Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Exhaust for Intake/Header combo

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Exhaust for Intake/Header combo

Good evening folks,

I'm going to be probably person number 574,024 to ask everyone what their recommendations are. However, you folks seem to know your stuff and I feel comfortable tapping into your infinite wisdom on this subject! (This'll be a long one, don't strangle me, please)

Here's my situation...

I have a TRD exhaust for my XB. What really ____es me off about it is the fact that it sits offset to the center of the bumper cutout, really freakin' close to the edge of the bumper. I've taken it places, including the dealership (whom I'm not very happy with at this time for several reasons,) and I've messed around with the hangers. This thing just sits offset. I've decided to just bite the bullet and get a better exhaust.

The car has an AEM intake. I just recently bought a DC Sports header, and am considering getting the DC exhaust. My thinking here is it couldn't hurt to keep the I/H/E system all under the same company. I also have heard good things about the DC stuff. Not bad, right?

Anyways, the DC exhaust is pretty expensive. Are there any other exhausts that are a better value than DC's? One that has compareable sound and performance? I hear good things about percisionmuffler.com, how are they in comparison?

If any DC sports folks would like to chime in with feedback about your exhausts that'd be huge, too (comments on sound, performance, etc) I'd like to stay all DC and if you're happy with it, I may just stick with that.

If I bring these somewhere for installation will they know to reset the ECU after installing?

Thanks for your help! Be gentle...

*EDIT* I answered my own question about the CEL. Way to go, me.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

aem or injen shortram
megan racing header
custom cat back , or squirrel express or maybe precision muffler
Old 02-09-2005, 10:25 PM

^^^ The exact setup I'm working on right now :D

"Throwing a CEL" = Check Engine Light coming on after the install. It won't happen as long as you don't mess with the two O2 sensors around the catalytic converter.

You can reset the ECU or you can just let the engine idle for 10 minutes after the install. Both are fine since they don't cause any known problems.

Old 02-09-2005, 11:02 PM

Default DC Header

I've got the DC sport header, AEM Intake & Borla axel back. My xB's a RCH faster and a whole lot louder. You still gotta pedal. (At least it sounds fast) Just remember 34 mpg.
I think the supercharger is the only REAL power option.........but $2800 + $500 to install blows. I think I'll just keep pedalling

Old 02-10-2005, 05:36 AM

The TRD system can be fixed,I can help you with it.
But if you really want something else. I can help you with that too. Shipping to you is not a problem, the ground clearance on the PrecisionMuffler.com axle back is great for cars that are lowered. The sound is low and the HP gains are noticable. Let me know when your ready purchase.

Old 02-10-2005, 03:49 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Default Re: DC Header

Originally Posted by Mark
I've got the DC sport header, AEM Intake & Borla axel back. My xB's a RCH faster and a whole lot louder. You still gotta pedal. (At least it sounds fast) Just remember 34 mpg.
I think the supercharger is the only REAL power option.........but $2800 + $500 to install blows. I think I'll just keep pedalling
The Blitz supercharger wil only show an increase in torque. The gain in horsepower is eaten up by the pully and belt and thus cancel each other out. Its a good mod but not worth the money. I'd want something that would give gains in torque and horsepower, not just torque.

But then again, I don't know squat and some "expert" will post a more definitive answer, that prolly never even rode in a supercharged xB, let alone got to see the dyno sheet.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Stylis
HP gains are noticable
How is the performance as apposed to the TRD exhaust? TRD advertises the HP gain (in theory) as being 2hp. What about the percision axle-back?
Old 02-11-2005, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Theyre going to be close to identical with the precission being slightly more given it's less cumbersome flow.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Sounds like percision is the way to go, better sounds and better airflow. I dunno if the DC Sports exhaust has better performance, but I'm starting to think that the price isn't worth it anyways.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Close to identical power . All name brand including precission are just overpriced. but everyone has their likes and dislikes.