Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Has anybody used a Volocity Stack

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Has anybody used a Volocity Stack

I have seen one picture from one using a volocity stack, was wondering if it was functional or just loks and if it made any difference. will add more later but there is a reason behind this would like info from people using or thinking about doing?
Old 05-08-2006, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

Is this that air filter with a 1psi turbo built in?
Old 05-08-2006, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

no a volocity stack is a funnel that goes at the end of the intake system and is mounted in the direct airstream of the front of your vehicle so as you drive you are forcing air into you intake (ram air)!
Old 05-08-2006, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Green Air Filter make a Cone Air Filter with a Stack built in it, I have one on my xB.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by Charliehondamandrivinabox
no a volocity stack is a funnel that goes at the end of the intake system and is mounted in the direct airstream of the front of your vehicle so as you drive you are forcing air into you intake (ram air)!
Ram air is a lie, and velocity stacks go on carburetors.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not trying to make you look bad or anything but volocity stacks are not for carborators, they are used to direct air into a designated area. Number two when I say (ram air) I don't mean short ram intakes or anything like that. I mean ducting to a front direct path of airflow as you move forward. meaning the opening of the pipe will be facing the car in front of you. Now do you understand? any info?
Old 05-09-2006, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think i know what your talking about their aluminum cylinders with folded peices at one end that creates a turbine effect right ? ive heard that they add a little more force but ive also heard their just snake oil
Old 05-09-2006, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well I use them on forced induction applications and some high compression n/a builds but I was wondering if anyone has a functional one, I seen an oragne xb with what looked to be one but was it functional or not is a different story. And they do actually make a good amount of power when set up properly
Old 05-09-2006, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think you can buy them for like 15-25.00 if you got the money to spare i dont think they will do anything bad, worst case probibly just wont do anything at all so good luck ,

heres one mod to avoid thoug knock off oil catch cans on a non super/turbo charged engine , starves your engine of air.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

if you were to run the funnel where would you put it?
Old 05-09-2006, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member

Waste of money. Its not like a 1.5 litter is going to suck down massive cfm's. Not to mention you would lose air velocity from such a short stack.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Stacks are not just for carbs, here is a pic on an EFI system with 8 stacks.

The intake Manifold on this Mustang also has 8 stacks inside the plenuim.

Old 05-10-2006, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

first, thanx Rocket for the picture, the one I had wasn't very good of the stacks.

second, tyrantcold, you were probably thinking of the "Turbo-nator" not a velocity stack.

and our little engine could probably ( haven't done the math yet) stand to get a few more cfm's. companies usually don't feed little econo motors with the 110% of the air flow they can use. I've set up Neons with larger TB's for more flow and got real good hp increases with going from the stock 49mm TB to a 54mm TB so going bigger helps feed a few more cfm's to get more hp.when I find the program I'll puch the numbers to see what the little 1.5 can really use.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

More Air + More Fuel = More Power

Simple Math....(Even I can do)
Old 05-10-2006, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

do you mean something that sits out side the car like this: (sorry the picture is so big i borrowed it from another user in another thread)

Old 05-10-2006, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member

But more power where? All the way at redline. worthless. Its not as simple as more air more fuel. Scavenging plays a big part in NA engines specially little ones because thats how they get any kind of tourqe. Short intakes devolope velocity slower and need the engine rpm to do all the work.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes that is the car I was talking about and yes that is what I am talking about. See that is what ram air is not any of this short ram intake stuff. I was wondering how his setup is desighned, because there are many ways of creating the right flow to the amount of volume, plus the velocity to make power based on cam profile and compression along with a lot of other things but in most cases it does improve the vehicles overall powerband very well. if this member see's this post pm me or add to this topic
Old 05-11-2006, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

he's not the only one with this setup i've seen it on a couple other xbs....do a search on ram air and there should be some stuff that relates to this topic already on the boards
Old 05-12-2006, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

if anyone has read my new thread it goes along with this, the next step will be adding the velocity stack and having it molded into the bumper but it will also eliminate about 4 inches of piping after the one bend so it might make a drastic change in performance up or down because of the volume per cubic inch fomula requirments. really long formula but I have it on computer so I just have to know the engine and also the specs of the part plus the flow of the part plus a lot more of this and that. Will post later have to go to bed got to be at work in a couple of hours and havn't slept a wink. God I hate mondays atleast for me it is.

Would like some imput because I am trying to make more power and share with fellow owners, also anyone that needs info on F/I application or anything at all feel free to pm me start a thread and I will give you some of my knowledge because I have been building turbo engines and full turbo kits custom for about 7 years and have done a lot of radical stuff.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Citroen1
But more power where? All the way at redline. worthless. Its not as simple as more air more fuel. Scavenging plays a big part in NA engines specially little ones because thats how they get any kind of tourqe. Short intakes devolope velocity slower and need the engine rpm to do all the work.
To add on that, if you wanted to make more power due to the short ram anyway I would suggest looking into new injectors and Plugs so you can keep a good balance of Air/Fuel.

Thats my .02 cents....

Quick Reply: Has anybody used a Volocity Stack