Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Intakes for Automatics

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 10:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Intakes for Automatics

Ok, I've searched around, but I can't find clear answers for my auto xB since the majority of folks are manual.

Since I never go above 5k rpms, will I feel a difference below 5k?

Since I can't figure out all the dynos that have been posted, I wonder which intake provides the most power throughout the lower rpms? (I was under the impression SPFR was best for this - regardless of peak hp)

All intakes released so far will fit automatics, right?

Finally, for the folks with the K&N Typhoons, what are your impressions?

I found this, but what does it mean?:

I just wanna make sure I know what I am getting into as this will be my first ever engine mod - my Xmas present to myself!

Help me out Scion Fam....thanks
Old 12-18-2003, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member

I have an auto and put on a SPFR intake and am very happy with it. I did a lot of research and regardless of the recent postings and controversies I noticed a good difference...It is still an intake so don't expect to be spinnng your wheels. These things have an Echo engine in them for goodness sake. Install was easy and the support was excellent. It looks stock too which I like.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:46 PM

According to that dyno it shows that the car before the install is at 92 Horsepower and after the install it is at 100 horsepower. mmm...sounds like we need to do another dyno of our own to determine that is the correct number. There was a whole topic on this with the SPFR and the Injen and the AEM. The intake shootout, according to the results on that topic, the Injen was the best. That topic was the reason I had to dyno my car with my exhaust system and intake. K&N 100.4 dam, I am 101HP and I have a manifold back exhaust system, with injen fakie intake.

Old 12-18-2003, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you will feel the differnce, but it won't be as much as a manual.
Old 12-18-2003, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

stylis, look at the times on the dyno sheet:

the cold air was run at 7am (when the air temp is probably pretty cool)

and the stock was run at noon (when it was probably pretty hot out)

and they were tested 4 days apart

aren't tests like that supposed to be run in close proximity to each other if you're running a comparison?
Old 12-18-2003, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As for the Typhoon, overboost.com (http://www.overboost.com/story.asp?id=1101) says they dynod it at stock 96.3, w/ typhoon 101.3. Wih that plus the intake shootout, I'm realizing the differences must be pretty small - all around +4 hp.

I'm just wondering how these dynos translate to automatics? any differences?

Also, do they sound different?
Old 12-18-2003, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

ya they all sound different - different bends, different materials and different filters/filter sizes all contribuite to different sounding intakes.
Old 12-18-2003, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

KNOWBODY HAS POSTED THE DYNO SHEET ON THE SHOOT OUT WHY IS THAT?????? I SAW THE DYNO SHEET AND IT NEEDS TO POSTED. AND AS FAR AS HP WITH SPFR INTAKE AND CAT BACK SYSTEM THE RESULTS ARE 103.6 TO THE GROUND.
Old 12-18-2003, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

by this weekend we'll have new dyno results for the spfr, and maybe injen too and you know those sheets will be posted for sure
Old 12-18-2003, 06:01 PM
vho
5 Year Member

I have a automatic xb with injen intake
at low rpm its not much of a difference but it gets that extra boost on the freeway,
and it sounds great too.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:12 PM

Besk one - mmm...I wonder why they would have different times to dyno their car? Why wouldn't they just dyno at the same time zone? Unless it is really hard to install their product, I don't know

SPFRBOX - is that for the automatic or the stick shift? Also how can a cat back with intake give that much power as apposed to a manifold back? :? Were you running stock wheels on the dyno or 18s ? If you were using stock wheels, maybe I should take a trip back to Modacar for another dyno run.

Old 12-18-2003, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i think jon has a manual xB, and i know the dyno was done when he was running his 18" Axis wheels.

that was with his exhuast and prototype intake, he's re-dyno'ing his box on saturday with a production model intake to see if there is any difference

and ya, what's up with the different days on the k & n dyno anyways? crazyness, dyno results are still so subjective it seems.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Besk one
and they were tested 4 days apart

aren't tests like that supposed to be run in close proximity to each other if you're running a comparison?
k&n probably tested the stock xB when it arrived for the prototpye before breaking it down to the manufacturing. after they were finished manufacturing they probably started other tests. most of the companies that dyno cars remove the front bumper to expose the filter, so that it can get more air. when people do real life dynos they leave the front bumper on and it will not get as much air.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:45 PM

Too bad we don't have some one from K&N to tell us whats going on.

Old 12-18-2003, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Based on my experience with the recent dyno, I'm happy with the result of my injen intake with a semi-custom cat-back exhaust system (w/5zigen rear axel exhaust).

What you don't see on most dyno sheet is the air fuel ratio. A good example was this past dyno meet we had here in NorCal. Although mine only peaked @ 99 whp the torque is @ 101 lbs. I'm happy I'm in the same level of torque with stylis even though my xB was running very rich at the higher RPM.

Since it's measured @ wheel horse power, is that mean that my xB is now near 120 hp vs. 108 hp?
Old 12-18-2003, 10:23 PM

me too!!

Old 12-19-2003, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionara
Based on my experience with the recent dyno, I'm happy with the result of my injen intake with a semi-custom cat-back exhaust system (w/5zigen rear axel exhaust).

What you don't see on most dyno sheet is the air fuel ratio. A good example was this past dyno meet we had here in NorCal. Although mine only peaked @ 99 whp the torque is @ 101 lbs. I'm happy I'm in the same level of torque with stylis even though my xB was running very rich at the higher RPM.

Since it's measured @ wheel horse power, is that mean that my xB is now near 120 hp vs. 108 hp?
fwd cars typically have a 12% power loss to the wheels.

108-12%= 95whp - it seems that is what most people are getting stock

To have 120 hp you would need to dyno at about 105.5 whp. you are almost there though.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:06 PM

so it goes 101 HP that I have times 12%? If so then I am at 113HP, right?

Old 12-19-2003, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Stylis
so it goes 101 HP that I have times 12%? If so then I am at 113HP, right?
you correct. that will give you a good estimate.
Old 01-04-2004, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Like I said, I keep needing more info on the CAI/Auto xB thing ...
I am actually considering the SPFR (performance-wise it seems one of the leaders and I like the stock look but, the filter itself is located almost near the drivers-side head light very much "down-front" by the grill) or the Blitz (which seems located more central of the engine block itself and looks way custom, definitely looks cool but, performance-wise I have not heard of too many people riding with it and, they seem to be the ony intake maker with a non-oiled filter option that is still re-useable(?) but I'm not too sure about this) or the Injen which seems like a all-around winner in performance/looks...
Anybody have 2 cents on the Blitz Short Ram?
I think I test drove an auto xB with the AEM intake at Longo Scion. It definitely seemed to respond 'faster' than my stock auto when floored (not the usual "giddy-up let's go" pause just before the horsies really kick in!) and at low RPM there was just a nice purr to the engine. Not sure if it had an upgraded exhaust...
I probably will go with an exhaust (TRD) before I add an intake...

Quick Reply: Intakes for Automatics