, was shipped next morning and arrived in 2 days =) thanks man!

I installed this on my box, its freakin awesome! be it this is my first power mod Ive ever really done to any vehicle lol...but I can tell you there is a difference in both sound and responsiveness/power.

I honestly would have to say, I drove a friend and I around after we installed it and I floored that thing like I used to sometimes...with both me and my friend in the car it felt like when it was before it was installed and just me in the car. Thats the power it felt that it increased in, equal to one person sitting in the car! which is pretty good...then the fun started when I drove it home...man its a lot peppier now or whatever word you wanna describe it, when it was just me driving home, it was awesome....freakin amazes me our little engines put out this much speed =) - granted its not fast but man, its faster then half the 4 cylinder cars out there. Anyways, its a decent improvement over stock and for 85$ cant beat that at all!

cant wait to do my exhaust and other stuff I have in mind =)
Thanks again

I recommend this to everyone.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Installing mine next week..Thanks for a very detailed install intructions..
Old 09-24-2005, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

yep this is a great how to..I used it..and great product......
Old 09-24-2005, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

This DIY fell through the cracks. I'll add it to the tech section and move it to the FAQ forum in a few days. Good job!
Old 10-07-2005, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

on the 06 box, the VSV connection is different, it doesn't clip on like in the picture.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

yeah it doesn't clip in. just use a ziptie to tie it to the L shape bracket or something. thats how i mod'd mine.

anyone think making a shield would help? completely block off the filter from the engine bay. i'm thinking about doing this but seems like not worth it?
Old 10-10-2005, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

it might but the location of that cone is pretty good...if someone had a dhield I would've bought it
Old 04-02-2006, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics

Installed mine today, about a hour plus time to go get machine screws (#4Mx1/2") for reattaching the MAP to the YDR tube. Also the "L" brkt. can be drilled slightly to reattach the"Pod" w/ the original screw (no snap as on older models). Removing the Battery is a "Must".
Overall great product and kit. The Tech Article & Pic's. we invaluable.
It!!
Old 04-05-2006, 06:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default .....NO LINK HERE........

Looks good and easy.
I want to buy one, but what is it? A YDR Intake? YDR does not show anything on e-bay.

You can get more details on buying this intake at the thread below:
I ran my cursor over every word incase there was a link to what this product is called.
Short ram? Cold air? What is this thing? $85? Great, where?

Thanks for the DIY, can you add a link to a vendor or something.
Any clue would help.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is a Short Ram. Contact benyfang@gmail.com

He is the one who sells them. I have it and love it.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ......WOW...THANKS....

Install is complete. WOW Nice pipe! These instructions are great, and the photo's are so helpful. Many thanks. See photo below of my completed set-up.

Quick Reply: DIY YDR Intake install