Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

smelly box

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 08:52 PM

Default smelly box

We have a 2006 xb, and it has developed a smell like moldy sweatsocks. I looked for the cabin filter and discovered it had none. Someone suggested that it was the a/c condenser, since the smell goes away after the fan runs awhile. How hard is it to access the condenser and how would one go about cleaning it? Thanks for the help.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your A/C Drain might be clogged. When the A/C has been running for a while, do you get a puddle of water under the passengers side of the car? If not the drain is likely clogged and the condensation is staying in the system and going stagnant.

If the drain isn't clogged (or you clear it), you can use a product like this to deodorize the cooling system. Open all the doors & the hatch and spray it in all the vents from a few angles, and let it sit for a 10min. Then spray it in the cowl vents (but the wipers) from several angles and let sit for 10 min. Finally turn the fan on high and spray in the cowl vents. First at defrost setting, then at the dash vents setting and finally at the floor vents setting.
You will probably need to clean the residue from the spray off the windshield and dash, but it should kill the smell.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here's a thread if you need to know where the drain is located.

I used to have a first model VW Jetta GLi and the drain constantly clogged. It would really spook me when vapor started pouring out of the ac vents, or on a hard right turn ac-chilled water would dump onto my accelerator foot!

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...light=ac+drain