Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...
View Poll Results: Should stylis build us a header?
yes, I'll buy one (this is a binding contract)
55.88%
leave him alone
44.12%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

STYLIS, we're calling you out.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default STYLIS, we're calling you out.

Here's the thing. There's all these headers that don't do JACK cause they need to hook up with the stock exhaust. You make a very nice header back system. A few of us guys got together on scionlife chat and decided that you should make a TUNED header long enough to make some real gains and mate that to a system that ends up being head back. No more axle back, no more header back.. We (ok, just I) want a Stylis exhaust. We (I) know it’s hard.. but come-on, it’ll be fun! I might even buy one even. Even.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That would be great. Make it cheap though. Unless its like $50 more then a DC but puts out at least 2 more hp then the DC I would be down for that. Be nice if a header that was tuned right could give us a nice 5-8whp :twisted: is this a dream or could it happen?
Old 09-14-2004, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

I'd buy one. Mainly cause I love my axle back soo much.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah Gabe!

With the extra money, you can get your own navi system... j/k hahaha :D
BTW, my wife likes the springs. Mucho thanks on that man. I should be getting the intake soon and I'll let you know 'bout installing a header.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The header would not be hard to design and fab but I would bet it would cost WAY more than the DC header but it would WAY more gain.... if a complete matching high flow cat and exhaust was included.

Parts alone would cost WAY more than the DC header:

4-2-1 header:
1 ea. Lazer cut flange $35 ea.
2 ea. 1.5" to 1 5/8" merged collectors $50 ea. ($100)
1ea. 1 5/8" to 1 3/4" merged collector $50 ea.
1ea. 1 3/4 to 2.5" transition (venturi) $25
6ea. 1.5" mandrel bends $10 ea. ($60)
3ea. 1 5/8" mandrel bends $11 ea ($33)
Misc. supplies like welding gas/wire/tabs/bolts/collector flanges/O2 bungs etc. $35

So that's $576 for just parts, throw in at least 10 hours labor at shop rate....

4-1 header, not quite as much gain and harder to fab and install but considerably less $$:
1ea. lazer cut flange $35
1ea. 1.5"-1 3/4" merged collector $100
1ea. 1 3/4"- 2.5" transition (venturi) $25
9ea. 1.5" mandrel bends $10 ($90)
Misc. supplies as listed above $35

Total: $285 for just parts
labor 10 -12 hours.... depending on the Karma that day!

With labor included the cost is HUGE..... and that's without ceramic coating. With a large production run from a supplier in China it would be brought down some but nowhere near the price of a DC header.

Any takers now??? Not trying to discourage anyone, just laying out the costs, most people don't realize why truely good headers cost a small fortune but they make the best power... Truely good headers are the BEST bang for your performance dollar!!

ken
Old 09-14-2004, 04:42 AM

I am sorry to say that I am not in the header market guys. :D I leave that type of designing to the header guru's!! I can't reinvent the wheel, but I can add to it. Since there are already binding contracts, I will take them and sell you guys axle backs instead. Possibly a set of springs?

www.precisionmuffler.com <<<----Scion Central !!!

Old 09-14-2004, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I call buzz kill!

but, with 10 people and a jig..
Old 09-14-2004, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So then the 84,000Yen TRD header is a great buy?

Cost is not always a good sign of power gains. For the most part a 4-2-1 header would be better for every day driving while the 4-1 would be good for drage racers. Now $500 or so for a header is up there in cost. I would have to see the numbers compared to a DC. If it only gave 100% more power then the DC for more then 100% the cost then it aint with it IMO. Need to keep the cost per HP at a good rate or it just becomes to costly for little horsepower. Yes I do understand this is a little engine & we aint going to get 1 hp for every $30, it would be nice to get 1hp for $50-$80 each. A s/c gives you about 1 hp for $90 or so.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the "buzz kill" post was for Ken, but you posted as I typo'd. I guess that's a bubble buster though. FINE. I'll get the megan. But I 'm NOT happy about it.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

damnit I can't even keep up with the posters!! That TRD looks semi tuned, but not long enough.. easy enough to rip it off though.. RIP IT OFF.. Oh,

Stylis.. I get your meaning.. you have a no competition clause cause you sell headers?
Old 09-14-2004, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by superjeer
the "buzz kill" post was for Ken, but you posted as I typo'd. I guess that's a bubble buster though. FINE. I'll get the megan. But I 'm NOT happy about it.
I remember that show,"Buzz Kill"

Old 09-14-2004, 04:56 AM

damnit I can't even keep up with the posters!! That TRD looks semi tuned, but not long enough.. easy enough to rip it off though.. RIP IT OFF.. Oh,

Stylis.. I get your meaning.. you have a no competition clause cause you sell headers?
I really don't have any clauses, just that I don't try to upstage companies. Unless I know that I can take the market.

Old 09-14-2004, 07:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Stylis

I really don't have any clauses, just that I don't try to upstage companies. Unless I know that I can take the market.
um HELLOOO!!! you have the scion market in your hands....<singing> gabe's got the whooole world in his hands gabe's got the whoooolle world in his hands </singing> okay slightly disturbing but still

i think you could easily pull it off and people would worship you for it.....think complete exhaust system for $$$ and your name on every performance tuned sky-on there is.....food for thought

Jeff
Old 09-14-2004, 07:09 AM

OK, I don't have the exhaust market cornered yet. Just have a small portion, but hey I wish I had the technology to make a header, but sad to say I am not in that market so I can't make one. If it was up to me, the stylis header would have been made months ago! :D

Old 09-14-2004, 08:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default .......

do it, do it........ill buy :D
Old 10-06-2004, 09:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Stylis!! Make a HEADER for the TC, I'd Def. buy from U again!!! Comon man..Were dyin out here
Old 10-07-2004, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by ScionTCTrav
Stylis!! Make a HEADER for the TC, I'd Def. buy from U again!!! Comon man..Were dyin out here
Dude your nutz!! For the tC is WAY out of the question!! Sorry to say that I am not equiped for headers, although I do have A great special going on! Visit www.precisionmuffler.com to check it out! :D

Old 10-07-2004, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

does anyone here honestly know what a tuned header is???

First off you want the tubes to be of equal length, and to have the same number of bends or similiar pressure loss (ie the difference in pressure from one end of the header to the other is the same across the cylinder). The equal length ensures that when one puff of exhuast is leaving its individual tube it doesnt encounter another puff at the tube junction(s) as this cuases back pressure.

the second issue is how it is tuned. A tuned header will only provide a small gain, and even then only at the rpm it is tuned for. The idea here is that when cylinder one fires, the puff of exhuast is almost at the end of its tube, ideally creating a small vacuum behind it (engine side). This cuases the next puff to get pulled from the engine, so in theory the header would have negative back pressure, or no back pressure, which inhibits performance.

third you want it ceramic. Keep the heat where it is supposed to be and you get better performance.

The problem is, with an engine that is so small, percentage gains equal only menial hp increases, the small engine is the weakness.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

lol...

Each time Gabe replies, is a Shamless plug...lol

"No, sorry yo u guys...blah, blah.........BUT HEY, we have a special right now!"

LOL, that is funny ____ Gabe!

More power to ya!

Hell, I wish I had my own business...lol

Maybe in GA, I might open up a shop of my own as the years pass!
lol

-Tylor

btw, I'll miss ya Gabe.. But don't think I won't come by and stalk you when I come to visit CA every now and then...lol

and another thing Gabe, I won't be able to buy the springs and get them installed before I leave for GA... What I'll end up doing is when I get all settled in GA like Nov. 15th-ish, I'll cut u a Money Order and you can just ground ship them to me.. And I can put them in I guess..

Thanks again man! and don't forget, u can call my cell too!
Old 10-07-2004, 06:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

depends on price

Quick Reply: STYLIS, we're calling you out.