Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

New here...questions..

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:10 PM

Default New here...questions..

I bought a 05 XA around a year ago. I'm not real familiar with the ins-out of cars, but I bought it at a Toyota dealer so I trusted that it would be a reliable vehicle. When I bought, I had noticed a little rust & corrosion thoughout the engine, and didn't think much of it. The carfax said nothing about flood damage so I went with it. One month or so after purchase the car stalled out. I took it in and they told me therer was water (i don't recall where) in the engine causing it to misfire. There were no other issues. The other day I was cleaning it up and noticed that there is a lot of corrosion throughout the engine, and rust inside by the pedals, up underneath the stereo, and the after looking closer, even the seat clamps. I had a friend show me how to remove the door panel. I discovered that there are waterspots inside, and the speaker is dirty. Then he pointed out that the fiberglass and the firewall are separating, the transmission fluid is in horrible condition, the hood latch is corroded and has no grease and assures me this was probably under water. I called them and they tried telling me it is from rock salt? I highly doubt this bc it is EVERYWHERE.

So my questions are:
Are these issues enough reason to fight this as being a flood car?
Could this also be the reason that the factory stereo gets too much current when using the CD changer?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like it could definitely be a flooded car if you are noticing that many rust spots. There should not be any rust in the interior of the car, so that is a huge red flag. I hope you are covered by some kind of warranty, because that is unacceptable for a dealership to sell you a vehicle such as that.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:30 AM

Default Thanks..

Thanks for your reply. I also agree that such a sale is unacceptable. It's under a 3 year warranty but they tell me it's not all covered because it's not mechanical failure. I'll probably need to get the better business bureau involved. Again, I appreciate the reply. I have pictures of all areas of concern.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

car fax is not 100%. some states have different laws pertaining to how the title records are recorded and published and maintained. there have been law suits about it.

i'd hire a lawyer and take them to court. (the dealership that is, not car fax.)
Old 04-30-2010, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hope your state has lemon laws.

http://www.carlemon.com/lemon/PA_LemonGuide.html
Old 04-30-2010, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, there is definitely stuff you can do about it. try out the lawyer route if nothing else seems to work out in the end
Old 04-30-2010, 10:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wonder if it would be worth talking to your insurance company for advice - maybe they have access to experts whop could testify that the car definitely exhibits water damage. Or perhaps they have other advice, too.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:32 PM
SL Member

I would take it back and complain about it, find yourself a lawyer and fight this. There is no reason why they should sell you a car like that and without right status of the car...
Old 04-30-2010, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

if the dealer told you it has no issues and never been in a accident/flood etc then that is illegal.also as stated with the carfax its not as great as everyone makes it sound but does help..also some info for you that car could have a title wash i think thats what its called, basically say the car was in state A had been flooded/damaged etc then sent to state B the title then gets washed and is now a clean title..
Old 05-07-2010, 11:56 PM

When my camera cooperates with the computer, I will post photos!

Thanks, everyone!