Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Header install ????'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Header install ????'s

How hard is it to swap the headers on the box? I have done it before on other cars but it is such a cramped compartment I didnt want to do it until I found out how easy it is to do....

So if you swapped out your headers, on a scale of 1-10 how hard is it. Anything I should look out for?
Old 05-30-2007, 09:54 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

install is about a 5 to make it easier on you remove your cowl that way you'll have a lots more room to work the bolts and nuts on the cylinder head the p.i.t.a ones are the two bolts that connect to the down pipe that takes allot of effort to get off... wd-40 or pb-blaster and soak 'em good!
Old 05-30-2007, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does it get louder when you put on a header, ive already got a customa exhaust thats kinda lound and i dont think i can get any louder without some unwanted attention.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have stock exhaust, and I didnt notice it getting any louder. If anything it MIGHT have gotten a hair deeper, but thats it. Not louder.

The hardest thing for me was taking of the stinking heat shield! Blasted thing!

I soaked everything down with w-d 40 and everything came right off. I didnt take off the cowel... its just another thing you have to assemble after you're done. Once you get the header on you aren't going to feel like putting the cowel back on.

If you go to the tech section, it will make everything easy.

It took me about 2-3 hrs to change it out & I have never changed a header in my life. Its best if you have an air impact for the 2 bolts connecting the header to the exhaust. Those will kick your butt if you do it by hand.
Mine came off fairly easy because I have the air tools for it. And I used a very long extension.

I'd give it a 5 as well. If you are not mechanically inclined at all, then pay a shop 1hr for changin it. It'll save you some bumps and bruises. If you are a grease monkey, do it yourself. I'm kind of somewhat mechanically inclined and very determined to figure stuff out, so I like doing mods myself.

Peace!
Old 05-30-2007, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh and if you do put on a header, it will smoke under the hood for a little bit while it burns off any grease and stuff on the outside of the header. Just a heads up.
If it smokes for longer than an hour or two, then you got a problem
Old 05-31-2007, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

it takes like 20 minutes for an experienced guy and about an hour or so for an inexperienced one.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"or so" in my case
Old 05-31-2007, 02:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

The header is an easy job, if you have patience. Take your time and you will have no problems. Use the tech section write up that is a big help. It took me about an hour and a half including beer breaks. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH WD-40!!!! When doing this job get PB's amazing rust blaster. It works wonders. Spray down the srpring loaded bolts with that stuff and all you will need is a breaker bar to get them off.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:02 PM

Yes I highly recomend using PB blaster for the bolts and get ready your muscles for the two main 14mm bolts on the bottom of the header that connect the down pipe. Those are known for being torqued hard.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Stylis
Yes I highly recomend using PB blaster for the bolts and get ready your muscles for the two main 14mm bolts on the bottom of the header that connect the down pipe. Those are known for being torqued hard.
The two bolts on the bottom that connects the down pipe took me 20 min. just to get those loose, everything else was simple.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i soaked the bolts on mine with pb overnite in anticipation. i guess it helped alot cause it wasnt tooo hard.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by kewlbox
Originally Posted by Stylis
The two bolts on the bottom that connects the down pipe took me 20 min. just to get those loose, everything else was simple.
Yeah those 14mm are under pressure from the springs and heat.