Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Something is not right.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member

Just a thought... you might have already smoked your torque convertor. Doesn't take much. Seem like the engine was reving faster then you were taking off? Just something to think about.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Sounds like you are getting it worked out!!! Never give up!!
Old 10-07-2005, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Here is my timeslip.... this is with only ground wires, weapon r engine dampner kit, and injen short ram intake... i have yet to run with the perrin pulley and plan to run it after the strup axleback is installed, it will be here monday, and after i get the strup header
I am #95 in the left lane and that is a 02 2dr v6 accord in the right lane
Old 10-08-2005, 09:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by xBtuner
I launched at 2000 rpm, anything more and you would start smelling clutch lol.

I am at a loss for words. I really thought it would end up lower 17's upper 16's. But 18 is rediculous. Makes me think there is something up with my Supercharger.
how can you smell "clutch" ? you have an AUTO . no clutch in an auto........

i have intake , header , cat back , and have a perrin pulley on the way . i've run a 16.0 1/4 mile so ......
something is SERIOUSLY wrong

if u have all the mods i have plus a s/c .....you should be running like 15.3 or so........
Old 10-08-2005, 09:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by jdaniels
FYI, my bone stock xB 5 speed did a 16.7 with a little too much wheel spin on the launch...
from every thing i've seen bone stock 5 speeds do 17.6......... at least that's what all my freinds xb's have done...... and what all the magazines seem to get.......
Old 10-08-2005, 09:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Ok, let's see how many of these I can answer without scrolling lol.

I pulled the fuse to reset at the track and I did not realize I pulled the wrong one, so I goofed. Yesterday I reset with both EFI fuses and noticed a big increase in power. Ran consistent 8lbs with a 9-10 lbs spike. Granted, this was not on the track......

Also, I am running Bosch Platinum +4 plugs. Blitz suggested iridium plugs but could not find them in town.

I am running 17's but I just ordered Rota 15's, should shave about 15-18 lbs per wheel and reduce rotational mass of course.

Traction Control was off of course

We don't have a fuel pressure regulator on our car but I have looked at purchasing one as they are pretty cheap. I am not sure if I really need fuel rail, injectors, and fuel pump yet.

R/T did not matter, it was a test and tune night. Wasn't even sweating that!

I launched at about 1800 RPM and just had a chirp from the tires, did not light them up.

Yes, I did not remove my sub box from the car, that was probably an added 50lbs. I was thinking about stripping out the passenger seat as well for some added weight loss. Maybe next time.

I am running 91 Octane, but I am thinking of boosting that next Friday at the drags and make sure I reset my ECM.

I am running G-Force tires, 205/40/17, normal pressure

Thanks for all the response guys. Truly appreciate it.
blitz superchargers get 6psi. or 4 psi depending upon who you ask.....

none make 8psi. let alone boost spikes.........boost spikes only occur when you have mechanical problems.............

oh and running higher than 91 octane will just be a waste of your money buying what 5 or 6 or 7 dollar a gallon race fuel. you do not need that high of octane for a mild 6 psi or less setup......
Old 10-08-2005, 10:07 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

[quote="hotbox05"]

I am at a loss for words. I really thought it would end up lower 17's upper 16's. But 18 is rediculous. Makes me think there is something up with my Supercharger.

i have intake , header , cat back , and have a perrin pulley on the way . i've run a 16.0 1/4 mile so ......
something is SERIOUSLY wrong quote]
do you got a time slip for that?... I am really surprised at the time your claiming..I have SRI, axle back, denso's....and I doubt I would drop below 17.........thet header and cat back generic muffler system dropped a second off the e.t.?.I would be curious about how much of a gain the pulley gives. ..can you do a baselinbe run first?
I have never seen pulleys have a huge impact....usually good a for a few frees up ponys...used them on mustangs. eclipses, s/c'd t-birds etc...
Old 10-08-2005, 10:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

[quote="Sciond"]
Originally Posted by hotbox05

something is SERIOUSLY wrong quote]
do you got a time slip for that?... I am really surprised at the time your claiming..I have SRI, axle back, denso's....and I doubt I would drop below 17.........thet header and cat back generic muffler system dropped a second off the e.t.?.I would be curious about how much of a gain the pulley gives. ..can you do a baselinbe run first?
I have never seen pulleys have a huge impact....usually good a for a few frees up ponys...used them on mustangs. eclipses, s/c'd t-birds etc...
i havent hit the track in almost a year. lost the slip with all my previous cars slips when my dad kinda burned two drawers of my workbench/desk... (idiot) lol... but i've run 15.9 - 16.3 consistently....

the pulley drops 3 pounds from stock pulley. so that's equivelent to the car dropping 100 pounds so....... that's about 1/10th of a sec off quarter mile. since common belief is that every 100 pounds removed gives you a tenth.....

i've beat a celica gt with trd header , trd intake , trd catback , an automatic rsx with intake and cat back. neither are very spectacular kills but i ran against the celica 7 times... closest he came to winning was half a car length.. he weighs 2500 i weigh 2395... he has 140hp stock i have 108 stock......... his car has run at the track about 8 times his best time was 16.1...........

i will run my car again when the track opens up next season with the pulley , new exhaust and a new clutch.

sorry i don't have a timeslip any more....

ask killerxromances he has an auto xB with the same mods as I and has run a 16.4 1/4 mile........
Old 10-08-2005, 11:10 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

damn I would have to say I am surprised...that is better than I expected,,,
Old 10-08-2005, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

First of all on the clutch thing, Go ahead and rev to 3k or so with you brakes on and in drive, you start smelling something burning.......................

And yes my supercharger is running at 8lbs of boost, you can ask anyone that has ridden in my box, unless boost gauge is off which I doubt it. I tried to take a pic of my boost gauge reading 8 last nite but they are to blurry. And the supercharger does spike, if it isn't suppose to I don't know, but mine does and it will spike to 9-10 depending on the weather.

I may have something still wired wrong? WTF could be the deal?

Noone is giving me any good information as to why the thing is running wrong, only comments on ____ I have said!
Old 10-08-2005, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Wish I could help ya buddy but Im a lil far away from you
Old 10-08-2005, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yea, I know man......... I really think maybe either my wiring is screwed up somewhere, or maybe not getting good contact with those wire tie ins that the kit comes with. I need to find someone that has their S/C manual that has the wireing diagram cause I can't find mine at all. Anyone have this so I can quadruple check my wiring?
Old 10-09-2005, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I doubt you can smell them, but an automatic transmission has as many clutches as gears. They do not have one big clutch like a manual, they have a torque converter, but the clutches *in packs* within the transmission are what hold your power and transfer it through the transmission.

It is very possible to blow and burn up a clutch in an automatic transmission.

If you smell the tranny fluid out of an auto that HAS burnt up a clutch, you can very much smell it.

.... continue on.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I was just thinking of something.

Is it possible that my Bosch Platinum +4 plugs are my issue? They may not be hot enough......... Would Irridium plugs be the cure? I know that the Blitz manual suggests irridium plugs but I did not know which ones to run in the xB and nor did autozone or Oreily's. Opinions?
Old 10-09-2005, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Is it possible that my Bosch Platinum +4 plugs are my issue? They may not be hot enough......... Would Irridium plugs be the cure? I know that the Blitz manual suggests irridium plugs but I did not know which ones to run in the xB and nor did autozone or Oreily's. Opinions?
I run the Denso IK16 get them Autozone....they cant hurt...and engine runs smoother since I put them in
Old 10-09-2005, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Ok, so Denso IK16............. are these the ones I should run with the supercharger setup?

I know denso makes several different plugs that range in heat.............

I just know these Bosch Platinum +4's have to be the problem.......... I hope!
Old 10-09-2005, 06:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i never did a stock run. i was just repeating what i have read and seen listed by magazines and car reviewers... they may have used auto's i don't know.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

First of all on the clutch thing, Go ahead and rev to 3k or so with you brakes on and in drive, you start smelling something burning.......................

And yes my supercharger is running at 8lbs of boost, you can ask anyone that has ridden in my box, unless boost gauge is off which I doubt it. I tried to take a pic of my boost gauge reading 8 last nite but they are to blurry. And the supercharger does spike, if it isn't suppose to I don't know, but mine does and it will spike to 9-10 depending on the weather.

I may have something still wired wrong? WTF could be the deal?

Noone is giving me any good information as to why the thing is running wrong, only comments on poop I have said!
you are not hitting 8psi unless you have a custom made pulley. . sorry i can't help you more. have you taken it to a performance shop? they'd at least be able to tell you what is wrong.... does your tranny slip alot? if it did you'd know.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

bosch plat 4's are pretty bad. i've seen five sets between my cars and my buddie's cars go bad. the insulator would become loose from the threaded body..... very odd.

try some ngk irid's or denso's
Old 10-09-2005, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

What I am trying to find out is............. is the Denso IK16 Irridium plug the one I need running boosted?

Because Autozone could not cross reference ANY irridium plugs for my xB. is the IK16 just the size and thread of the plug or the gapping and heat of the plug?

Quick Reply: Something is not right.....