Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

POssible Engine Swaps

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default POssible Engine Swaps

I come from the world of VW's ans Scoobies so I am naturally interested in what swaps might be possible for the XB. I don't know enough about toyota/scion to know if they use common engine mounting points and bellhousing configurations. If so, what are the toyota engines that would bolt up in the XB chassis? I'm thinking that the 1.8 from the celica or even the 2.4 from the Camry/tc would be a great swap. On a totally different end of the spectrum a turbodiesel motor would be awesome in the B as torque would be great and the package would make a lot of sense.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is plenty of discussion about this over on the Power Hungry forum.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: POssible Engine Swaps

Originally Posted by Turbosnow
I come from the world of VW's ans Scoobies so I am naturally interested in what swaps might be possible for the XB. I don't know enough about toyota/scion to know if they use common engine mounting points and bellhousing configurations. If so, what are the toyota engines that would bolt up in the XB chassis? I'm thinking that the 1.8 from the celica or even the 2.4 from the Camry/tc would be a great swap. On a totally different end of the spectrum a turbodiesel motor would be awesome in the B as torque would be great and the package would make a lot of sense.
The xB is based on the Echo/Yaris platform, outside of the 1NZ-FE we get in the U.S. you have a choice of 1.0 liter 68hp gas, 1.5 liter 150hp gas/turbo and a 1.4 liter 75hp T'diesel.

Only problem is none of those are U.S. EPA certified as far as I know so it would be illegal to swap one in.

Federal emissions laws dictate that you can put any EPA certified OBD II engine you want in there....as long as it is able to meet the emissions requirements for the orginal car.

I've given the engine swap thing a great deal of though myself. I can think of a few Toyota engines that might be a good choice but the problem is I don't know where to find the details. In other words, what engines will bolt to the existing tranny outside of the ones I listed (if any), what engines will fit in the first place and so on. We need some schematic diagrams of the potential engines to match up with a detailed cutaway of the xB.

Possible engine donors I've thought of:

Supercharged Toyota Previa (2.4 liter - 161hp / 201 lbft)
* was squeezed under the floor beneath the front seats so it must be fairly compact

RAV4 (2.4 liter - 161hp / 165lbft)
* FWD/AWD drivetrain and small engine bay might mean it could be a good fit
Old 11-18-2004, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the response, I think turbodeisel would be an awesome swapo for the Xb even the 1.4 could actually make the car accellerate better due to it's superior low end torque, the emissions things would have to be bypassed somehow.

Thes are unchaterd waters, I may have to see if I can find out some info by crawling through toyota tech litarature or, possibly crawling through junkyards. There should be some wrecked echos out there which would make good engineering dummies. The 1.5 liter turbo gas motor would also make a great swap if you could find one and somehow get it inspected.

I would hesitate to put much forced induction into the stock 1.5 as it's 10.5/1 compression ratio scares me when it comes to detonation under boost.
In addition turbosharging the car would require upping the octane requirement and definitely use much more fuel whereas a larger engine that is geared longer might net better economy and performance.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wasnt the previa motor a supercharge H4? thats how they could fit it under the seats, flat, kinda but not really wide.... might be a little to deep tho....

What about the good old Mr.2? Ive seem guys w/ +300HP turbo in those things....

I say.... Big Block in the back seat!!
Old 11-19-2004, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the response, I think turbodeisel would be an awesome swapo for the Xb even the 1.4 could actually make the car accellerate better due to it's superior low end torque, the emissions things would have to be bypassed somehow.

Thes are unchaterd waters, I may have to see if I can find out some info by crawling through toyota tech litarature or, possibly crawling through junkyards. There should be some wrecked echos out there which would make good engineering dummies. The 1.5 liter turbo gas motor would also make a great swap if you could find one and somehow get it inspected.

I would hesitate to put much forced induction into the stock 1.5 as it's 10.5/1 compression ratio scares me when it comes to detonation under boost.
In addition turbosharging the car would require upping the octane requirement and definitely use much more fuel whereas a larger engine that is geared longer might net better economy and performance.
Yep, my last car was a VW Jetta TDI, I LOVE diesels! :D

The 1.4 diesel only does 0-60 in about 11 seconds in a Yaris, so I think it would be a dog in the 400 lb heavier xB, though it IS a turbo, so it wouldn't be hard to tweak it for a bit more power.

As much as I love diesels, I have to say a frenetic, revvy little gasoline motor does really seem to suit the personality of the car well.

I'd probably not opt for the 1.4 if it were offered, because we'd be looking at a 12+ sec 0-60 probably.

Now squeeze the 2.0 liter t'diesel from the Euro Corolla in, then you'd have 114 hp and 206lbft at just 2000 rpm. THAT would move!
Old 11-19-2004, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

we need some sort of combo to produce a sub 14 second quarter mile.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

A sub 14 quarter could be easily achieved by turbocharging the 1.5, although I'm not sure how long th motor would last, you could stack headgaskets for lower compression and install larger fuel injectors and standalone engine management. I don;t know how ston the bottom ends are on these motors though so you could still blow one up. This would get you to a fast 1/4 mile. I'm not as interested in that as in a motor that is still reliable and maintains the good gas (or deisel) mileage that the XB has. The 2 liter corolla mill might do the trick nicely.

Does anyone know anything about motor mount and bellhousing configurations on the engines mentioned?
Old 11-19-2004, 08:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the engines aren't in the same engine family series, then more than likely they have different mounting points.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MotoMan_YZ400
wasnt the previa motor a supercharge H4? thats how they could fit it under the seats, flat, kinda but not really wide.... might be a little to deep tho....

Some guy did 800WHP the other day out of his MK2 MR2.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

A sub 14 quarter could be easily achieved by turbocharging the 1.5, although I'm not sure how long th motor would last, you could stack headgaskets for lower compression and install larger fuel injectors and standalone engine management. I don;t know how ston the bottom ends are on these motors though so you could still blow one up. This would get you to a fast 1/4 mile. I'm not as interested in that as in a motor that is still reliable and maintains the good gas (or deisel) mileage that the XB has. The 2 liter corolla mill might do the trick nicely.

Does anyone know anything about motor mount and bellhousing configurations on the engines mentioned?
obviously we would need something streetable and one that wont blow. i wonder. hmm. i dont care about gas too much . my old bug was way better wit gas anyways. i'm thinkin swap as the best way. i wonder what a blitz supercharger equipped xb would run in the quarter?
Old 11-19-2004, 10:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by MotoMan_YZ400

it was a supercharged v6 or a n/a v6
Old 11-19-2004, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05

obviously we would need something streetable and one that wont blow. i wonder. hmm. i dont care about gas too much . my old bug was way better wit gas anyways. i'm thinkin swap as the best way. i wonder what a blitz supercharger equipped xb would run in the quarter?
I haven't seen the blitz kit but most aftermarket kits are pretty conservatively tuned, and for good reason. To get the best 1.4 mile for the least $ a home brew turbo would probably be the way to go, A friend of mine with a similar setup to what I am bullding in my rabbit ran a 12.7 1/4 he rebuilt this year and is pushing into the 11s. The rabbit is supposed to be the fun fast car and the Xb the practical good fuel economy car. I'd love to see that 2.0 deisel as an option for a swap as it would certainly match the car.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

iT WoUlD bE SuPeR cOoL tO pUt a H22 iN a xB oR eVeN a B16 iN a xA oH MaN WhAt AbOuT a f20 iN a tC!!!

Search please. Top right hand corner.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, coming from the vw community, i'm not sure if you know of my friends car. he's on vw vortex i think. he had a 92(?) cabriolet, and he swapped in a v6 corrado engine, then turbo charged it. he had to make two custom mounts i believe. and he had to rewire the whole thing. it was actually harder than i'm making it seem. i think he even had to custom a shifter to work with the transmission. but, it's running, and been running for a bit now. and he even has the ac still in there.

anyways, the point is, if it can fit, theres a way. i think someone posted a picture on here of a vitz with a gt-s 1.8L engine swap. but, looking at it, i think that's the biggest we can go.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As far as keeping original mounting points, you would have to stay in the "Z" family of engines.

This means 1ZZ-FE or the delicious 2ZZ-FE.

If the 2ZZ would fit...wow. Imagine 180 hp in a 2340 pound xA.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

wouldnt that be wonderful. it'll happen soon. and i'd even be able to pass smog in ca.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, i looked, and all the 1.8L engines have an extra mounting point that the scions don't.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BeQuietAndDrive
As far as keeping original mounting points, you would have to stay in the "Z" family of engines.

Wrong! Just because they both have Z's at the end don't mean they're in the same family. If that were the case, the 1NZ would be in the same family as the 2JZ. The "NZ", "JZ", and "ZZ" are the family codes, not just the "Z". And it's 2ZZ-GE, not FE.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BeQuietAndDrive

:?:

where'd you get that information from?

there is no way in hell @ 2zz will "bolt in"..i believe el prototypes did a test fit once and in order to make it fit ..they would have to cut

Quick Reply: POssible Engine Swaps