Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

I have made a custom intake for our boxes

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 07:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default I have made a custom intake for our boxes

Well I have been doing some math and some flow bench work and I made an intake for our boxes that I think outperforms the scion fx one that I have been running. And for all of you that talked about the piping size and the problems with the MAF sensor need to do some more reasearch. the intake is a cold air setup 3 in piping from throttle body for 1 and 1/8th feet approx. with a 90' bend and then reduces to 2in pipe for MAF for 6 in then 3 in piping for another 6 in then filter. I am waiting to go to the dyno shop to see how much gain there really is but there is a gain. I have had it on now for three days and have noticed a completly different low end power band. the vehicle deffinetly has more power from 1800rpm to 4000rpms it is not just my butt dyno but about 6 other buddies of mine that build engines with me.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Build the same intake using all 2" piping. I want to know what difference you would see on a dyno between the 3"/2"/3" set up and the 2".

Have any pix yet?
Old 05-12-2006, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I already made the same intake out of 2 1/4 in piping and it went down in power from the one that I had. Scion fx intake. The flow through of the same size piping does not allow for both volume and volocity. Our engines need more volume of air to make power. the volocity is there for the air to flow into the engine just fine with the factory air cleaner assembly if you just remove the double sock setup. the downfall to most small vehicles with small displacement engines is there is no where to recieve a volume of air from when the car goes from partial to full throttle. My car actually had the same amount of power @ 60%, 75% and WOT at the same same RPM. I have a lot of data that I have been using from the engine specs to real world compression testing results to make the length and the size.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good job man!!!! I envy your part skills dude. Would you make me one, I am in cali as well. Keep up the creativity
Old 05-12-2006, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

right now the one I have on my box is a prototype but will be getting remade once I have the funds to continue also the time because I work two jobs. But I should have pictures up next week some time. Yes once I have made the final I will make them for anyone who would like one. Still need to make the brackets and make a better piece for the MAF. it still looks good though.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool man... so does it make a difference with your I/H/E. I have an intake,header and exhaust as well. Also how do you like the perrin pulley. Is it worth the money. Was there a big diff b4 and after? Also is it hard to install?
Old 05-12-2006, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like the perrin pulley very much it is a good designe and it made the engine rev a little better. This new intake made a good improvment from my last two designes and the scion fx intake. The exhast note or tone is a little different the car is more responsive and it deffinetly has more power! The lower rpms I noticed most of the improvment espesially when going up a hill the engine does not bog down. also in the high rpms, you know how the engine gets really load at around 5200rpms up until readline and seems like it was starting to get a power drop off, well I am not expirencing that anymore. I am able to hit the rev limiter very easily now in any gear including 5th which seemed to be about 134mph! anyways I will try to finish making the brakets for the intake this weekend after I get off work and then I will take some pictures for everyone. Then I need to get on the dyno again. later
Old 05-13-2006, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

too bad homemade intakes will get your car reffed , possibly towed depending upon teh officer.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was driving my fwd pro modified honda on the streets for a while do you think I am worried, street raced for 7 years, oh and the car shoots flames everytime you shift and alot while over 12% throttle because it runs on nitro methane and C16 fuel nothing else at over 25psi and read I live in one of the hardest places and I was at the raid at wal-mart in lancaster california where it all went down according to channel 7 news and the rest of them. I can show you the video my buddy made! just got to get the link!
Old 05-13-2006, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

anyways....

how about some pics?
Old 05-13-2006, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

in a couple once the brakets are done
Old 05-13-2006, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by Charliehondamandrivinabox
I was driving my fwd pro modified honda on the streets for a while do you think I am worried, street raced for 7 years, oh and the car shoots flames everytime you shift and alot while over 12% throttle because it runs on nitro methane and C16 fuel nothing else at over 25psi and read I live in one of the hardest places and I was at the raid at wal-mart in lancaster california where it all went down according to channel 7 news and the rest of them. I can show you the video my buddy made! just got to get the link!
a 20 year old that has street raced for 7 years?

yeah.

dude running around with completely illegal cars isn't a matter of not being afraid it's a matter of stupidity. and if you drove that pro fwd civic on the streeets i'm about 90% sure it wasnt insured(at least not for street use) so not only were you driving a completely illegal car with safety issues you were also driving it without any insurance.

if you have access to a dyno go dyno the different intake designs and see exactly how much hp and tq each design gave. i'm sure people will be interested.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

First off you should not be questioning me street racing or any of that, because first off my mom, my uncles and I have all street raced since we were little kids. I started driving when I was 12 and got my NHRA licence at 14 which is the youngest at the time you could get it. Third if you have seen pictures of me back then to now I look olded back then than I do now and I have not been carded in 4 years for anything. Third the car was insured and at the time I was not running in that class i just stepped up to that class from the sportsman class which means thae car has to be street leagla for sportsman, but still can run 10 sec 1/4 miles. I take it you are not familular with the Antelope Valley. When I was that age there there was nothing but desert, and we had a total of 6 sherriffs. Don't be talking ____ because it is not going to get you know where. You would not beleive how many people out here are driving around with completly illegal cars, one of my neibors down the street are professional drifters, Mickey from team JUST DRIFT out of GARAGE WORKS. Another budy around the corner owns one of the first civics to run a 10 sec 1/4 mile back in 1999 10.91 @ 134mph. My civics best run was a 10.02 @ 139 on my last motor on slicks. This motor which is cranking out at this point over 200hp more has run on streets slicks 11.56 @ 146mph. oh by the way I was doing a burn out @ the end of the track in 5th gear. if you have ever seen that in a FWD car then talk ____. Just doesn't happen.

so don't talk ____, and by the way I do all my own work except for some machine work that my uncle does for my because I don't do CNC machining.

I have to much under my belt plus some of the members of the first club didn't even know I was under 16. Iceman, 50 1 50, urban speed, Bad boys, and the list goes on of clubs I've run and ran with.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i know i would be willing to pay some good money if i like how it looks and the dyno is right. PLEASE post pics
Old 05-14-2006, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Seriously, we could care less about you two _____ing. This thread is about a custom intake which is better than others offered.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:22 PM
Banned
SL Member

..alledgedly anyway lmfao
Old 05-14-2006, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Yeah, alledgedly. We need dyno and pics. Who cares if it's a mockup, we'd just like to see the design.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by Charliehondamandrivinabox
First off you should not be questioning me street racing or any of that, because first off my mom, my uncles and I have all street raced since we were little kids. I started driving when I was 12 and got my NHRA licence at 14 which is the youngest at the time you could get it. Third if you have seen pictures of me back then to now I look olded back then than I do now and I have not been carded in 4 years for anything. Third the car was insured and at the time I was not running in that class i just stepped up to that class from the sportsman class which means thae car has to be street leagla for sportsman, but still can run 10 sec 1/4 miles. I take it you are not familular with the Antelope Valley. When I was that age there there was nothing but desert, and we had a total of 6 sherriffs. Don't be talking poop because it is not going to get you know where. You would not beleive how many people out here are driving around with completly illegal cars, one of my neibors down the street are professional drifters, Mickey from team JUST DRIFT out of GARAGE WORKS. Another budy around the corner owns one of the first civics to run a 10 sec 1/4 mile back in 1999 10.91 @ 134mph. My civics best run was a 10.02 @ 139 on my last motor on slicks. This motor which is cranking out at this point over 200hp more has run on streets slicks 11.56 @ 146mph. oh by the way I was doing a burn out @ the end of the track in 5th gear. if you have ever seen that in a FWD car then talk poop. Just doesn't happen.

so don't talk poop, and by the way I do all my own work except for some machine work that my uncle does for my because I don't do CNC machining.

I have to much under my belt plus some of the members of the first club didn't even know I was under 16. Iceman, 50 1 50, urban speed, Bad boys, and the list goes on of clubs I've run and ran with.
even if any or all of this is true you have not redeemed yourself.

and my buddy has a 1957 oval window ragtop bug that is street legal and has run a 9.56 i believe. so what now?

no one cares. you don't have any respect for the law at all and you swear you are perfect.

mom , uncles u street racing , nice a family of irresponsible people.

just dyno the intake and give us some pictures.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

here are some pics

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...101AYsXDRy0ZMY

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...101AYsXDRy0ZMY

Oh and hot box look you can believe what you want that is on you, but for everyone else hit me up with some feed back. As of right now I am not going to be able to hit the dyno for atleast a couple more days, but it will get done just working for 11 days streight. later! oh i am going to try and make a better bracket for the top of the intake under the hood.[img][/img]
Old 05-18-2006, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Those pics are tiny. If you need a host, email them to me, and I'll host them for you.

Quick Reply: I have made a custom intake for our boxes