Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Engine Swap for xB (and prolly xA if it would work)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Engine Swap for xB (and prolly xA if it would work)

Alright, first off, I know someone is gonna jump on me for making my box something it is not and never will be. I entitle your opinion, because everyone I hang out with feels the same way, but that doesn't mean I care to hear about it. I hear it enough.

With that off my chest first off, here is my proposition (and maybe someone has thought the same/already done this, etc.) I was wondering if a Matrix XRS motor could be dropped under the hood of an xB. After parking next to one, I can tell their engine bay is either just as big or smaller than ours. Where i live, the motor would be extrememly easy to come by for a very cheap ammount. My only problem is if it would line up with the transmission. Does anyone know at all (and I'm sure a lot don't, you prolly don't see this everyday) if something like this is possible?
Old 05-02-2005, 09:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

do a search for 2ZZ or Celica or GTS
Old 05-02-2005, 10:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The consensus seems to be there would be so much cutting and fabrication involved , not to mention all the other parts needed to make it work, that it's not worth doing... If it wasn't as difficult I'm sure lots of people on this site would be running them right now (I'm know many here would like 180hp...)
Old 05-02-2005, 11:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OhioScions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Boxer Rebellion
The consensus seems to be there would be so much cutting and fabrication involved , not to mention all the other parts needed to make it work, that it's not worth doing... If it wasn't as difficult I'm sure lots of people on this site would be running them right now (I'm know many here would like 180hp...)

Try fitting a H22 motor in a 96-00 civic engine bay.

It has to be turned sideways to fit, but it has been done.

Just depends on what you want to do. I couldn't see why it couldn't be done.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by underESTIMATED
Originally Posted by Boxer Rebellion

Try fitting a H22 motor in a 96-00 civic engine bay.

It has to be turned sideways to fit, but it has been done.

Just depends on what you want to do. I couldn't see why it couldn't be done.
In any Civic from 92-00, the H22 swap is almost as easy as a B Series swap. Less than 8 hours, and no cutting of any subframe. The motor looks stock too... HCP motor mounts = yay. Hasport + cutting = yay.

The motor does not get turned sideways either... it stays in a similar to stock configuration, theres even room for power steering and A/C.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I really doubt swapping engines for our cars are a drop in affair like most compact Hondas. If anything, it will take a lot of custom frame and mount work to even fit the engine.

I really doubt our trannies will even hold up to the output of the 2ZZ. The clutch will definitely go out after a few hundred miles.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

This has been talked about extensively. . . someone lock this thread please. Feel free to continue on the existing 5 kazillion threads.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yup
Old 05-02-2005, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

it's possible but without any current braket setups no one wants to tread into the territory by themselves. even shops dont want to but if you got about 5k or 7k they'll do it, i'd much rather have a trd s/c 1zz tho.. alot more tq.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
it's possible but without any current braket setups no one wants to tread into the territory by themselves. even shops dont want to but if you got about 5k or 7k they'll do it, i'd much rather have a trd s/c 1zz tho.. alot more tq.
I don't think any shop wants to because they don't have a customer willing to drop that kind of $$$ into the project (either that or is it really that beneficial as a marketing tool for the shop to invest into one). anything is possible with 1). how much time you're willing to put into it 2). how much effort and experience is going into it 3). how much money you're willing to spend. with the right amount of funds anything is possible. how much its worth is up to the person spending it. for most, spending almost twice the amount of the car itself is very unlikely.

it probably at first wouldn't be too easy but i'd bet someone said the same thing about swapping honda motors into a different chassis. hell, they even fit a B18C5 into a 1st gen. Mini so you can't say anything isn't possible.

the hell with it... just throw in a bike engine. haha http://www.zcars.org.uk
Old 05-03-2005, 10:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

twice the amount of the car? what shops are you going to? lol. a few shops i've talked to said the 7k range including parts.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

man 400hp+ turbo hayabusa motors , insane , why would they even need a turbo for a hayabusa? thats nuts , would probably go like 330mph in a bike. nuts
Old 05-03-2005, 11:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i bet these same discussions were discussed back when honda peeps wanted to make their cars faster..... i bet a lot of peeps said it was impossible ...

just wait a few years ...it will come... sooner or later ..there will be swaps..!!!
Old 05-03-2005, 11:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

yep sounds about right.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by M-Flo
I really doubt swapping engines for our cars are a drop in affair like most compact Hondas. If anything, it will take a lot of custom frame and mount work to even fit the engine.

I really doubt our trannies will even hold up to the output of the 2ZZ. The clutch will definitely go out after a few hundred miles.
one thing i had to mention...why would u even say that our trannies wouldnt hold up to the 2zz, u would use the tranny the 2zz comes with. it is not even possible to match up the 2zz with our tranny.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^ The original poster asked if the engine would line up with the stock transmission which likely will not, but I was theoretically speaking that if it even does, it would keel over to the increase in output.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:55 AM
5 Year Member

330 Mph on a bike that isn't completely enclosed, similiar to a bullet, is impossible. Just thought I'd point that out....
Old 05-04-2005, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by 65DaytonaCoupe
330 Mph on a bike that isn't completely enclosed, similiar to a bullet, is impossible. Just thought I'd point that out....
i was just guessing and pointing out how insane that is. sorry to have been wrong.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
twice the amount of the car? what shops are you going to? lol. a few shops i've talked to said the 7k range including parts.
LOL! what shop would you take it to?? that's what they'll probably quote you then but i've known quite a bit of shops who under quote customers only to find there's a LOT more work involved then they thought when they actually get started (not to mention how many reputable shops out there that will do quality work know what to charge and usually it ain't cheap).

maybe not twice but quite a great deal more then $7k (i surely hope you don't mean $7k including parts & labor because if that's the case you should jump on it and get it in writing cause it's a damn good deal!). working in the industry it'd be much easier to shoot a little higher on the price quote then reimbursing if necessary rather then under shoot it asking the customer for more money. this also proves the customer's commitment level to the actual project.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the t2b has a 2.4l in it. Its only 4 inches wider and 9 inches longer than xb, I know that seems like alot, but im sure its not all in the engine bay. whatever car they make out of that thing is sure to hold some possibility for an engine swap. These cars are still in thier 1st generation, motor swaps that are as convenient as the civic will be available eventually.
maybe.

Quick Reply: Engine Swap for xB (and prolly xA if it would work)