Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Something is not right.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 02:32 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you ever drag raced before? If not your not that doing that bad. You are might have to do more than two passes to figure out the best way to get YOUR car down the track. Best advice I can give is watch the other drivers and learn, abd get more seat time. Your not driveing a rocket so keep that in mind too.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by xBtuner
What I am trying to find out is............. is the Denso IK16 Irridium plug the one I need running boosted?

Because Autozone could not cross reference ANY irridium plugs for my xB. is the IK16 just the size and thread of the plug or the gapping and heat of the plug?
Autozone stock # 5309 those are the correct ones...that is how I found them..I hope this helps
Old 10-09-2005, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by bblhed
Have you ever drag raced before? If not your not that doing that bad. You are might have to do more than two passes to figure out the best way to get YOUR car down the track. Best advice I can give is watch the other drivers and learn, abd get more seat time. Your not driveing a rocket so keep that in mind too.
exactly...that is why those low 16 numbers people state with minor mods on these boxes shocks me....i have been racing for 20yrs cars that ran as fas as 11.0 1/4's.........
Old 10-09-2005, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

thanks!
Old 10-09-2005, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They may not be hot enough......... Would Irridium plugs be the cure? I know that the Blitz manual suggests irridium plugs but I did not know which ones to run in the xB and nor did autozone or Oreily's. Opinions?
YOU DO NOT WANT A HOTTER PLUG WITH FORCED INDUCTION. A hotter plug will run hotter in the cylinder and be a VERY good source for predetonation, thus the computer will pull even more timing and totally negate the power you would gain from the blower.

A more expensive platinum double gold diamond forged titanium plug does not = better.

TRY ME, go to autozone, find out what heat range our stock plugs are, and pick up a set of AUTOLITE Copper plugs (they are no more than $1.00 a piece) that are 2 heat ranges COLDER and gap them a smidge smaller than stock. Put them in and report back.

My theory is A.) You cannot control the ECU, so find ways to stop it from taking power and B.) If the plugs I suggest do not work, Let me know and I will paypal you the money you spent on them.

-adam[/b]
Old 10-09-2005, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Ok Boogie, I will try your method, as it is the cheaper method! I am going to Autozone right now.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

How can you pass that up Brandon?
Old 10-09-2005, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

will it be neccessary to gap the plugs tighter? I dont have a feeler gauge so I will need to pick one up.

I am on my way to autozone now, I'll be back with a report!
Old 10-09-2005, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

hope it works....
Old 10-09-2005, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

gap them to .25 like I tried tellin you yesterday but you were gone by the time I got back to you hahah.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well, went to autozone and they were acting stupid and couldn't figure it out. Went to Oreilly's and they dont have a copper plug that is 2 heat ranges colder in stock. They will have them tomorrow for me though. We will see what difference this makes in the next few days or so when I get them in.

So in conclussion we are going with an Autolite Copper Plug gapped at .250mm correct?

Thanks for all the help!
Old 10-09-2005, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah you can get a feeler gauge or even just use the little round coin deal they have there for 99cents to gap it.. it wont' be as 'exact' but it will be close. What is the stock gap????

If they don't help in any way shape or form, seriously let me know and I'll eat my words and paypal you what you spent on them.

My thoughts are with your blower being smaller having it produce boost is going to be a bit more heat. Not sure what kind of RPM you have the blower running at though. In any case, it's only going to make a lot more heat, thus the incoming air is going to be hotter. You want to find any way you can to stop the motor from predetonating the combustion. I've never had a problem with a closer gapped copper autolite plug when it comes to forced induction on my 13.4 second Bonneville and my 12.9 second Grand Prix. Both run in the 13psi range on autolite 103's (3 ranges colder than stock). 98% of the blown Grand Prix's in the 3800 community run copper autolites.

It's possible that the 3800 just happens to love them but the same principal should apply here. Colder plug takes away a hotspot to reduce detonation and keep as much timing advance available as possible.

BTW, what octane do you run? Just curious.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BTW, the gap would be read as .025.... not .25, that would be huge.

.025 is pretty small, what is the stock gap?
Old 10-09-2005, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Stock I think is at .044
Old 10-09-2005, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would start at .035, .025 seems a smidge too tight to me.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Thats what I meant and didnt feel like editing the post to change it...he knows that I really meant .025 cause I told him the day before to gap it at but the stock gap is between .035-.04
Old 10-09-2005, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That kind of gap on this compression at that boost level should be fine. I say start at the .035 mark and give it a few runs.. if still not totally satisfied close it down to .030, and .025.

It's going to take some trouble shooting for sure, but you should see a benefit from the autolites right off the bat I bet.. and specially after the motor warms up.

Curious to see the results. They have done wonders in my cars.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So upon looking at the intake manifold they give you with that kit it looks like that might be the ACTUAL cause of your problems. Doesn't seem like the best design for even airflow distribution, looks like the far cylinder's on each end would get a far different intake charge. Even though all the boost builds in that intake, different ammounts of air can make it into diff cylinders.

Just a thought...
Old 10-10-2005, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have spoke with Blitz and I am actually the first person to bring up any problem about the supercharger with them. They say that their xB runs just fine and has never had any problems.........................
Old 10-10-2005, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do they have any dyno sheets or time slips? Any indication of just what it is doing to their car?

Also, if you were selling a product and it didn't work very well but you were trying to make money on it, would you tell people that your test vehicles don't work that great either?

I hope that the plugs fix it!!!! Just food for thought is all

Quick Reply: Something is not right.....