Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

slow acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member

Default slow acceleration

I'm still breaking into my engine but I noticed lately that my car has a problem accelerating past 40 MPH, it'll take forever to go to 60 and I usually have to slam on the gas. Btw, I have an automatic tranny. Do you guys have the same problem? Or should I take it back to the dealer?
Old 11-29-2004, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member

If you've got your foot to the floor, and you're taking forever to get from 40-60, then it sounds to me like something is wrong.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks, I talked to my friends about it and they kept making fun of me. They kept saying it's suppose to be like that and the thing is, I've driven manual for so long that I don't even remember how the acceleration is for automatics.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member

With the stock crap the car is a snail when it comes to high-speed accel. When I say high-speed I mean anything from 50ish to like 80. If you "punch it" quickly and get it to drop into second it should be slightly quicker but when these things are bone stock.....2nd & 3rd take forever to accelerate.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Man. . . I can easily get up to 80mph on a freeway onramp, and it doesn't take very long to hit 100, faster than my friends stock Civic EX, faster than my 98 Corolla . . . oh wait. . . I have a 5spd
Old 11-30-2004, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have an auto and I can easily reach past 60mph with no problems. Something definitely wrong with yours
Old 11-30-2004, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It accelerates best in 1st and 2nd. After that it falls off a bit, but acceleration is still pretty linear.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's a slow car...that's what slow cars do.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The automatic has given me fits also. This transmission is computer controlled and the throttle seems to be also. In order to accelerate fast I must advance the throttle as the transmission shifts to higher gear as the RPM drops significantly. Part of the problem is that the automatic has only four gears and is set up to get into economy gearing at low speeds. If one is serious about getting to speed it is best to switch off the OD until near desired speed. Otherwise one may keep the accelerator down to maintain RPM in torque range of 3500 to 4500 until desired speed is reached. I think it is not accident that a tach is standard instrumentation.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by djct_watt
Man. . . I can easily get up to 80mph on a freeway onramp, and it doesn't take very long to hit 100, faster than my friends stock Civic EX, faster than my 98 Corolla . . . oh wait. . . I have a 5spd
Manually tranny here, and I have no problem getting up to speed on the freeway. I can't speak for the automatic transmission (all I know is I didn't like it when I drove it), but knowing the shift points and powerband on the manual makes it feel like the car is hauling ___. I may not be able to smoke a Supra at a light, but the car can hold its own all around.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i switched from a 4 cylinder 2.0 liter 118 hp mazda 626 to the stock xA. i fealt like a snail on the hwy. i honestly fealt a difference with the aem intake though. maybe its placebo effect (after reading 100 diff. places u gain at least 2 hp ) ... but yea, dont expect to win any races with the xA.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well I did see a TTE supercharger that is supposed to go into the Cincinatti regions manual RS-1

marcelino
Old 12-01-2004, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: slow acceleration

Originally Posted by MzPink
I'm still breaking into my engine but I noticed lately that my car has a problem accelerating past 40 MPH, it'll take forever to go to 60 and I usually have to slam on the gas. Btw, I have an automatic tranny. Do you guys have the same problem? Or should I take it back to the dealer?
I think that's the way it is. I feel the same way. It accelerates very slowly.

I've got an automatic, but am referencing a 5 speed 400hp TwinTurbo Z. Referencing numerous rental cars I've driven in the past, it accelerates as slow or slower than all of them.

I think it's normal.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

that's the way the auto I test drove fealt
Old 12-01-2004, 07:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah it's normal for auto.once you pass a certain rpm then it's easier to get up the speed.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, I found that when I was accelerating on each straight when I took it to the race track, it took foreeeever to go from 65mph to 80mph with the foot to the floor. I never went above 80. Feeling how slow it accelerated to 80, it feels like I'll never hit 100 in this thing. It seems like it'll take too much time, or I'll run out of road, or I'll hit traffic before I do!
Old 12-02-2004, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Test drive a 5 spd. . . I'm a fan of autos as well, but in cars with so little power, I absolutely cannot live without some kind of acceleration/passing power. Personally, I think a car needs at least 200hp, IMO, to be liveable in an automatic. The 5spds do well, and can hit 100 in a reasonable distance/time.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

heck, xA's so far are having extremely little depreciation. Hahahaha. . . but for those who are happy with auto, more power to them. . . I'm a weak person, and I hate it when I can't pass when I need to. Those who find the acceleration too slow, will notice a HUGE difference with the 5spd. Although it may not be the best tranny out there, it is easy as hell to drive. . . much easier than my bro's 911 GT3 (super long throw clutch, IMO).
Old 12-02-2004, 02:35 AM
5 Year Member

I know, the manual tranny has much better acceleration than the automatic but I'm very happy with my automatic xA. I drive 60 miles each way to work on an interstate highway. I have no problem getting up to speed when getting on the highway. Everyday, I drive at a constant speed of 70 to 80 mph. Most people drive too slow for my taste so I usually have to do some passing. I have no problem passing cars that are going 65 - 75 mph. Keep in mind that I don't drive like a racer, so, I allow myself enough time and space to pass the other car safely (not any different than what I'm used to). I even maintain 80 mph while climbing the hills along my route. So far, the automatic xA exceeds my expectations of what an economical little car can be. I guess it boils down to expectations. Choose wisely!
Old 12-02-2004, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

hahaha yeah. . . up here where I live, people cruise at 75mph. . . and it takes a lot to pass safely. Secondly. . . I am a maniac when it comes to driving. But that is my fault.

Quick Reply: slow acceleration