Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Strup v2.0 Axleback Installed Today... My thoughts so far.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 01:19 AM

Default Strup v2.0 Axleback Installed Today... My thoughts so far.

So I ordered my Strup Axleback from PartShippers on Monday. As far as that process, it was quick and easy, and Lip hooked me up with the discount code for ScionLife members. The exhaust was promptly shipped out, and arrived here on Thursday. Pretty fast shipping if you ask me, not bad for free (However, Strup is in SoCal, and I am in NorCal, so that might have helped out a bit).

It should be noted that the Strup Exhaust replaced my TRD Exhaust. I didn't like the TRD sound, nor how it drove. It just didn't feel right to me.

I opened up the box this morning, and there it was, a thing of beauty staring up at me. The welds were fantastic, and the overall craftsmanship amazed me. To make a long story short, this exhaust is HOT.

After jacking up the rear of the car and placing it on stands, I proceeded to tango with the hangers on the stock exhaust. I have been spraying them daily since Monday with a silicone lubricant I also use for my dirtbike. After some fun with a flathead screwdriver and more silicone lube, i finally got the MF'er off. I then proceeded to clean the hangers with industrial degreaser (rubber safe of course), as well as the filthy heat shield. I made sure that my new baby's home was as squeaky clean as possible.

Then, came the fun part. Installing the Strup axleback was a walk in the park. Seriously, two hangers, a clamp and a bolt? Can't beat it. I know many had an issue with the exhaust lining up, but I had no issue at all. It is dead center in the cutout, bolted up that way perfectly. After checking for leaks (duh!) I lowered my box back to the ground and stared enviously at the 4" stainless steel tip o' death staring back at me. Naturally, I had to drive it.

Right away, I was thoroughly impressed with the sound. At idle, the exhaust note is so low, I thought my car was still off, except for the slightest perceptible hum resonating my eardrum. As I got on it down the street, the car felt much freer in its rev's, and the butt dyno and my right foot tell me there was a little something picked up there. The exhaust note is just what I was looking for. Us Catholics/Christians always talk about the Antichrist... Well, it is safe to say that this Strup axleback is the AntiRICE. My dad, and even my 50+ year old neighbor were impressed by the sound as well. Coming from my father, who has a hard time liking any exhaust other than Flowmasters on Chevy trucks and/or muscle cars, those of Renault F1 cars, and of course your Lambos/Ferraris/high end Porsches (expensive taste?), I would say that is an accomplishment. The performance gains, however slight, are there and noticeable.

I later took it out on I-80, to see how it did at speed, and I was impressed yet again. Freeway merging and passing seemed slightly easier due to the increased responsiveness of the engine, and downshifting for more "GO" also felt better. I'm not claiming any miracles, but for what it is, this is impressive.

I would highly recommend this product to anyone looking to purchase. The quality from Strup is superb. Also, buy from PartShippers, you will not be disappointed with your experience.

Pics to come tonight or tomorrow.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

glad you liked it....i agree 100% with everything you said...was very similar to my experience..it is a great product..

jake
Old 04-09-2007, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

now you need to get the strup headers
Old 04-09-2007, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

i have had this on for about 10k now..its gets really loud as it break in...really loud...you cant hold a steady 60mph, the drown is crazy. and after a winter the tip is rusted up pretty bad. i tried to polish it quickly but doesnt appear to clean up very well...i love the look, and the sound is fine with the radio turned up.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:44 AM

Luckily, I live in Sunny California. Our winter is about 2 weeks of rain ;]

Headers and a real intake are next on my list. The TRD Drop In isn't cutting it as far as what I want.

I pretty much was given all of my TRD stuff when I bought the car, because my dad works at a Chevy/Toyota Dealership. Its OK, but I could always go for more.

I'm thinking Fujita SRI (cant do YDR, CARB in CA is ___) and Strup headers will be a good match.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

^ The Fujita SRI is really nice... go for it.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i'm going to get the strup too. i want the antirice.