Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Just bought a Scion xA, need to make sure its in tip shape!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 03:36 PM

Default Just bought a Scion xA, need to make sure its in tip shape!

Hello everybody,
After nearly 2 months of searching, I finally bought myself a 2005 Scion xA five speed. Its the metallic blue color, but not an RS 2.0 series car. It has 65,000 miles on it, was Scion certified, and I got her for $7300 after tax, tags, title, and trading in a worthless dying Oldsmobile. The carfax shows the car sat for almost a year at a few related dealerships before they lowered the price enough to get people like me to want to buy it. According to the service records, the dealership had the brakes serviced (rotors turned, new pads, and the fluid looks nice and fresh), new wipers, new air filters, sway bar linkages, and new tires. It is in mint condition and seems to have the original clutch (which is in good shape as proven by the test drive).

Despite all the dealer work done on the car before being sold, I need to make sure that every type of fluid is changed in this car. A massive power steering leak is what killed my Oldsmobile, and I attribute the leak to neglect of the fluid. Where are the procedures for draining/refilling the trans oil and power steering fluid? The coolant drain/refill is straightforward so I'm not worried about that. Is there anything else I should check/replace to ensure many miles of driving with this car? I wanted to change the fuel filter, but apparently I have to remove the pump to do that so I am gonna leave it because the pump is only $110 on rockauto.

I like my new Scion, and I like the 34 mpg even better! I am hoping to get at least another 100,000 miles out of this car in addition to what is currently on it. I will be on here for quite some time as I maintenance the car and put on a few tasteful mods here and there. Any maintenance/upkeep advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$7300 for an XA is not bad at all, I think...how much did you get for your yunker?

when I bought my TC I couldnt negotiate much since I am hispanic and off the bat they added 5% interest ontop since they knew I couldnt get financing lmao...it was funny...they were like your credit is X and I was like oh really, your missing it by like 100 homie...and I pulled out my score provided 2 days earlier by the 3 main credit groups, then dude felt dumb, then this is my point:

I negotiated service...service is money , so they didnt want to lower the price of the car, since they just got screwed on the interest (since my credit was way better) I negotiated OIL changes, trans flushes, coolant flushes, tire rotations the works bro!

It was a pain, when I would get service they would look at me and say fluk this work has to be done for free, they would keep my car the whole day, even for an oil change...(thats another story) but you could had done that...

with fuild changes at the recomended intervals you be fine.

Good luck with it, lmk when you want to re-sell it

look on here on the classified sections, everyone be selling things that you can buy cheap and hook up the XA.

Keep it clean
Old 04-26-2011, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats on your Xa purchase! Thanks a great price!
Change the gear oil to ensos and you'll love it even more. It will shift much smoother.

you said you were looking for some simple mods and thought i'd let you know I have a Fujita Ram intake for sale.
Its under classifieds/ powertrain.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds like a good deal for a car bought at a dealership! i got my 04 xb with 70k miles for $7000 before taxes, and tags private party last month! i feel i got a good deal cause the blue book is $7900 in good condition private party! since cash for clunkers i haven't seen anything used worth buying at a dealership. enjoy the new car!