Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Please Help Scion xA Power Loss

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 01:55 PM

Default Please Help Scion xA Power Loss

OK I need some help here i have a 2005 xA with Perrin Intake DC Headers, DC Exhaust, underweight pulley recently I noticed i have lost a lot of power when I'm starting out in first there's just no get up at all but after I get going I'm OK now recently I have been getting a CEL saying I had a misfire in Cyl 2 so I changed out all the plugs with NGKs then about a week latter I got the same code again so I changed the coil a week latter the same code again the code only pops with my car is just sitting at idle like if I leave it at the gas station running or something the code pops so I was thinking maybe its the TPS sensor I'm just lost if any one can help.

thanks
Chris

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-06-2018 at 08:58 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-30-2010, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had the same problem with my tC. Try shifting all of your coils th the right one place, and the last one to the first... Then let it idle and see if your misfire changes too.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:16 PM

i tried that last week and the code poped again this week i havent scanned it yet to see if its the same cyl or not mybe one plug is bad i dont know its driving me crazy the car has been drinking gas too
Old 06-30-2010, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
Scikotics
SL Member
Premium Member

Check your MAF sensor and your O2 Sensor..
Old 06-30-2010, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you keep getting misfire code on the same cylinder after changing plugs and coil, you may try swapping injector (use new o-rings) and checking compression. Did the old plugs look the same on all cylinders?
Old 06-30-2010, 04:12 PM

how would i know if the maf was bad can i test it im ganna but the maf cleaner today and try that
Old 06-30-2010, 04:14 PM

one plug had some rust around it but th head was good i will try swaping the injectors not really sure how to any one have a diy for that and where can i get the ring the dealer
Old 06-30-2010, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dealer sells o-ring for cheap. But it's easier to check compression first.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:39 PM

how can i check compression
Old 06-30-2010, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

With compression tester gauge. Can have done in the shop.
There are videos on youtube that will give you an idea how it's done.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

I think that should be enough periods and commas to help you out. After doing a maf cleaning, make sure you pull the fuse for the ecu. That way it will relearn the current conditions. Pull any codes before you do a reset the ecu though.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:04 AM

thanks i will try that and see what happens
Old 07-11-2010, 10:03 PM

ok i cleaned the maf and reset the ecu a couple days later i popped 2 codes for misfire 1,2 cyl so i changed the plugs again thinking just mybe i got bad plugs but now i just poped codes again now im not 100% sure but it seems like most of the time i pop codes when my cars almost out of gas dont know if that means anything or not
Old 08-03-2010, 12:52 AM

ok so i took out the injectors yasterday and a couple of my seals were completely broke so i ordered some new seals and we will see what happens
Old 08-05-2010, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It sounds kind of like a problem I had 1 week ago. 2 weeks ago I re oiled my air filter and over oiled it and the very next day my check engine light came on but it ran normal but I still babied it. I went to Oriely's auto parts and used the scan gauge (even though I knew it was from oil getting on the maf sensor) since I had to go to get cleaner for the sensor anyway and it said the motor was running lean, which makes sense because a dirty sensor would get bad readings. I cleaned the sensor then waited about a week before messing with the light to make sure all the excess oil had dripped off then I cleaned the sensor again and pulled the efi fuse like all the sites were saying to do. I started it right after putting the fuse back in and the check engine light was off and the motor was idling normally so I just let it run for about 5 minutes. Well the very next day when I started it to go to an appointment the light came on instantly and I had hardly any power. It was bad, I could get up to speed but it took a long time and if I gave it too much gas it would chug. So right after the appointment right back to Oriley's to use the scan gauge again, this time it said cylinders 3 and 4 misfire. So I used the scanner this time to clear the code and restarted the motor in the parking lot and everything was back to normal. So my guess was the efi fuse was for the electronic fuel injection, which makes perfect sense why pulling that fuse would screw up the firing. Next time you get a check engine light don't pull any fuses, use a scan gauge to clear it, it's free and all auto stores have them.

I don't know if you have the same problem but I'm just trying to help. Use CRC cleaner on the maf sensor then use a scanner to clear the code and you might get lucky.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:36 AM

yea i have never pulled my fuse i have cleared with scanner or by unhooking battery . i pulled my injectors and found some bad seals i replaced those seals but its still saying msfire 1-2 when i drive its fine its when im at idle that the code goes off aand if my ac is on it will randomly stall i dont know . im about to just give up and take it to toyota
Old 08-10-2010, 12:55 PM

i repulled the mass air flow sensor cleaned it and pulled the fuse to reset the computer the car started up fine idled good but after leaving it running for about 20 mins it pulled codes again it always seems to happen when my car is at idle like in a drive thru it always pulls codes any help would be great
Old 08-10-2010, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

Seriously... please use punctuation. It helps keep the thoughts separated and makes things much easier to read.

If you have no problems while running and the code comes up at idle, what is your current idle speed? Perhaps bring the idle up a smidge or check if it's below specs.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:30 PM

so toyota says i have a blown head gasket. Any advise im ganna try changing it myself doesnt look to bad ..i hope.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by ethanrylee
so toyota says i have a blown head gasket. Any advise im ganna try changing it myself doesnt look to bad ..i hope.
it pretty straight forward. just empty your oil out as well as possible, maybe tilt the car one or two ways cuz sometimes its a lil stubborn. just be prepared for a bit of a mess. organization is really the key too, and really really try to make sure no debris gets into your cylinder bores or on your cams(keep it all covered). i had a buddy who did this in his driveway and set everything on the floor, he accidentally kicked some dirt and pebbles onto everything while he was walking. that turned a 1-2 hour repair into a project and cleaning frenzy!
oh yea and try gettin ur head resurfaced too while you have it all apart, it'll give u a better seal.

thats all i got, good luck!

Last edited by padillaXA; 08-25-2010 at 10:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Please Help Scion xA Power Loss