Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

eBay header review. No pictures but some insight.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default eBay header review. No pictures but some insight.

I bought this on eBay:

http://redirectingat.com/?id=42X122&...%26viewitem%3D

It was $25 plus $40 shipping so $65 total.

I was leary about how good the quality could be, but it was truly exceptional. The welds were professional, There was no extra extrusion or junk metal inside the collector. It came with gaskets for both the engine side and exhaust side. I re-used the donut gasket with perfect results.

Most of all. The fitment, was PERFECT. I bought 5 different types of bolts from Lowes and ended up finding the size that fits right for this header and returning the rest. If anybody purchases this header the bolts you need are.

3/8" by 1.5 inches long. I used regular washers on both sides and a single locking washer on the side that I was tightening down. I used nylon stop bolts. The thread was #16.

Just as an aside, I think a lot of the clamour about installing the headers is unfounded. I think a lot of the people on this site are just first time car enthusiasts who arent used to getting their hands in tight spots. Getting the spring bolts off was cake, just use a breaker bar and make sure you have a couple of long ratchet extensions. Walmart sells them if you dont already have them. You probably need a 12" extension plus another little 4 incher on top of that to reach the spring bolts without hurting your hands. The rest of the bolts come off even easier.

As for power results, I dont have any other exhaust pieces, so im assuming that contributes to the lack of perceived power increase. Its hard to justify assuming that even if I had an exhaust there would be a greater increase though. We're talking about a 107hp economy engine. This header may have added 2-3hp.

I would reccomend it to anybody though who wants to add a great looking part, with perfect fitment and especially for people who want to get their hands dirty and customize their car to give it that personal touch. It would also more directly benefit people using small NOS shots and people with superchargers.

Hope you enjoyed!
Old 04-13-2009, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so, the header wasn't tapped with threads when you got it?
Old 04-13-2009, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I found my header to give a very nice bump, especially on the highway. I have it paired with an intake, and used to have an exhaust on there, but the exhaust became very loud and droned when coupled with the header.

Ironically, swapping back to the stock exhaust was a nice move, because the whole I/H/E combo had some torque loss.

An intake (or a drop-in with the snorkel removed) will open up the header's potential a bit more.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by IH8ONYU
so, the header wasn't tapped with threads when you got it?
No, it was not.

Not really a big deal though, literally, $1.76 worth of bolts/nuts/washers.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

much better then spending double for a pre tapped header
Old 04-15-2009, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not only that... The fit and finish was truly excellent.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i bought from that company before i mean they have very good prices and beleve or not there products are pretty good also...i bought header for and old civic ,honda accord....everything was included didnt have to buy anything extra the fitmen was prefect..i think it gave me more noise then power but it was good at the mid range rpm