Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Info needed on intakes..any experience with Blitz?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Info needed on intakes..any experience with Blitz?

I am interested in the Injen group buy....but I am hesitant to buy an oiled filter again. I am assuming the injen intake is an oiled element like the K&N.

I have been intrigued by the Blitz style stainless filters. But I have no experience with them.

I am not really interested in a cold air style intake, but more if a short ram. I think I may be more interested if Scion life hosts a group buy for the Blitz intake.

Anyone have any opinions?
Old 10-14-2003, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You bring up a very valid concern. I, too, am reluctant to use oiled air filters with any engine that uses any sort of MAF air metering device. It is inevitable that the element inside the MAF will get coated in oil. Depending on how much you oil the filter, that coating can take a long, or short period of time to build up, but it will happen. In most cases, it's never really a problem, but I personally would rather avoid that. That's why with MAF cars I prefer using foam elements like the HKS Powerflow, etc. They work great, and contain no oils. The only caveat: you HAVE to change the foam filter element out every so often, and that's something a lot of people tend to forget to do sometimes. But as long as you are on the up-and-up on maintaining your vehicle, that's not going to be a problem.

Stainless mesh screen filters like the Blitz one do allow for a pretty great amount of air flow, but because you can only get so fine of a screen using steel wire, they also do the worst job of filtering out smaller particles. This isn't a big deal if you're want the most flow possible, but for a street car, it might make the filter a bad choice...
Old 10-14-2003, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Blitz states that the steel mesh is a 200 micron filter....that SOUNDS good...but I really dont even know if that is good or not. I dont know to what micron size other filters work..
Old 10-14-2003, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
N.G.S.O.

why cant u just buy a foam filter for the intake tube that u have? most of the business that i have seen ask u if u want to buy a filter they dont make u buy it
Old 10-14-2003, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

just some info: jon from SPFR dyno tested an xB with a short ram intake and he found that it did not increase power at all. with a cold air intake he was making around a 5whp improvement over stock. he tried several different styles of intakes to get the best design before he went into full production. obviously short ram was an option because it's easier to install and cheaper too. but the results were poor so i would not recommend fitting one if you can help it.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Ya...cold air is nice and all...but when it rains, I dont want to mess with it....I live in vegas....it floods in vegas....even though it doesnt rain often, when it does, it floods.

I cant deal with a cold air intake sucking floodwater into my engine.

And if the only difference between the a CAI and a short ram is the temperature of the air it recieves, I plan on opening up the front grill, and isolating the filter from the hot engine....SO it will get plenty of cold air.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive got a TOM's on my aw11. i think im sticking with it. i know im mostly buying it just because it says "toms" but oh well.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by arinvolvo
Ya...cold air is nice and all...but when it rains, I dont want to mess with it....I live in vegas....it floods in vegas....even though it doesnt rain often, when it does, it floods.

I cant deal with a cold air intake sucking floodwater into my engine.

And if the only difference between the a CAI and a short ram is the temperature of the air it recieves, I plan on opening up the front grill, and isolating the filter from the hot engine....SO it will get plenty of cold air.
I know first hand what you mean about them flash floods in Vegas. I was at a friend's house in Vegas in early August. We watched Flamingo blvd turn into a river in a matter of about 20 minutes. Getting caught in that with a lowered xB with CAI would suck, literally!
Old 10-22-2003, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone step up and try the weapon R intake? Say what you will about their products, i was a disbeliever too until i saw actual dynos and real world tests.

The quality control maybe a little lacking, but the if it works, it works. Price is not bad either

I guess i maybe the guinee pig for this one.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

If you get the Weapon R, let us all know how it works. I assume it is just a generic intake...and I have heard the Scion is picky about its MAF placement.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default cold air intake

i guess none of you guys have actually seen the AEM cold air intake.....it has an air bypass valve in case you were to submerge the primary filter in water...(or flood or whatever)....i have it installed on mine, and the intake is at least 3 feet off the ground, i don't know about you, but i have never seen any streets with water 3 feet deep in my life!....this aint no hummer people....if you were to even drive in that deep of water, the cabin would be filled with water too!!.....AEM intake is the only one that i have seen with the bypass feature so far...plus the hp gain is definately worth it...we need all we can get!....it makes no sense to put the short ram on....it just sucks air from the same spot as the stocker...just look cooler!
Old 10-23-2003, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

actually the stock exhaust has a pipe that goes from the intake box to the fender for cold air, so any intake filter inside the engine bay will bring in hotter air than stock.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default hot air

yea thats what i've been sayin...all the short ram's that ive seen all don't even point towards the front of the car..?????......hot air = NO POWER
Old 10-23-2003, 08:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Docofmind
Anyone step up and try the weapon R intake? Say what you will about their products, i was a disbeliever too until i saw actual dynos and real world tests.

The quality control maybe a little lacking, but the if it works, it works. Price is not bad either

I guess i maybe the guinee pig for this one.
There is also the instance of one of their intakes being dynoed, and then getting sucked into the motor. That wasn't too cool...literally.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Van--are there any non oiled CAIs out there for the xB yet?

I really want to try to Injen unit--but wondering if it would be possible/sane to use another filter element, like say the Apex'i Power Flow?
Old 10-31-2003, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JDMxB
Van--are there any non oiled CAIs out there for the xB yet?
It really amazes me that the AEM intake that Toyota sells has an oiled filter. I wonder how they will handle the inevitable contaminated MAF sensors.

You can hang any kind of filter on the end of a cold air intake, and the space available behind the bumper is sufficient for a huge paper filter. Oiled gauze isn't magic, just well marketed.

George
Old 10-31-2003, 07:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll be the first to admit that I'm talking out of my exhaust system here, but 200 micron filtration on the Blitz filters sounds pretty awful to me. According to K&N's Web site the SAE air filter tests use dust that's mostly well under 100 microns, and good filters are supposed to block 98% of that.

I'm also concerned about oiled filters, especially with MAF sensors running about the same price as a new set of tires. Couldn't ya just give the sensor wires a shot of throttle body cleaner once in a while?
Old 10-31-2003, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i know that the blitz intake is the best short ram intake for performance(had one for my other car), BUT i got rid of it becasue it filters the worst of all filters. if i had a car for track use only, the blitz is the intake to get, but for day to day use, it dosen't filter worth crap.

see link:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/fil...t/2/index.html
Old 10-31-2003, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: cold air intake

Originally Posted by scionracerxb
i guess none of you guys have actually seen the AEM cold air intake.....it has an air bypass valve in case you were to submerge the primary filter in water...(or flood or whatever)....i have it installed on mine, and the intake is at least 3 feet off the ground, i don't know about you, but i have never seen any streets with water 3 feet deep in my life!....this aint no hummer people....if you were to even drive in that deep of water, the cabin would be filled with water too!!.....AEM intake is the only one that i have seen with the bypass feature so far...plus the hp gain is definately worth it...we need all we can get!....it makes no sense to put the short ram on....it just sucks air from the same spot as the stocker...just look cooler!
yes i agree!
Old 10-31-2003, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pure speculation but ... isn't the PCV system a more likely cause of MAF sensor contamination than an oiled air filter?

Quick Reply: Info needed on intakes..any experience with Blitz?