Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Manual vs. Auto when turbo come to mind??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 06:08 PM
SMG
5 Year Member

Default Manual vs. Auto when turbo come to mind??

Do you guys know if there is a major difference in performance? If and when i get my Xb i plan on getting a turbo kit. Thing is this would be my wife's car too and she's not that good at driving a manual car. this car is for daily driving but i also plan on entering it in the local car shows. so i also want it to have the show appeal to it. can you guys please help me out with this situation?
thank you!
Old 10-17-2003, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
N.G.S.O.

if u live in the city get the auto if not get the stick its not hard to learn how do drive a stick if that is what u really want get it
Old 10-18-2003, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have read up on some of the differences and one point i have seen is that for low boost applications an auto seemed to be better. for overall power a manual was better beause you have more control. could be wrong though.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:39 AM
5 Year Member

if u live in the city get the auto
That makes no sence! City driving is murder on auto trans! Many old time cabbys will actually shift to neutral when idleing at a light. The reason is because the torque converter is not disengaged , just slipping. Auto trans are more suceptable to high heat and stop and go will do that for sure. A manual transmission is much better on gas milage{assuming you don't drive like a Fast/Furious wanabe}. They also tend to need far less care and when they go out it is usually not completely - when autos go out , there out! Now to get back to the original question , if your wife needs the auto then go with that , nothing worse than an upset wife !!! As far as wether a turbo would work better with would depend on how you plan on driving it. If it will be SCCA racing then yea you will need the manual otherwise a turbo works fine with an automatic transmission.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
N.G.S.O.

Originally Posted by Risen_Son_Racing
if u live in the city get the auto
That makes no sence! City driving is murder on auto trans! Many old time cabbys will actually shift to neutral when idleing at a light. The reason is because the torque converter is not disengaged , just slipping. Auto trans are more suceptable to high heat and stop and go will do that for sure. A manual transmission is much better on gas milage{assuming you don't drive like a Fast/Furious wanabe}. They also tend to need far less care and when they go out it is usually not completely - when autos go out , there out! Now to get back to the original question , if your wife needs the auto then go with that , nothing worse than an upset wife !!! As far as wether a turbo would work better with would depend on how you plan on driving it. If it will be SCCA racing then yea you will need the manual otherwise a turbo works fine with an automatic transmission.
well most people dont like to drive 5sp in big citys as a daily driver and if his wife dont know how to drive one u know she is not going to like driveing it in a big city everday but i could be wrong
Old 10-18-2003, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would have to say teach the Wifey to drive a manual better. She will have a lot more fun with it. (not to mention how much fun you'll have too. )
Old 10-20-2003, 01:51 PM
SMG
5 Year Member

LOL! thanks guys, yeah i decided to go with the auto. this being a family car for us and the fact the we have two small boys, ages 5 & 3, a manual really wouldn't be for us. now if i where to get one for my personal use then no doubt i will go with the manual. Not to mention i might wait for a little while at least before i get it. To make sure whatever kinks it might have will be worked out by the manufacturer first. Not to mention if they decide to release a more powerful power plant for the little sucker. Alas i will wait, and my hopes of being the first person in Houston to get it will go down the drain i still want the car/suv or whatever it's classified under. :D
thank you again!