Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

New User, Question about ECU reset

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member

Default New User, Question about ECU reset

Hi everyone!

I'm new here. I'm from Montreal Canada, and I speak french.

I have a Toyota Echo hatch back. Same has your XA/XB model. Same motor, same frame, same everything exept body. I recently buy (3 months ago) an AEM COLD AIR INTAKE. Than by the way, I've buy them from a Scion autopart in Usa.

I've removed the OEM air filter and casing stock to instal my CAI without unpluging my battery. 2 months later, my clutch had a problem. My dealer changed it on waranty. But this time, my Battery was unplug during the installation of my new clutch. 2000 miles after, it's like my old air filter, less power, like a litle delay when I'm press on gaz, but the same sound.

I'm asking me if I removed my CAI, and I replaced the old systeme for 1 or 2 months, if after I replace my CAI again, without UNPLUGING THE BATTERY, if it's going to be the same before my new clutch installation...

Wow... I hope you will understand my French/glish... Hehehehee!!!

Anyway if someone can help me with that, or if it's only in my head, don't hesitated to tell me.

Thanks a lot for your answer.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

IMHO: Give the ECU time to relearn the settings for the best use of the CAI since the battery was disconnected.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: New User, Question about ECU reset

Originally Posted by Maximum
... I recently buy (3 months ago) an AEM... CAI without unpluging my battery. 2 months later... my Battery was unplug during the installation of my new clutch. 2000 miles after, it's like my old air filter, less power, like a litle delay when I'm press on gaz... if I removed my CAI, and I replaced the old systeme for 1 or 2 months, if after I replace my CAI again, without UNPLUGING THE BATTERY, if it's going to be the same before my new clutch installation...
Here is what I understand from this:
1. 3 months ago you installed an AEM CAI without resetting the ECU, and were satisfied with performance.
2. 1 month ago the dealer replaced the clutch and reset the ECU, and you say that made the engine run like the OEM intake.
3. You want to know if you can restore the performance by removing the AEM CAI, reinstalling the OEM intake for 1-2 months, then replacing the AEM CAI again without resetting the ECU.

Some people say the ECU "learns" each change to the engine. If so, it happens within 100 miles, so you don't need to drive a month or two. However, you say your ECU did better without "learning", and you want to "un-learn" the AEM CAI. You want it to "re-learn" the OEM intake and apply that old knowledge to the AEM CAI. This does not make sense, and the ECU is not capable of it.

I don't know if the ECU actually learns, retains and relearns, and requires resetting to do this. I suspect the ECU actually works rather immediately which what ever changes are made to the intake, as it only measures air there. I beleive the ECU looses its settings when the power is disconnected, and rebuilds them quickly when driving is resumed.

To answer your question, I think perhaps there is a problem with the AEM CAI or the xb"s mass air flow (MAF) sensor which is installed in it. You can try disconnecting and reconnecting your battery, but I doubt that this will change anything.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
... I recently buy (3 months ago) an AEM... CAI without unpluging my battery. 2 months later... my Battery was unplug during the installation of my new clutch. 2000 miles after, it's like my old air filter, less power, like a litle delay when I'm press on gaz... if I removed my CAI, and I replaced the old systeme for 1 or 2 months, if after I replace my CAI again, without UNPLUGING THE BATTERY, if it's going to be the same before my new clutch installation...
Here is what I understand from this:
1. 3 months ago you installed an AEM CAI without resetting the ECU, and were satisfied with performance.
2. 1 month ago the dealer replaced the clutch and reset the ECU, and you say that made the engine run like the OEM intake.
3. You want to know if you can restore the performance by removing the AEM CAI, reinstalling the OEM intake for 1-2 months, then replacing the AEM CAI again without resetting the ECU.

Some people say the ECU "learns" each change to the engine. If so, it happens within 100 miles, so you don't need to drive a month or two. However, you say your ECU did better without "learning", and you want to "un-learn" the AEM CAI. You want it to "re-learn" the OEM intake and apply that old knowledge to the AEM CAI. This does not make sense, and the ECU is not capable of it.

I don't know if the ECU actually learns, retains and relearns, and requires resetting to do this. I suspect the ECU actually works rather immediately which what ever changes are made to the intake, as it only measures air there. I beleive the ECU looses its settings when the power is disconnected, and rebuilds them quickly when driving is resumed.

To answer your question, I think perhaps there is a problem with the AEM CAI or the xb"s mass air flow (MAF) sensor which is installed in it. You can try disconnecting and reconnecting your battery, but I doubt that this will change anything.
That's exactly what I want to say! Yes!

I'm supose to have a Check Engine on defect MAF?
Old 07-29-2006, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

... I think perhaps there is a problem with the AEM CAI or the xb"s mass air flow (MAF) sensor which is installed in it. You can try disconnecting and reconnecting your battery, but I doubt that this will change anything.
That's exactly what I want to say! Yes! I'm supose to have a Check Engine on defect MAF?
Maybe ECU does not see a problem that would make it display a Check Engine light , which would have a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC).
You said the AEM CAI began to perform the same as the OEM intake. Maybe the ECU sees no problem with that.
I would disconnect and reconnect the battery again, drive 100 km, and if you still think that the engine is not performing as you expect, take it to the dealer.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

what you can to, to let your car relearn your intake is to remove your Fuel Injection fuse under the hood.

Take it out for about 15 min, put it back in, wait another 5, and start the car up. let it idle for a bit, then take a ride, fluctuating your throttle.

Then return to home, let the car idle for a couple of min. before turning it off, and you're good to go.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by hayalex6
what you can to, to let your car relearn your intake is to remove your Fuel Injection fuse under the hood.

Take it out for about 15 min, put it back in, wait another 5, and start the car up. let it idle for a bit, then take a ride, fluctuating your throttle.

Then return to home, let the car idle for a couple of min. before turning it off, and you're good to go.
And where is this fuse?
Old 07-29-2006, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

In the fuse box. Drivers side. In the engine compartment. Near the strut tower.

Fuse is Labeled EFI on the underside of the cover.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member

... I think perhaps there is a problem with the AEM CAI or the xb"s mass air flow (MAF) sensor which is installed in it. You can try disconnecting and reconnecting your battery, but I doubt that this will change anything.
That's exactly what I want to say! Yes! I'm supose to have a Check Engine on defect MAF?
Maybe ECU does not see a problem that would make it display a Check Engine light , which would have a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC).
You said the AEM CAI began to perform the same as the OEM intake. Maybe the ECU sees no problem with that.
I would disconnect and reconnect the battery again, drive 100 km, and if you still think that the engine is not performing as you expect, take it to the dealer.
Thanks, I will try this. If it's not work, I will try the fuel injection fuse.

You know, I don't want to be this kind of guy, always at the dealer to cry for everything. It's just a frustrating problem.

And you? What do you think about my idea to relearn the ecu with the old setup and reinstall my cai without disconnecting the battery?
Old 07-29-2006, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member

In the fuse box. Drivers side. In the engine compartment. Near the strut tower.

Fuse is Labeled EFI on the underside of the cover.
Wow, It's a fast answer.

Ok, just to make sure we talking about the same thing, I left my AEM CAI in there hein? It's not a test to do with the reinstallation of the old setup?

ok thanks
Old 07-30-2006, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

... Ok, just to make sure we talking about the same thing, I left my AEM CAI in there hein? It's not a test to do with the reinstallation of the old setup?...
Maximum, i doubt whether disconnecting the battery or pulling the fuel injection fuse is going to change anything. The whole thing about disconnecting the computer or parts of it, so that it can "relearn", sounds like a myth. I don't see any mention of this in the tech manuals. The computer likely deals with whatever conditions it sees, immediately.

In your original post, you said:
"... 2000 miles after (the dealer installed the clutch), ... (the AEM CAI is) like my old air filter, less power, like a litle delay when I'm press on gaz..."

So your dissatisfaction with the AEM CAI only began 2000 miles after the dealer disconnected the battery while replacing the clutch. I see no connection there.

I suggest you take a look at the AEM CAI to see if anything about it has changed. Is the AEM air filter dirty? Has the AEM pipe come loose so that air is entering after the MAF?
Finally, try putting the OEM intake back on to refresh your memory of what it was like. Perhaps you will see that the AEM CAI is still better than the OEM intake.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

... Ok, just to make sure we talking about the same thing, I left my AEM CAI in there hein? It's not a test to do with the reinstallation of the old setup?...
Maximum, i doubt whether disconnecting the battery or pulling the fuel injection fuse is going to change anything. The whole thing about disconnecting the computer or parts of it, so that it can "relearn", sounds like a myth. I don't see any mention of this in the tech manuals. The computer likely deals with whatever conditions it sees, immediately.

"... 2000 miles after (the dealer installed the clutch), ... (the AEM CAI is) like my old air filter, less power, like a litle delay when I'm press on gaz..."

So your dissatisfaction with the AEM CAI only began 2000 miles after the dealer disconnected the battery while replacing the clutch. Perhaps you are making a coneection between the two actions, where in fact there may be no connection.

I suggest you take a look at the AEM CAI to see if anything about it has changed. Is the AEM air filter dirty? Has the AEM pipe come loose so that air is entering after the MAF?
Finally, try putting the OEM intake back on to refresh your memory of what it was like. Perhaps you will see that the AEM CAI is still better than the OEM intake.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So your dissatisfaction with the AEM CAI only began 2000 miles after the dealer disconnected the battery while replacing the clutch. Perhaps you are making a connection between the two actions, where in fact there may be no connection.

Old 07-30-2006, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

So your dissatisfaction with the AEM CAI only began 2000 miles after the dealer disconnected the battery while replacing the clutch. I see no connection there.

Actually removing the fuse is another way for your ECU to reset and learn the new change in air being sucked in.

Basically everyone does it on their cars whenever any change in air intake, or exhaust.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...Actually removing the fuse is another way for your ECU to reset and learn the new change in air being sucked in. Basically everyone does it on their cars whenever any change in air intake, or exhaust.
You said the fuse was labeled EFI. That sounds like a fuse for the electronic fuel injection, which is not going to learn about air.

I know "everyone" is turning off the power to the ECU (engine control unit, or computer) when making changes. Everyone is doing this, but where does the basis for this come from? It is not in any of the manuls, and it does not make sense.

Turning off the power to the ECU may be for clearing trouble codes so that the ECU can be ready to sense fresh trouble codes (or to re-sense old trouble if uncorrected). But turning off the power so the ECU can "unlearn" and "relearn" engine management does not sound correct.

The ECU deals with data it senses in the present, not data it remembers from the past and is expected to unlearn so it can relearn from new changes. This sounds like a myth, and where did it start?
Old 07-30-2006, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Come on, stop double guessing me, it's getting annoying.

Removing the EFI fuse is a well knon way of resetting the ECU without losing your trip odometer or your radio settings.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Come on, stop double guessing me, it's getting annoying. Removing the EFI fuse is a well knon way of resetting the ECU without losing your trip odometer or your radio settings.
You are referring to this thread:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33062
Someone suggested I do that when I started using premium gas. I did that. I am not sure what good it did, but it did no harm. That is not the point of my comments at all.

Please re-read my post and answer the question in it:
Why is "everyone" is turning off the power to the ECU (engine control unit, or computer) when making changes? Turning off the power to the ECU may be for clearing trouble codes so that the ECU can be ready to sense fresh trouble codes (or to re-sense old trouble if uncorrected). But turning off the power so the ECU can "unlearn" and "relearn" engine management does not make sense. Surely the ECU only deals with engine running data it senses in the present, not data it holds from the past and must "unlearn".

Is there anyone who is truly familiar with the ECU who can answer this?
Old 07-30-2006, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

no one on here is that familiar with them, since they are new 64 bit learning ECU's.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member

Hehehehe!!! Ok guy's don't start a war with my thread!

Anyway, This mornig, I've removed my CAI to reinstall my stock intake. For now, my motor run very very well. Idle is at 600RPM, and it does'nt move. I drove all afternoon, with no problem, and I does'nt see less power than yesterday with my CAI.

Probably wednesday, i'll reinstall my CAI without diconecting my battery to see what happen.

One thing I remember from my first installation... The idle... The idle for about 600km (260 miles) was incorected. The idle was always moving from 600RPM to 1000RPM... After 600km, everything was OK... When I took my car from the dealer, with a battery disconnect, my idle was the same. Steddy at 600RPM... Like this morning... That's weird.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

No comment on the ECU, but is your CAI filter good and clean? If it had been on for a while, then it could have caused some of the problems that you were describing.

Quick Reply: New User, Question about ECU reset