Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Less Weight = More Power. How to lose the lbs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member

There's always this route instead if you want a real monster http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IOpuGVoyCk&NR
Old 08-26-2006, 06:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lizard, you really need to do some research before you write your posts man, your facts are very wrong. The Xb is $14,500. With the amount of $ needed to mod to 160-180 hp is no more than $4,000 total. Thats $18,500. The celica isnt being considered cuz even the gts only puts 135 hp to the ground 160 to crank n wouldnt even come close, also its way heavier (..and btw the celica is way more expensive also stock). The others, mini ($20k plus), wrx ($25k plus), mustang gt ($30k plus), gti ($20k plus) and thats all STOCK. Do you understand? Its a matter of mathematics. Ok, add $4,000 to those prices, the exact amount added to the Xb like you said in your post, and you just end up with may more in price, you make no sense man, LOL. Im not putting you out on purpose dog, just make some sense if you are going into a debate, im pulling my hair out due to your misunderstanding of the point here. THE $18,500 160-180 HP XB WILL BEAT EVERY ONE OF THOSE CARS LISTED ABOVE IN THEIR STOCK FORM. AND IT IS $18,500 (COMPLETELY MODDED) COMPARED TO THERE STOCK PRICES. WAAAY CHEAPER STILL, AS WELL AS FASTER. Yes, you could put the same amount into those cars and they then would be faster than the Xb, but they would also be THAT MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE. Is this that hard to understand? Im sorry fellas, i know how these posts get out of control, i just couldnt get over this one, so you get my apology in advance.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think lizard might have been bent out of shape from the reference to the Z06 (and might be somewhat jaded from racing bikes etc...)

I only mentioned the Vette to show that I have indeed driven very fast cars. I'd rather have a fully sorted xB because it is a better compromise between performance and practicality (with price also a consideration of the practicality side.)

Another point I'd like to make. Flat out performance numbers are not really a factor on the street. The only place 199mph top speed matters is on the track, and possibly someone's needy ego. And while it's fun to get to 100mph in less than 9 seconds (as I did that day w/the Z06 I must admit) that kind of power gets people in trouble in the real world.

But here's the point. What makes the xB so great is the same thing that makes Triumphs and Miatas great- they have performance levels that can be actually explored and pushed in daily driving, which makes them entertaining to drive everyday. As much as I love supercars I think the daily commute would feel like being in a cage, always being reminded of it's unused potential. Unless I lived in Germany or in Montana somwhere, it would get kinda depressing after a while.

So anyway, my real-world dream car is a WRX sti wagon, but right now for half the price I'll keep working on the xB.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have adjusted the wheel weight to include rotational mass (3lbs per 1lb). This brings my total weight loss to around 250 lbs without losing much practically (besides backseats). Coupled with a perrin crank pulley, your engine would be lead to believe that your auto weighs 350 lbs less.
2340 - 350 = 1990lbs
Divided by 111hp (stock hp + cai + intake + header) = 17.9 lbs per hp. While maintaining reliablity, low cost, and practically!
I want to thank everyone for there AWESOME comments so far, i agree this is one of the best posts on how to maximize the performance of our little cars! They CAN be quick.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jones75254
Lizard, you really need to do some research before you write your posts man, your facts are very wrong. The Xb is $14,500. With the amount of $ needed to mod to 160-180 hp is no more than $4,000 total. Thats $18,500. The celica isnt being considered cuz even the gts only puts 135 hp to the ground 160 to crank n wouldnt even come close, also its way heavier (..and btw the celica is way more expensive also stock). The others, mini ($20k plus), wrx ($25k plus), mustang gt ($30k plus), gti ($20k plus) and thats all STOCK. Do you understand? Its a matter of mathematics. Ok, add $4,000 to those prices, the exact amount added to the Xb like you said in your post, and you just end up with may more in price, you make no sense man, LOL. Im not putting you out on purpose dog, just make some sense if you are going into a debate, im pulling my hair out due to your misunderstanding of the point here. THE $18,500 160-180 HP XB WILL BEAT EVERY ONE OF THOSE CARS LISTED ABOVE IN THEIR STOCK FORM. AND IT IS $18,500 (COMPLETELY MODDED) COMPARED TO THERE STOCK PRICES. WAAAY CHEAPER STILL, AS WELL AS FASTER. Yes, you could put the same amount into those cars and they then would be faster than the Xb, but they would also be THAT MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE. Is this that hard to understand? Im sorry fellas, i know how these posts get out of control, i just couldnt get over this one, so you get my apology in advance.
I agree with your point, EXCEPT to be on the level of the cars you mentioned you have to look at handling, structural stiffening, lightening etc, so i would add 3-4k to your figuring. Still would rather have an xB of course tho.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by designed24
I have adjusted the wheel weight to include rotational mass (3lbs per 1lb). This brings my total weight loss to around 250 lbs without losing much practically (besides backseats). Coupled with a perrin crank pulley, your engine would be lead to believe that your auto weighs 350 lbs less.
2340 - 350 = 1990lbs
Divided by 111hp (stock hp + cai + intake + header) = 17.9 lbs per hp. While maintaining reliablity, low cost, and practically!
I want to thank everyone for there AWESOME comments so far, i agree this is one of the best posts on how to maximize the performance of our little cars! They CAN be quick.
Some people reason that saving 1 lb of unsprung weight (wheels/tires) is more equivalent to 4-5 lbs in terms of a car's dynamics, so 3 lbs is conservative I would say, but a good number for purposes of comparison.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you added a S/C or Turbo and managed to get 150hp out of our cars your ratio would then be approximately 13.2lbs per horsepower.
This would allow you to hang out with the big boys...
2006 WRX (13.9lbs per hp) <--- possible kill
2006 Mini (21.9lbs per hp) <--- absolute kill
2006 Mini S (15.9lbs per hp) <--- kill
2007 GTI automatic (15.7 lbs per hp) <--- kill
2007 GTI manual (15.5 lbs per hp) <--- kill
2006 Civic Si (14.6lbs per hp) <--- kill

I think the numbers speak for themselves.

I understand that this figures are accounted only for the stock vehicles, but so what!
Oh, not to mention we would BURN a stock tC or a slightly modded one.

Cheer up xA's and xB's. We can be fast, if your smart and do it right!
Old 08-26-2006, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Obvisouly it would be wise to beef up your suspension because with that kind of weight 2 power ratio it would be unsafe on our stock suspension. Plus those cars would out handling you...
springs, rear sway, and front strut should be sufficient to tighten things up, Cost would be around 350-500 bucks, no biggy.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

True. I was factoring in expensive wheels and tires, plus coilovers etc. But $500 plus the cost of wheels and tires is all that's really needed.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I totally agree re: handling and all that. In a track setting, even with the fully modded/turbo Xb, those other cars (gti, mini, si,wrx) would hand it to us. In straight speed the Xb CAN, with total $ spent on mods being LESS than any of those cars, be faster than those cars...in a straight line. Even that to me is amazing. But, getting the Xb to that stage of course is time/$ consuming and is very risky. But it can be done and it CAN be done by any ordinary shmoe with some time/$ on his/her hands. The cars are wonderous people, we have proven that the Xb can be more than just a show piece or a grocery getter, and that diversity sets it apart and makes it appeal to all types of people.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What really makes this topic nice is that their is no bashing, lol. I hope i didnt speak too soon...
thanks guys for the insight keep it up. Anyone have a data to add?
Old 08-27-2006, 04:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have something to add... but it kinda contradicts this whole thread. i saywhy go through all that work? the scions will still be slow. we didnt not buy our scions to race or haul but every where we go.. if i was going for speed i woulda kept my 5.0 these are economy car, we are supposed to just look good while we cruise it, and get some killer gas milage... but that just my .02
Old 08-27-2006, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Why does there have to be so many posts to contradict the point of the original post?
It doesn't matter if cutting weight will make it faster than another car as long as the person doing it enjoys doing it and enjoys the result. Any improvement is good. Why do you have to degrade what some are trying to do? We all have our own opinions but this post isn't an opinion poll. This is an information and sharing post.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chadfo
Why does there have to be so many posts to contradict the point of the original post?
It doesn't matter if cutting weight will make it faster than another car as long as the person doing it enjoys doing it and enjoys the result. Any improvement is good. Why do you have to degrade what some are trying to do? We all have our own opinions but this post isn't an opinion poll. This is an information and sharing post.
to let you know im hardly ever negative, and im not trying to be.. and for your information a forum is based on PEOPLES OPINIONS.. if it wasnt there would be a forum...its my own opinion, im not saying yer not allowed to take weight off your car.. by all means do it.. more power to you. in fact maybe i will like what you have done with it. i was just stating my feel on it.. its not that big of a deal buddy.. dont get so upset over it
Old 08-27-2006, 07:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Less Weight = More Power. How to lose the lbs.

Scion xA (manual) = 2340 lbs
Scion xB (manual) = 2395 lbs

Horsepower: 103

Scion xA ratio: 22.7 lbs per horsepower.
Scion xB ratio: 23.25 lbs per horsepower.

The general agreement among SL members is that Cold air intake + Headers + Axle back roughly developes 7-10 hp in our cars.

xB and xA with CAI/header/exhaust horsepower: 111

Scion xA ratio: 21.1 lbs per horsepower.
Scion xB ratio: 21.6 lbs per horsepower.

This is approximately a 7.5% increase in horsepower.

Besides adding a pulley, there is not many more worthwhile performance options while staying non turbo, non superchargered (n/a).

The only way to get some improvements is the shed the weight. I think 150-200 lbs is a good goal.

Scion xA (manual) = 2340 lbs - 200lbs = 2140
Scion xB (manual) = 2395 lbs - 200lbs = 2195

Scion xA ratio: 19.3 lbs per horsepower.
Scion xB ratio: 19.7 lbs per horsepower.

200 lbs makes 10hp. Simply proved by if 2340 (stock weight) divided by 113 (stock hp + 10 horsepower) equals 20.7 hp per lb. 2140 divided by 103 equals 20.7 lbs per hp. Its that same thing.

This is a 9.3% increase in horsepower and a 17.6% increase in horsepower over stock!

Cool, but how the hell are we gonna get 200 lbs off our egg or box?

Please note that weight reduction can go as far as you want to take it at the expense of comfort, convenience, and $.
It is important for YOU the driver to figure out how far you want to take it.
Just because it is listed above does not mean I recomend it.

Red top battery <--- i gotta check but I think you can lose 20-30 lbs on this one.
leight weight wheels <-- i have 15" falken hanabis with 195/50 falken ziex total weight 27 lbs each. about 7 lbs lighter than stock. 7x4 = 28lbs. 28 x 3 (rotational mass 1lb equals 3lbs of dead weight) = 84lbs !
remove back seat + spare tire <--- back seat is heavy!! I think it is around 60lbs and spare is approxe 20lb. total weigth reduced 80lbs.
random junk you have in your car <-- i bet you get find a misc 10lb laying around
get your lazy butt on a diet <--- 10lbs.
*ADDED*
Carbon Fiber Hood + Hatch <---- waiting for numbers.
Drive on half a tank or less 6 gallons x 4.5 = 27lbs reduced.
Drain window washer fluid <--- 2-3 lbs.

Total weight reduced : approximately 250 lbs! BEYOND our goal!

----
Just to give you an idea of other cars horsepower per lb ratio:

Scion tC (auto) = 18.45
Mazda 3 i = 18
07 Mitsubitshi Eclipse = 20.2
Ford F150 V8 king ranch = 23.5
Camry 2.4liter = 21
VW Rabbit (4dr) = 19.4
base Nissan Sentra = 20.8
----
Also, Perrin claims that their 1.2lb pulley is equal to a weight reduction of 100lbs. I have not installed this mods so I can not comment on this. Althought I have heard it does free up some power as claimed.

Scion xA with CAI/header/exhaust = 111hp. Goal wieght of 2140lbs + Perrin pulley = 2040
Giving a new ratio of 18.3lbs per horsepower... which is better than that of the tC (as shown above)
Yeah only the tC's power to weight for the manual isn't even 18.x. It's 22.5-23.5 with a driver. The xb's stock power to weight is 26.4-27.4 with stock weight, which makes the xa's 25.4-26.4 since the xa weighs close to 100lbs less. And with 110whp and 250lbs taken out the new power to weight 20.9, not 18.x. To have 18.x power to weight you need roughly 120-130whp. With gearing you'll be pretty fast, and thats with stock weight. Oh, not to mention that when you do power to weight the actual power to weight should be done as car+driver / whp, not car / hp because thats not what the real p/w will be. And i have personally stripped out my car, i'd like to see who weighed their backseat to be 60lbs and i'd like to see you save 30lbs off a lighter battery, we don't have a massive battery. Oh, and the most weight you are going to shed is take out what you said, then take out the a/c unit and lines, speakers.

With a c/f hood you'll save 10lbs or so with most c/f hoods, up to probably 15lbs.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Back to effective weight reduction.

Originally Posted by Graeme
I put on new Enkei RPF1s today. 15 X 7 Aluminum wheel weighs 9#. Stock steelie weights 17.5#. Saves 8.5# per corner--34# total. Using a common coversion, for discussion only, that one pound of rotating weight saved equals about three pounds of chassis weight, my wheel change is the equivalent of removing about 102# of vehicle weight.

For the wheel only, it calculates to a 51% reduction of moment of inertia.
Just note, however, the power issue only involves the front wheels as the lighter the wheels, the less hp it takes to rotate. However, if you have larger diameter and wider with stickier tires, you have more things to consider, as well...

It's all kinda endless.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jones75254
Ok, point 'em out boy... My point was simple. Take any of those cars to a track. Take them in stock form along with our stock XBs. Of course a few things need to be considered. One, our boxes with $4k worth of engine mods is going to need suspension to hold it down. A stock Mini S has better suspension than ours does to start with. Less body flex, less roll, etc. If you add $4k to the XB, you're doing just motor stuff. A Supercharger set-up is close to $3k or more, you're going to need to do more than just the charger so, $4k is motor only. IF you get to that 160-180 hp range, you need the car to be able to handle it. It can't currently.

Basically, I'll take a stock Mini S or WRX or Celica and with one of those other $20k - $25k cars and go better in a more efficient manner (Heavier or not) and still wax the XB.

Here's why. $4k to cover motor, $1k for wheels and tires, and at least another $1k in stuff like frame braces, sway bars, etc., and finally, another bit of money to cover exhaust, intake, etc. to compliment that motor work.

We'll go cheap and do $7k in total and the car is still only at 160 to POSSIBLY 170 w/o major internal stuff to the motor. At $15k for our cars plus $7k in bolt-ons, you're in that $22k range just to compete. Get my drift? Again, these cars no matter how passionate you are in your mind about them, they still are not world beaters.

A WRX in stock form is pretty much going to beat a modded out XB. If you don't realize that, you aren't getting what I am saying...
Old 08-27-2006, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Boxer_Rebellion
I think lizard might have been bent out of shape from the reference to the Z06 (and might be somewhat jaded from racing bikes etc...)

I only mentioned the Vette to show that I have indeed driven very fast cars. I'd rather have a fully sorted xB because it is a better compromise between performance and practicality (with price also a consideration of the practicality side.)

Another point I'd like to make. Flat out performance numbers are not really a factor on the street. The only place 199mph top speed matters is on the track, and possibly someone's needy ego. And while it's fun to get to 100mph in less than 9 seconds (as I did that day w/the Z06 I must admit) that kind of power gets people in trouble in the real world.

But here's the point. What makes the xB so great is the same thing that makes Triumphs and Miatas great- they have performance levels that can be actually explored and pushed in daily driving, which makes them entertaining to drive everyday. As much as I love supercars I think the daily commute would feel like being in a cage, always being reminded of it's unused potential. Unless I lived in Germany or in Montana somwhere, it would get kinda depressing after a while.

So anyway, my real-world dream car is a WRX sti wagon, but right now for half the price I'll keep working on the xB.
I'm not jaded from the bikes deal. Guy was stating that I may not really know what was going on since I never seemingly experienced the awe of an XB with 180 hp. There's plenty of machines in this world that are awe inspiring. Cars with 180 hp aren't. Bikes that weigh 400 lbs STOCK with 170 hp at the wheel STOCK are. Never mind one in true Superstock set-up...

The issue with you and the vette are pretty simple. I think you and I are really on the same page believe it or not. I agree 100% for the money and for the fact of what these cars really are, they are a great bang for the buck.

However, our conversation included track scenerios and that is where we sorta lost everyone. Track is MUCH different than street. Agreed. However, performance is performance. A 180 hp XB isn't a car that can be used 100% of it's potential any easier than a Z06. There isn't many on here, I presume who can even drive a 180 hp XB with top skill. Many people think they can, few can deliver...

Point you make is understandable and I agree with you on the compromise ideal. However, based on performance, an XB has a ways to go...
Old 08-27-2006, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you added a S/C or Turbo and managed to get 150hp out of our cars your ratio would then be approximately 13.2lbs per horsepower.
This would allow you to hang out with the big boys...
2006 WRX (13.9lbs per hp) <--- possible kill
2006 Mini (21.9lbs per hp) <--- absolute kill
2006 Mini S (15.9lbs per hp) <--- kill
2007 GTI automatic (15.7 lbs per hp) <--- kill
2007 GTI manual (15.5 lbs per hp) <--- kill
2006 Civic Si (14.6lbs per hp) <--- kill

I think the numbers speak for themselves.

I understand that this figures are accounted only for the stock vehicles, but so what!
Oh, not to mention we would BURN a stock tC or a slightly modded one.

Cheer up xA's and xB's. We can be fast, if your smart and do it right!
Some sobering thoughts...

A WRX will kill an XB in handling... A GTi will, a Civic Si will, a MiniS will, etc. Point above statement I made is pointing towards that. Hp/lb is a great math equation if you can make things equal. However, w/o touching a WRX, GTi, Mini S, etc., you have cars with really good suspension when considering they are stock. All the cars listed are based on a formula that accents their sport heritage. The XB isn't designed under that mentality. Just the dollars needed to get the suspension near theirs (Coil overs) is almost a $1k tab. So, like I stated, adding $3k to that motor bill is basically being generous.

An XB with 180 hp in stock trim and nothing else is a great lesson in hp per pound ratios, but if that little box is stock outside motorwork, that advantage in power to weight means squat.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by must_tang50
i have something to add... but it kinda contradicts this whole thread. i saywhy go through all that work? the scions will still be slow. we didnt not buy our scions to race or haul but every where we go.. if i was going for speed i woulda kept my 5.0 these are economy car, we are supposed to just look good while we cruise it, and get some killer gas milage... but that just my .02
I guess that is exactly what I am saying except it all got lost when we started comparing cars. The ol' chest puffing that is typical of passionate people who cannot sometimes step back and read what they typed...

Quick Reply: Less Weight = More Power. How to lose the lbs.