Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...
View Poll Results: The Most Miles I've Driven on One Tank of Fuel in my XB is...
300 miles
17.81%
330 miles
34.25%
350 miles
8.22%
360 miles
8.22%
375 miles
5.48%
400 miles
5.48%
425 miles
2.74%
450 miles
0%
Less than 300 miles
17.81%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Most Miles on One Tank of Gas in my XB is....

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

KrAzY-ScionCE if you were cornering or something the fuel may have sloshed around in the tank enough to trigger the low fuel light. My Subaru did that all the time. I think it just wanted attention.

I've only done one tank on my xA so far, with the dealer having filled the tank for me with 9 miles on the clock. the light came on right as the needle hit the lowest mark, and not long after that I filled it up with 10.3 gallons for about 330 miles.

Isn't the tank listed as 10.9 gallons capacity in the manual? So, jamesgang, does that mean you can get 37 miles per 0.1 gallons? What's the most fuel anyone's ever managed to fill into their xA?
Old 10-12-2005, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by TJ
366 miles on 9.910 gallons.
ha ha ha . pipe dreams.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i drove 177 miles today on about 6.5 or 6 g gallons.....

going 90mph ha ha . took me just over 2 hours. 30 mpg while going 90mph . can't beat that.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i haven't been doin to good on the gas. its been a while since i drove a manual, and i seem to have a problem downshifting. so i been putting up just over 320. new car, so i am hoping after i get better at my shifter, and the engine breaks in, that my miles will go way up.
I also have been using the NOS engine booster. I have figured out a system to this octane boost. (the only reason i use the NOS is becuase it comes in the blue little bottle that says NOS and my brother likes to put them in his JEEP to say he has NOS, and it is the same price so who cares)

For the first month use a bottle at every fill up, and you will slowly notice hp gains, and mpg gains. until after about your third or fourth fillup then you only have to use these about once a month to keep the system at its peak. I used this system on my old Dodge Colt. i used to get 27 mpg on this guy, then i did the octane booster for the first month, and every fill would boost my mpg more. then after the first month at every fill, i was up to 36 mpg (driving the same conditions) and kept adding the NOS additive every month and it dropped to 34, but then stayed consistent at 34.

for me it was worth the extra 5 bux a month for the added 7mpg, which was about 80 miles more a fill, which is about 10 bux of gas. and the NOS additive is the expensive one.

the other benefits were the engine idled smoother, cleaner emission, a little more power, and there weren't any more pings. (but this was an old engine 145000 + miles) the xB shouldn't have any problems being a new engine. I am still doin the engine additive so after a couple of months if this thread is still alive, i will post again after i get my new totals figured out.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GrantR
Isn't the tank listed as 10.9 gallons capacity in the manual? So, jamesgang, does that mean you can get 37 miles per 0.1 gallons? What's the most fuel anyone's ever managed to fill into their xA?
I have no idea what the xA's fuel capacity is, but the xB is 11.9 gallons. Plus I fill the neck. so my 37 gallon extension was a conservative estimate.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
Originally Posted by TJ
ha ha ha . pipe dreams.
I'd be disappointed if I consistently got this LOW a mileage. I have to be running the highway with the A/C on to do so poorly.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

you guys are all traveling downhill or don't know how to accurately calculate your mileage cuz trust this you aren't getting that good of mileage.

and since when would a claimed 36 mpg be a dissappointment? you should have bought a prius. people are getting 45-52 mpg consistently with combined driving.....def worth the extra money if you care about 36mpg(which is a helluva lot) not being good enough on gas.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by WeeMan
i haven't been doin to good on the gas. its been a while since i drove a manual, and i seem to have a problem downshifting. so i been putting up just over 320. new car, so i am hoping after i get better at my shifter, and the engine breaks in, that my miles will go way up.
I also have been using the NOS engine booster. I have figured out a system to this octane boost. (the only reason i use the NOS is becuase it comes in the blue little bottle that says NOS and my brother likes to put them in his JEEP to say he has NOS, and it is the same price so who cares)

For the first month use a bottle at every fill up, and you will slowly notice hp gains, and mpg gains. until after about your third or fourth fillup then you only have to use these about once a month to keep the system at its peak. I used this system on my old Dodge Colt. i used to get 27 mpg on this guy, then i did the octane booster for the first month, and every fill would boost my mpg more. then after the first month at every fill, i was up to 36 mpg (driving the same conditions) and kept adding the NOS additive every month and it dropped to 34, but then stayed consistent at 34.

for me it was worth the extra 5 bux a month for the added 7mpg, which was about 80 miles more a fill, which is about 10 bux of gas. and the NOS additive is the expensive one.

the other benefits were the engine idled smoother, cleaner emission, a little more power, and there weren't any more pings. (but this was an old engine 145000 + miles) the xB shouldn't have any problems being a new engine. I am still doin the engine additive so after a couple of months if this thread is still alive, i will post again after i get my new totals figured out.
downshifting is unneeded.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member

like in my xB, i can still get a good 50 miles or better after the light goes on, plus if i fill up the tank when the light just goes on, i only get like 10 gallons, so doesnt the light go on with about two gallons in the tank, i never worry about that light. Total mileage around 325 miles per tank
Old 10-12-2005, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you guys are all traveling downhill or don't know how to accurately calculate your mileage cuz trust this you aren't getting that good of mileage.

and since when would a claimed 36 mpg be a dissappointment? you should have bought a prius. people are getting 45-52 mpg consistently with combined driving.....def worth the extra money if you care about 36mpg(which is a helluva lot) not being good enough on gas.

Here, you do the math for me.
408 miles between fill ups. 10.802 gallons at fill up (topped off )
408 divided by 10.802 = 37.770783
I don't know any other way to do it.
Why don't you come with me for a couple of tanks. You can pump and calculate. But ya can't drive. Then tell me what my "accurate" mpg is.
This is typical mileage for mixed highway/backroad and on again/off again a/c.
By the way - I don't call those getting mid to high 20 stupid - stupid.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:11 PM
TJ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TJ
ha ha ha . pipe dreams.
You can laugh but i have all my mileage documented for the past couple of months.
I drove like an 80 year old.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by jamesgang

Why don't you come with me for a couple of tanks. You can pump and calculate. But ya can't drive. Then tell me what my "accurate" mpg is.
I never called you stupid . Thanks for calling me stupid though.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jamesgang
you guys are all traveling downhill

I never called you stupid . Thanks for calling me stupid though.
"...or don't know how to accurately calculate your mileage cuz trust this you aren't getting that good of mileage...."
I guess I misinterpreted what you meant when you made the above statement. Maybe you called me a liar instead

"....
Old 10-13-2005, 10:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

not a liar just saying i think theres a miscalculation somewhere in the mix......

and if youd be dissappointed with 36mpg why is 37.78 mpg soo much more acceptable? lol. not hating or being mean or sarastic or smartassed just wondereding how the line between good and gas mileage is at 36/37.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member

300 miles.... and i drive 40-45 miles per day... at 70-80mph
:?
Old 10-13-2005, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I usually get about 32 mpg with my heavy-___ 18s.

Last tank I got 325 miles to the tank, but I was driving like a grandma. The most I've gotten was 338, I believe. That was with five people in the car on the stock wheels, 95% highway.

When my gas light goes on, I usually have about two gallons left.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not a liar just saying i think theres a miscalculation somewhere in the mix......

and if youd be dissappointed with 36mpg why is 37.78 mpg soo much more acceptable? lol. not hating or being mean or sarastic or smartassed just wondereding how the line between good and gas mileage is at 36/37.
And Round - And Round - We Go! I'm either a liar or I can't do simple division with a calculator. If I'm a liar - its habitual -- cause I do it every tank. If I can't divide with a calculator - maybe it doesn't work correctly. Anyway, you saw the example!
Never said 37.78 mpg is acceptable either. I'm aiming for a consistent 39. With the ocassional 40+. Anytime I get less than the window sticker says for highway miles I'm dissappointed. Can't recall if that was 35 or 36 for the 05 auto. That said, I've never gotten less than 35.4 - and that low only rarely
Old 10-15-2005, 06:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

how is 35.4 mpg low? ... how are you expecting to better the epa number which are statistically shown to be incorrect( very much so overstating the mileage ) considering real every day driving conditions and higher road speeds. not to mention loads inside the vehicle and wind...... well i dont dont how or if it's happening but good stuff. it isn't happening with me. but i'm not expecting or hoping for it so it doesnt bother me. i guess i'm just really really amazed and very very scepticle.(sp)

with my day to day city and highway driving i get between 25 and 32. on the freeway i get up to 35 if i drive grandma slow ( under 70 ) and 30 if i go between 70mph and upwards of 90mph.

i went from fresno to sac the other day 180 miles. and it took me 2 hours... averaged out that's 90mph and yet i still got 30mpg. that surprised the royal crap outta me.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

we should probably add the wheel size we're ridin on too. i think that factors into mpg, right?
Old 10-15-2005, 08:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

rollin on 18's and because of it get just above 300 miles to the tank. But i did buy a new header, flywheel and pulley, so it should jump drastically.........if i ever install them

Quick Reply: Most Miles on One Tank of Gas in my XB is....