Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Tanabe SM Hyper Exhaust, can I do a Self Install or??

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BoxinBuzz
Use a silicone type lube. Be sure not to use wd-40 it will erode the hanagers over time. Also make sure you only turn the nut on the side of the clamp that is not tack welded. It's very common to break those tack welds. Once you do that you'll be going to the hardware store for a lock washer and nut.
Thanks, that was the only thing I actually specifically remember and looked at 1st. Gonna take this part off 1st actually I think.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by INFINI
Use a silicone type lube. Be sure not to use wd-40 it will erode the hanagers over time. Also make sure you only turn the nut on the side of the clamp that is not tack welded. It's very common to break those tack welds. Once you do that you'll be going to the hardware store for a lock washer and nut.
Thanks, that was the only thing I actually specifically remember and looked at 1st. Gonna take this part off 1st actually I think.
It's one of those things that you struggle with until you get the first one off. Then it's "Oh, I get how to do this now." :D
Old 12-28-2006, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am thinking that most of the self installs I do will be similar like that. Good thing is I can be helpful to some one else.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Once you learn the key is to share the info so the next group to get into cars will keep the aftermarket growing nice and strong.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by BOXMAN
Once you learn the key is to share the info so the next group to get into cars will keep the aftermarket growing nice and strong.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cherryBox
Originally Posted by BOXMAN

Did we agree on something Cherry?
Old 12-30-2006, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Epitrochoid
Originally Posted by INFINI
It's one of those things that you struggle with until you get the first one off. Then it's "Oh, I get how to do this now." :D
was getting those damn things out!! but with a sigh of relief I finally did it!!

Some pics?? I am a photographer so I might as well . It's really different than the stock muffler design wise and I was happy with a slight increase of HP (slight) along with my Injen CAI. NOTE: I noticed a slight smell now that I did not have before after driving around the block. I hope that's normal.

Now I need to get my M2 Racing headers and my Killer Glass installed. Doubt I will do them myself.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Infini... Have you taken a really good look inside your MMW header? I am pretty happy with the one I got my wife, except for where the 4 primary tubes join to make the two secondary tubes. Where the secondary tubes meet looks great. They spent some time grinding down all of the welds and making it smooth.

But at the first transitions (4-2) it really looks like crap. You can see where the tubes didn't have perfect fitment. You can actually see the end of one of the primary tubes protruding about 1/16" - 1/10" into the header as well as slag from the welds inside the tubes.

I can't even say how tempted I am to grind them down myself. But I am curious to know if you are seeing a similar condition on yours? If you don't, I might just contact MMW and see if they will ship out a replacement.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good job,
The smell is normal, it should go away after about a week. If you are smelling it after two weeks you might have an exaust leak and should check your gaskets. I dought that's the problem though.
Nice pics.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RTon20s
Hey Infini... Have you taken a really good look inside your MMW header? I am pretty happy with the one I got my wife, except for where the 4 primary tubes join to make the two secondary tubes. Where the secondary tubes meet looks great. They spent some time grinding down all of the welds and making it smooth.

But at the first transitions (4-2) it really looks like crap. You can see where the tubes didn't have perfect fitment. You can actually see the end of one of the primary tubes protruding about 1/16" - 1/10" into the header as well as slag from the welds inside the tubes.

I can't even say how tempted I am to grind them down myself. But I am curious to know if you are seeing a similar condition on yours? If you don't, I might just contact MMW and see if they will ship out a replacement.
I have it in the trunk of my xA right now. I will make a point of looking at it in the morning and I will let you know. I do not think I will spend much time looking at it when installed so I do not care much if it looks bad, just that it does it's job well

I mean it's positioned on the bottom back part of the engine so it's not like I will be able to see it very well.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have absolutely no concern for aeshtetics either. I am talking about the inside of the header. It doesn't matter if the tubing looks smooth on the outside. What matters is the exhaust path on the inside. I see enough slag and poorly fit pipes on the one that I got to be concerned.

When you take a look inside, look past the final junction of the 2-1 merge. Look to the 4-2 merge. deeper inside the header. It helps to have plenty of ambient light to help light the inside. If it looks anything like mine you'll see a dramatic difference between the final merge and those intermediate merges.

I forgot to mention, nice pictures by the way. You can tell that you have some experience behind the camera. Though, the focal point of that last shot seems to be a pretty odd spot.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RTon20s
I have absolutely no concern for aeshtetics either. I am talking about the inside of the header. It doesn't matter if the tubing looks smooth on the outside. What matters is the exhaust path on the inside. I see enough slag and poorly fit pipes on the one that I got to be concerned.

When you take a look inside, look past the final junction of the 2-1 merge. Look to the 4-2 merge. deeper inside the header. It helps to have plenty of ambient light to help light the inside. If it looks anything like mine you'll see a dramatic difference between the final merge and those intermediate merges.

I forgot to mention, nice pictures by the way. You can tell that you have some experience behind the camera. Though, the focal point of that last shot seems to be a pretty odd spot.
ok, I understand now what you mean. I will check it out. I can also see that if it's bad that smoothing it out should also improve the airflow in there.

Thanks for the photo comments and you are quite right it was actually a shot I took without looking I just had enough of being under the car and was too lazy to keep shooting

I hope to start making money some time soon taking pics of Mods and Modded Cars etc. One pic at a time.

James