Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

RS-Type short shifter mod - modded

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 11:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Re: short shifter modded

Originally Posted by DEATH666
I would also reccommend replacing the rubber bushings at the cable ends with sealed bearing units for real performance.
do you mind elaborating on how to change these out and where to get replacement bearings? thanks!
Old 06-12-2005, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. If you pop your hood you will see the linkage near the middle right upper area. (If you have the stock air box still installed you'll need to remove it. If you have like an AEM intake you'll probably need to remove some of it's parts to get too the linkage)

2. The linkage is held in place with pins similar to the one on the outer linkage of the shifter. You'll need to take those pins out.

3. Ones the pins are out, you'll need to remove the bushings by pushing them out of the linkage ends.

4. Once out, you will replace them with the bearing kit. (FYI, the bushings are two different sizes)

He found them on eBay. Hotbox05 got his off another member, but that member was sold a kit for the TC I believe. I haven't been able to find them. Let me know if you do.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member

Default shifter modded

I have attempted to find these listed on E-bay again with no luck,they were $10 shipped,however when I recieved the kit it contained two bearings of the same size, i contacted the seller and informed him of this, he was not aware but sent me another bearing to replace the one that was too small. Well that one was slightly oversize but I was able to spin it on a bench grinder to remove enough material to make it fit nice and snug.I would suspect that he is no longer listing them for the XB due to my making him aware of the two different sizes of bearings and the slight amount of work needed to make the larger one fit exactly. I am very happy with the outcome, but for the average DIYer it may be a problem and cause him to recieve negative feedback, I have an extra small bearing for any ScionLife member who wants it-free! of course this will get you only half-way there. Rear spoiler done. APR frame brace next. Gotta go!
Old 06-12-2005, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I tried to duplicate the process and found out that one of the bearings was larger. Anyways, it was starting to cost me too much( $30) for the bearings and I had to keep running back and forth to the hardware store... I gave up and returned everything.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

...thanks for the incite
Old 08-21-2005, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Hotbox05 got them from me. . . because I was too lazy to install them. I got em off ebay for $10 bucks, not expecting much except a gamble.

No, I did not order tC parts. I ordered them for the xA. . . and the guy who sent them to me confirmed that they were for the xA. . . too bad it didn't fit. Maybe the sender accidentally sent the wrong kit? I dunno. . .
Old 09-10-2005, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im trying to do this right now. Im not fully sure if I have the right tools. What does it take exactly to remove this lock bolt/washer style thing? Just a screw driver & lots of bad words?
Old 09-10-2005, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just changed my rs type shifter to the rs type with factory linkage. Seems to be a bit tighter but to be honest I dont know that I can really feel a difference. Guess I need to drive it a bit more. Now just a fwe more mods to be done before Im happy with the car. BTW this is the 7th mod to the car and I have only had her a month now. These things are addictive! :D
Old 09-11-2005, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WTF is going on. How the hell do you even manage to do this? I have been trying to get that stupid little black ring off for the past 2 days & all I have done is made my stock shifter look like trash.

Thats all I have been able to do to that little thing. Is there some special tool or way that you do this? I hope the one on the RS shifter aint this hard.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TTT. Still have not got this thing off yet. Is there some magic way I need to tickle it or something? All the force Im using, is just making me want to get a dramel & cut the hell out of it.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Having fun yet?

Seriously, you need a thin flat head screw driver and a hammer. Put the screw driver between the metal piece and the plastic. Once you get it slightly in there bend the metal . Once the metal clip is bend you can use plyers adn pull it off.

Or you can dremel the metal piece off as you have one that came with the new shifter.

PM me if you need more help. Sorry I missed the posts.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dang, I have tore up all the plastic from trying exactly what you told me to. I guess I might need a different screw driver or something.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As a killer update. This is what really needs to be done for stock fell:

The parts in green are from the RS type shifter. Replace those with the stock toyota ones. I now have about a whole .5mm total movement (so like .25mm L & .25mm Right) movement in any gear. Doing this had made this shifter all the better. Sense your replacing it & have the metal shaft out, why not take the extra 2min to pop that off. Give it a try, you will be glad you did.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so basically doing the exact opposite of your pic then? I just got my RS shifter today and the install took about 15 minutes(i know my way around a car), but the slop is annoying to say the least. So you are saying to take the "stock" version of the parts in green and put them inplace of the ones on the RStype?...Any pics of the actual piece or steps, if you provide the sequence I will take pics when I do it to add to the tech section(mod permitting of course :D)
Old 02-07-2006, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Isn't the shifter itself shorter? I haven't tried this addition, but you would think you'd need the rstype shifter as well becasue it is shorter.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chucksu
As a killer update. This is what really needs to be done for stock fell:

The parts in green are from the RS type shifter. Replace those with the stock toyota ones. I now have about a whole .5mm total movement (so like .25mm L & .25mm Right) movement in any gear. Doing this had made this shifter all the better. Sense your replacing it & have the metal shaft out, why not take the extra 2min to pop that off. Give it a try, you will be glad you did.
I think Chucksu means what Eggie originally meant with the beginning of this thread... You will still use RS-Type shifter housing... the giant green one... and you will remove the cap/cover going over the actual shifter(metal rod) and the shifter link (the triangular piece that connects to the shift linkage) and replace those two things with the one from the stock shift assembly. The picture he posted up is what you're left with... or at least thats what i think he meant
Old 02-07-2006, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't get what happened to his shifter. It looks all rusty like it was heated up or something?
Old 05-28-2006, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics

I've obtained an extra Stock unit for mod. parts. Can't decide whether to get RS type and exchange pcs. as above, or move the pivot point & cut & reweld the shaft ??
How much taller is the RS type to the pivot point and what is the overall shifter height?? Also, there are several brands out there. Which are the best??
Old 05-28-2006, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get the shift. It only costs about 50 bucks shipped and you don't have to do all that cutting and welding.

I still don't understand the above, so I can't recommend his method. I do know what I did works nicely and have been happy with it since.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member

Default RS shifter?

Is the RS Shifter the greenish grey one that is all over Ebay?

If so are they all manufactured by the same company, IE: just order the cheapest one off Ebay?

Does the shift **** location stay the same? If not what's the general concensus on the new location as far as shifting easy, particularly on xB's with an armrest installed.

Quick Reply: RS-Type short shifter mod - modded