Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

The flipping P0335 (Crankshaft Position Sensor) CEL is back!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 02:14 PM
ASC
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default The flipping P0335 (Crankshaft Position Sensor) CEL is back!

Has anyone had any issues with their CKP sensor. It's the little "hall effect" sensor located just rear of the crank pulley. I don't have an aftermarket pulley (i.e. Perrin, Agency, etc), and I've not been in that area of the engine for any reason (no need to).

My dealer replaced the CKP sensor a few months back, but this morning, my little xA seemed to hesitate a bit when starting and sure enough the CEL popped on within a couple of seconds.

If anyone's been having this or a similar problem, I'd like to hear about it. One member on EchoFans suggested that my crankshaft position wheel may have a crack in it. Structurally, it may not be critical. However it is a 32 tooth wheel with one tooth purposefully missing for timing purposes and having a small crack in it may confuse the sensor as to where the actual missing tooth may be.

Yes, I will be taking it into the dealer as soon as I get the chance.

Thanks,

Al
Old 03-28-2021, 10:32 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by ASC
Has anyone had any issues with their CKP sensor. It's the little "hall effect" sensor located just rear of the crank pulley. I don't have an aftermarket pulley (i.e. Perrin, Agency, etc), and I've not been in that area of the engine for any reason (no need to).

My dealer replaced the CKP sensor a few months back, but this morning, my little xA seemed to hesitate a bit when starting and sure enough the CEL popped on within a couple of seconds.

If anyone's been having this or a similar problem, I'd like to hear about it. One member on EchoFans suggested that my crankshaft position wheel may have a crack in it. Structurally, it may not be critical. However it is a 32 tooth wheel with one tooth purposefully missing for timing purposes and having a small crack in it may confuse the sensor as to where the actual missing tooth may be.

Yes, I will be taking it into the dealer as soon as I get the chance.

Thanks,

Al
Hello, did you ever find a solution to this? the P0335 code on my 2006 scion xa has been coming off and on since I got my serpentine belt replaced at Pep Boys. Since then I've changed, the following and i still get the check engine light w the same code coming off an on.
  • camshaft sensor replaced on 11/2019;
  • Crankshaft Sensor A replaced on 6/2020 ;
  • Power steering pressure sensor installed on 3/2020
  • timing cover seal/crankshaft seal changed on 10/2020.