Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

NOLOGY hotwires any good? can U feel the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default NOLOGY hotwires any good? can U feel the difference?

Thinking of getting them...anyone have experience with these?.....
Old 09-03-2005, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Probably not. Modern electronics and ignition systems give very intense sparks and I seriously doubt any extra voltage would make any perceptable difference.

Walt
Old 09-03-2005, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Call me crazy, but last time I looked, the 1NZ-FE engine has a coil on plug design. So you dont have spark plug wires
Old 09-04-2005, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Nologys ADD wires with larger coilpacks mounted above the intake manifold/fuel rail. I could see giving them a try if they wern't almost 200.00!! But, like I said, I really doubt a difference could be detected.

Walt
Old 09-04-2005, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member

Nology works, but I like the SUN Hyper Voltage system better. they have dyno proven results. I've run the voltage on my scion for weeks and its improved mpg and power noticably
Old 09-04-2005, 10:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

the nology does not change you coilpacks. just adds spark wires. i'm debating this mod. in theory adding length between coilpack and sparkplug will lower performance but everyone who's bought them swears that they're better.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

and i don't think the hypervoltage will do much.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

moved to power hungry....
Old 09-05-2005, 06:25 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
and i don't think the hypervoltage will do much.
i dynoed it on my VW for 5 whp.

it been dynoed on a volvo for 15 whp and an rx7 for 14 whp...but your right it probably does nothing
Old 09-05-2005, 09:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

with these motors not much of anything short of f/i does much. lol. i cant justify 188.00 for something that might work well or might just do nothing. i'd rather get the nology wires since i've read rave reviews about them on xa/xb's on here
Old 09-05-2005, 12:57 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

I have used the Nology on other vehicles all heavily modded and they are awesome...however on 108hp and not hightly modded you probably won't notice much of a difference.....
Old 09-05-2005, 01:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

well i'm modded enough to run 16.0
Old 09-06-2005, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member

Guess what: You guys (those seeing/feeling HP gains) are hallucinating. Read this (excerpt derived from research & developmental studies conducted by a REAL performance ignition wire company):

Magnecor Wire Study-

"CAPACITOR" EFFECT WIRES with grounded metal braiding over jacket
The most notable of exaggerated claims for ignition wires are made by Nology, a recent manufacturer of ignition wires promoted as "the only spark plug wires with built-in capacitor." Nology's "HotWires" (called "Plasma Leads" in the UK) consist of unsuppressed solid metal or spiral conductor ignition wires over which braided metal sleeves are partially fitted. The braided metal sleeves are grounded via straps formed from part of the braiding. Insulating covers are fitted over the braided metal sleeves. These wires are well constructed. For whatever reason, Nology specifies that non-resistor spark plugs need to be used with their "HotWires." In a demonstration, the use of resistor plugs nullifies the visual effect of the brighter spark.

Ignition wires with grounded braided metal sleeves over the cable have come and gone all over the world for (at least) the last 30 years, and similar wires were used over 20 years ago by a few car makers to solve cross-firing problems on early fuel injected engines and RFI problems on fiberglass bodied cars — only to find other problems were created. The recent Circle Track Magazine (USA, May, 1996 issue) test showed Nology "HotWires" produced no additional horsepower (the test actually showed a 10 horsepower decrease when compared to stock carbon conductor wires).

The perceived effect a brighter spark, conducted by an ignition wire, encased or partially encased in a braided metal sleeve (shield) grounded to the engine, jumping across a huge free-air gap (which bears no relationship to the spark needed to fire the variable air/fuel mixture under pressure in a combustion chamber) is continually being re-discovered and cleverly demonstrated by marketers who convince themselves there's monetary value in such a bright spark, and all sorts of wild, completely un-provable claims are made for this phenomena.

Like many in the past, Nology cleverly demonstrates a brighter free-air spark containing useless flash-over created by the crude "capacitor" (effect) of this style of wire. In reality, the bright spark has no more useful energy to fire a variable compressed air/fuel mixture than the clean spark you would see in a similar demonstration using any good carbon conductor wire. What is happening in such a demonstration is the coil output is being unnecessarily boosted to additionally supply spark energy that is induced (and wasted) into the grounded braided metal sleeve around the ignition wire's jacket. To test the validity of this statement, ask the demonstrator to disconnect the ground strap and observe just how much energy is sparking to ground.

Claims by Nology of their "HotWires" creating sparks that are "300 times more powerful," reaching temperatures of "100,000 to 150,000 degrees F" (more than enough to melt spark plug electrodes), spark durations of "4 billionths of a second" (spark duration is controlled by the ignition system itself) and currents of "1,000 amperes" magically evolving in "capacitors" allegedly "built-in" to the ignition wires are as ridiculous as the data and the depiction of sparks in photographs used in advertising material and the price asked for these wires! Most stock ignition primaries are regulated to 6 amperes and the most powerful race ignition to no more than 40 amperes at 12,000 RPM.

It is common knowledge amongst automotive electrical engineers that it is unwise to use ignition wires fitted with grounded braided metal sleeves fitted over ignition cable jackets on an automobile engine. This type of ignition wires forces its cable jackets to become an unsuitable dielectric for a crude capacitor (effect) between the conductor and the braided metal sleeves. While the wires function normally when first fitted, the cable jackets soon break down as a dielectric, and progressively more spark energy is induced from the conductors (though the cable jackets) into the grounded metal sleeves, causing the ignition coil to unnecessarily output more energy to fire both the spark plug gaps and the additional energy lost via the braided metal sleeves. Often this situation leads to ignition coil and control unit overload failures. It should be noted that it is dangerous to use these wires if not grounded to the engine, as the grounding straps will be alive with thousands of volts wanting to ground-out to anything (or body) nearby.

Unless you are prepared to accept poorly suppressed ignition wires that fail sooner than any other type of ignition wires and stretch your ignition system to the limit, and have an engine with no electronic management system and/or exhaust emission controls, it's best not to be influenced by the exaggerated claims, and some vested-interest journalists', resellers' and installers' perception an engine has more power after Nology wires are fitted. Often, after replacing deteriorated wires, any new ignition wires make an engine run better.

OTHER DEVICES CLAIMING TO INCREASE SPARKS:
Never be fooled by any device that is fitted between the ignition coil and the distributor, and/or distributor and the spark plugs (sometimes in place of ignition wires) for which claims of increased power, multiple sparks, and better fuel economy are made. These devices have come and gone over the last 50 years, and usually consists of a sealed container in which the spark is forced to jump an additional gap or is partially induced to ground on its way to the spark plug gap. These devices can also be cleverly demonstrated to produce sparks the human eye perceives as being "more powerful." The only "increase" a gullible consumer can expect from these devices is an undesirable increase in load on their vehicle's ignition system.

-------------
Looking for real performance wires? Visit www.magnecor.com to read more technical specifications, product information and application guide.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

yeah of course this comes from a biased source. aka magnecore sales rep or magnecore employee.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The recent Circle Track Magazine (USA, May, 1996 issue)
about says it all...

outdated and biased.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by dgHotLava
about says it all...

outdated and biased.
Electricity doesn't really get outdated. That article was right on the money though. I have told you guys from day 1 that these Nology wires are crap. Kinda hard to be honestly objective when you spend your hard earned money on snake-oil and such. Wouldn't sound right to tell your buddy you got hosed. Hard to admit to yourself too. So yeah, enjoy your new "horsepower" .
Old 09-06-2005, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Scott17
Originally Posted by dgHotLava
about says it all...

outdated and biased.
Electricity doesn't really get outdated. That article was right on the money though. I have told you guys from day 1 that these Nology wires are crap. Kinda hard to be honestly objective when you spend your hard earned money on snake-oil and such. Wouldn't sound right to tell your buddy you got hosed. Hard to admit to yourself too. So yeah, enjoy your new "horsepower" .
the article was one person trying to persude his point of view. no supporting facts or research articles.
and the kicker was his last paragrapgh about MSD's being useless...
i have dyno proven it to be helpfull
1973 AMC Javelin 304ci +17 hp from MSD...

now, do not read into this as me saying Nology are the best product out there. far from it.
i am just pointing out this author sucks. no facts, no research, all biased and opinionated.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The author did not include a bibliography, but his points are valid withstanding. The last paragraph does not reference MSDs, which are a whole 'nother animal,( and actually DO have a function and work),It was referring to inline resistance and pseudo-capacitance tricks that have been around for 50 years or so. Remember the old JC Whitney catalogs that advertized spark plugs that could "fire in oil"? Nothing but an air gap built into the plug to allow more coil saturation. Any old motocrosser could tell you what to do when your 10 miles from the truck and foul a plug; you lift the spark plug wire about 3/16" away from the plug and more often than not the bike will fire right up. The theory is sound, but the longevity is not. Coils will run much hotter, severely shortening their life, plug electrodes wear much faster, wires break down quicker, etc....The science of electric spark ignition is not that complex and all these ideas that are touted as new and revolutionary are as old as the hills and are not generally used much for a very good reason. Do you think all the car engineers from all the various makes are not well aware of this "superior technological breakthrough" and would not use it if it worked well? Sort of like the 50MPG carburetor? These companies exist simply to prey on the naieve. If a product makes more power than another at a reasonable cost, you can be assured it will find it's way to the racetrack quick, fast, and in a hurry. REAL racers dont use crap like this. They use MSDs, CDIs, magnetos, and powerful coils and low resistance wiring. It's said that fishing lures catch more fishermen than fish. Same with this junk. And as far as proof goes, where's the unbiased proof that this junk DOES work? I have personally never seen any. So is the mindset that something works great as long as the manufacturer says so in clever advertising, until proven that it doesn't? Doesn't sound like a well thought out plan.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

here is the reference...

Never be fooled by any device that is fitted between the ignition coil and the distributor, and/or distributor and the spark plugs (sometimes in place of ignition wires) for which claims of increased power, multiple sparks, and better fuel economy are made.
it implies that MSD's do not work

anyways...be informed about what you buy.
thats the real message here.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have been in the automotive repair and tuning scene for almost 10 years and have never seen a wire or plug make power...unless there was something terribly wrong with the part it replaced!!
The 1NZ-FE has a coil on plug design that is the most efficient setup for almost any engine
deviating from this will not only void your warranty(if u care)
it will cause your coils to work so much harder to overcome the capacitor and cylinder pressure vs. just cylinder pressure
I cannot say these are not worth the money or not

but I will say that those who spend...are gonna defend
no one wants to be the guinea pig-moron

Quick Reply: NOLOGY hotwires any good? can U feel the difference?