Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

swap for tC engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HyperZ
Stupid trolls...
Glad to see you added so much to this topic. We couldn't make it without you
Old 06-20-2005, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by eggie
His question may seem to you to be ridiculous. Many ideas sounded ridiculous in the past. May voices of reason spoke, but they still kept going and created something awesome and original, that the voice of reason was left speechless.

Wright brothers is a simple example.

This subject has been discussed over and over again, try the search feature. It might help answer your questions faster.

Lastly, if you have deep pockets anything is possible. Do a Google for the Lexus IS300 project completed by Chip Foose. They put a nice V8 in that little car.
Oh yeah, great analogy. The wright brothers were not trying to take an encobox airplane and make it into a F-18 fighter jet. They were exploring an unknown frontier, flight.
What do you hope to uncover by spending a fortune turning an econo-box into a fast car? Something it is not designed to be.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dollar5
dude if your lookin for speed and power you are starting out with the wrong car, i dont know about anyone else, but i got my box because its pratical, not to mention its killer style, i can understand a few mods for a lil extra power, but a tx engine swap? why? if you want to be strapped to a tc engine go an buy one,... why would you spend another 15 grand on top of what you paid for the car? just take the 30 gs and buy something that will satify your craving for power and speed...
Thats right.. this way you will get something balanced and designed to be fast.
Well said.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

damn you people are harsh... I agree with the corolla plan and the 1.8 liter engine would be a lot easier than the 2.4liter. This would take a lot of custom work and $$ but im sure it can be done with sufficient funds and people capable of doing this kind of work. Maybe you will be a pioneer and start a trend.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by McBain
Oh yeah, great analogy. The wright brothers were not trying to take an encobox airplane and make it into a F-18 fighter jet. They were exploring an unknown frontier, flight.
What do you hope to uncover by spending a fortune turning an econo-box into a fast car? Something it is not designed to be.
It isn't what can be discovered, it is what hasn't been done. Ok, better analogy: Why did people put V8's into Pintos. Why did AMC put a 302 in the Gremlin. Why did Lexus put a V8 in the IS300.

Because it was possible and unknown...

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't spend the money to put a bigger, faster motor in the box either. BUT if I did have the money t, I'd do it just to do it and make it one hell of a sleeper.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the only swap you would be able to do fairly easy would be the 1.3L starlet motor, they stopped production of these things in 1998 and they pack a huge turbo
Old 06-20-2005, 03:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

dued swap me im packing a mean Turbo
ahah sorry if im not producing any usefull info just boosting my post count....
now i feel ashamed ...
Old 06-20-2005, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i say let the man alone. if he wants to jump into re-skinning a tC let him. I'd say he loves his car, but just wants a little more power here and there. let him do it. don't burst his bubble and tell him it's ridiculous. it's not. some people like to tinker and some people like to learn by doing. whichever he is, don't squash his aspirations. it may not seem sensible to change motors, but when is the last time we walked around in his shoes. i'm sure he has his reasons. plus if you know the right people it wouldn't cost all that much. probably 5g's and he could get it in there. too many cynics and pessimists out there. if you can't offer up sound advice or solid information(include links) as to why this is a bad idea, then i say shut your trap. just because you don't think it's possible means you couldn't do it. he thinks he can. leave him alone.

end of rant.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

I think everyone jumps on these new threads about swaps because of the frequency of them and the lack of thought put into them. every day its another "yo can I put a ****** in my scion?!?!" when you know half the time its some 16 yr old whos parents bought him the car who watches monter garage too much (love the show)

I saw that "is 430" by millen i think? and foose. kick ___ fab but that swap upset teh cars balance real real bad and with the electronic throttle set up for an auto and a supra tranny in there, launching was a _____. people with money can swap anything but making it streetable is a different story. We forget we have yet to see a BUILT 1nzfe in an xb, dont bail out yet!

P.S. I also have a bit of a hard time fitting in a mini and im 6 feet, albeit a bit wide....you should see me in an mr2, quite comical lol
Old 06-20-2005, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I saw an issue of hotrod mag awhile back...they put a blown 502 in a Ford Festiva...ANYTHING is possible...granted, dude sat in the back seat....I didn't read the last posts in this thread...but maybe this is still relevant! lol
Old 06-20-2005, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the corolla engine is a better way to go IMO. as for thepeople hating on the guy cuse he wants to do some "Crazy" swap let him. it might suprise us yet.

how many threads said that their have been xB motorswaps and no pics or anything yet. hmmmmmmmm

anyways the corolla/MR2 motor is easier to tune than the celica motor
Old 06-20-2005, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by eggie
His question may seem to you to be ridiculous. Many ideas sounded ridiculous in the past. May voices of reason spoke, but they still kept going and created something awesome and original, that the voice of reason was left speechless.

Wright brothers is a simple example.

This subject has been discussed over and over again, try the search feature. It might help answer your questions faster.

Lastly, if you have deep pockets anything is possible. Do a Google for the Lexus IS300 project completed by Chip Foose. They put a nice V8 in that little car.
McBain, are you really that uneducated on the whole evolution of the sport compact market? What do you think a Civic is? It's an "econo-box" that guys turned into fast cars which is exactly what the original poster is thinking about doing.

It might sound wierd to you, but a lot of people though it was wierd when Ed Bergenholtz put a wheelie bar on his CRX and became the first import to run in the nines. A lot of people thought it was wierd when Stephan Papadakis and Shaun Carlson got together and built a full tube chassis for a Honda. Now they are all pioneers and icons.

People that are "power hungry" as the section of the forum suggests will come up with all sorts of crazy ideas to go faster. Most won't follow through, but eventually one or two will. Maybe there are other suitible sections of SL for you where you can hang out and discuss which body kits look cool or where to find the cheapest wheels. Horsepower seekers have always thought outside the box.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SirScion
I have had dreams about puting a mini cooper engine in it, but then I thought, why didn't I just buy the Mini, and then i remembered, I dont FIT in one... but yeah, tC engine in an xB might be fun... I will go see if any tC's wanna trade.
i saw a real old shcool mini with a type-r motor in it in a magazine once

funny ____... totally rebuilt to stock outside... and packing some major HP under the hood
Old 06-20-2005, 06:07 AM
Banned

i like shoes
Old 06-20-2005, 07:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by ChiTowntC
I have had dreams about puting a mini cooper engine in it, but then I thought, why didn't I just buy the Mini, and then i remembered, I dont FIT in one... but yeah, tC engine in an xB might be fun... I will go see if any tC's wanna trade.
i saw a real old shcool mini with a type-r motor in it in a magazine once

funny poopie... totally rebuilt to stock outside... and packing some major HP under the hood
that is a very common swap , as well as the turbo hayabusa rwd swap.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I just saw an old Ford Pinto yesterday tubbed out w/ chevy 350 small block. Thing was nasty and the best thing is nobody woulda expected it. Nice tight motor w/ a disgustingly hairy cam in it. The guy had to chop up the whole body and set the motor back pretty much under the dashboard for it to fit but the thing was sick
Old 06-20-2005, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HyperZ
Stupid trolls...
Glad to see you added so much to this topic. We couldn't make it without you
Yeah, I put about as much into the topic as you have as far as giving the original poster what answers he's looking for. He asked if it was possible... nowhere in his post did he mention he gave a rat's behind about what you thought of his idea.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:29 PM
Banned
KAD
Scikotics
SL Member

You can't fit in a mini? Those cars have lots of room. I'm 6'4 and was amazed how much head and leg room there was.... just surprised to hear you can't fit.
I am four inches taller than you, and it is all in the body, so my head hits the ceiling.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:21 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

[rant]I personally Don't mind the engine swap posts, What I think is really funny is you get the people who say stupid crap like "If you wanted a performance motor you should have bought a performance car", to these people I say "Perhaps he wants performance car performance with the Style of his xA/xB".
I dont see you telling people in I.C.E. who want to change H.U.'s "If you wanted a kicking stereo then you should have bought a car that had one stock", basically if you dont have anything helpful to add to the post bite your tongue and leave them be.
[/rant]
back to the main topic.
2AZ in the xB/xA? I don't think it would fit very easily, but you never really know until you try to fit it in there do you? I have a friend whose dad races on dirt track, been a mechanic for longer than most people on this board have been alaive and he once told me "Ifin youse got the money and a good weldin an cuttin torch, youse can make anythan fit"

Personally I'd like to see someone drop a 3S-GTE into a tC, I know it will fit, it just wont bolt right in.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:44 AM
5 Year Member

lets just use the Tc head and put it on the xA/Xb bottom end and u have a frank motor. ahaha sorry thinking to much honda engines. Lsvtecs ahaha. well i think engine swap are fun just time comsuming. doing a couple already and it sucks without the right tools. i dont think anything would work since this is a first generation engine that hasnt any better engine in this series. couldnt they make like a 130hp 1nz-fe? then the engine would be popular

Quick Reply: swap for tC engine