Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Is there a VVT-i controller like the Vtech Controller?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 02:14 AM
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

Default Is there a VVT-i controller like the Vtech Controller?

Does anyone know if there is a VVT-i contoller? Jackson Racing has a product called a Vtech contorller that lets you dial in when the Vtech kicks in. Instead of opening everything up at about 6000 in a Vtech engine the Vtech contorller let you dial in at what RPM you what the Vtech to kick in. This essentially brings on the HP and Torque sooner. It does not give you the same effect of a full blowen turbo, but somewhat of a poorman's version. With exhaust and an intake, i am sure it makes a world of a difference.

Just wondering!
Old 11-22-2003, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'm not 100% on this, but it's been explained to me that unlike V-TEC which "kicks in" at certain RPM's, VVT-i is controlled continuously. It doesn't "kick in," but rather is constant throughout the power band.

If anyone knows anything about this, please send it!
Old 11-22-2003, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I believe, the VVT-i is a total different set up than the Vtec. The Vtec is activiated by a solenoid which locks the rocker arms together so it will only ride on the cam lobe that has the higher profile. But the VVT-i only advances and retards the timing. It doesnt have the kick like the Vtec.
Old 11-22-2003, 07:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there is not vvt-i controller since that power is already provided throughout the power band.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

All the above posts are true
VVT-i does not kick in at certain RPM, it gain with the RPM
Old 11-22-2003, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i guess if it was to kick in, then it would be 1rpm
Old 11-22-2003, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Like others have said...VVTi is continuous, with no certain powerband point that it "kicks" in at. V-Tec has a certain RPM that it comes through at, so you can get one of many VTec controllers, such as the Apexi V-Afc, etc.

Also, VTech makes phones.
Old 11-22-2003, 05:02 PM

I forgot what the " I " meant. I know the others are V ariable V alve T iming. But I forgot what the I stood for.

Old 11-22-2003, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Variable Valve Timing with Intelligence. I'm not sure how intelligent it is though....That knightrider car was a hell of a lot smarter than my xB!
Old 11-22-2003, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The way that the VVT-i handles the timing is something that should be looked into, but is there a way to reverse engineer it from the ECU?

Or at least understand how it modifies timing, because from what I've been told it is a matter that it only effects at startup and low RPM in order to reduce emissions and modify low end power...

if that's the case then it wouldn't be much of a worry for doing performance mods, but if it does do quite a bit throughout the power band then how do you tune to that without know just what it is doing? I realize VTech modifies lift and timing, and our VVT-i is just timing, but still something to consider...
Old 11-29-2003, 06:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

does anyone know where i would be able to purchase a controller?
Old 11-29-2003, 06:04 AM
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

If it is for a V-Tec engine, Jackson Racing has one.
Old 11-29-2003, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by supaguy
does anyone know where i would be able to purchase a controller?
if it is for a honda/acura then there a lot of companies that make one. if you are looking for one for toyota then you are out of luck there as it is not required.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:48 AM
ayS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay i have seen "vvt-i" and i have also seen some cars in the toyota lineup with "vvtl-i" now...is that simliar to vtec since it's variable valve timing lift electronic control intelligence? or are vvt-i and vvtl-i one in the same thing? correct me if im wrong. :?:
Old 04-02-2004, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by ayS
okay i have seen "vvt-i" and i have also seen some cars in the toyota lineup with "vvtl-i" now...is that simliar to vtec since it's variable valve timing lift electronic control intelligence? or are vvt-i and vvtl-i one in the same thing? correct me if im wrong. :?:
Yeah, a few days after getting my xA, I drove my friend's Celica GTS again and Lift was just awesome. I wish I had Lift in my xA I got back into my xA and it felt like I was driving a golf cart...

Also, my friend had a Field VTEC controller on his Si. He was playing around with it (looking at the settings) while he was driving when he mistakenly changed something. The car freaked out and it started to go into VTEC at low RPMs. It was funny...
Old 04-02-2004, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

VVT-i isn't like VTEC, but VVTL-i (found in celica gts) is like VTEC. The L stands for "Lift" but i call it "toyota's VTEC" puahahha

edit*
plus changing when the VTEC kicks in isn't always good because it should be a linear power curve and if VTEC kicks in too early, your car will bog and there would be a loss of power instead of a gain.
Old 04-02-2004, 04:38 AM
Banned

Veribal Valve Timing - Intelegence

the - means with

so veribal valve timing with intelegence
Old 04-02-2004, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Funny thing is... the Lexus IS300 touring race car they removed all the VVTi components with the remakrs of "less things to break" and " we are not concerned about emissions"... is it just a way for our cars to run clean at lower RPMs and be the most it can be at higher? I see it as them making VVTi to kep from having to reduse ALL performance for emissions.. but just adjusting the performance out to tolerable amounts in the lower RPMs...
Old 04-02-2004, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by xAzNDeVoTioN
VVT-i isn't like VTEC, but VVTL-i (found in celica gts) is like VTEC. The L stands for "Lift" but i call it "toyota's VTEC" puahahha

edit*
plus changing when the VTEC kicks in isn't always good because it should be a linear power curve and if VTEC kicks in too early, your car will bog and there would be a loss of power instead of a gain.
I found this to be true, VVT-I is a design that the motor has so when the timing is off just a little bit the computer will adjust the timing to the perfect setting for optimum performance. A VVT-I controller is not available, because the computer does the thinking for you and does not need to be controlled.

VVTL-I is similar to vtec for a boost in performance and may have an aftermarket controller for it, but we would probably need to hit up another forum for it.

Originally Posted by JDMxB
Anyway--listen up dude--VVTI is nothing like VTEC. VVTL-I is something along the lines of VTEC...
This qoute by JDMxB was in another topic called CRAZY AZZ TURBO KIT CHECK IT OUT

Old 04-02-2004, 01:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

vvti control the phase timing between when the intake and exauhst valves open.
this way you can get 0 overlap at low rpms and some overlap at higherrpms, optimzing fuel efficiency and make the powe band flatter.

vtec actually changes the lift of the cam at a specific rpm. This allows them to use a low lift setting at lower rpms for better low rpm power and fuel efficiency, and a big cam at high rpms for maximum power production.

from a pure horsepoower production standpoint, a vtec system is going to have more potential all else being equal. Being able to 'switch' to a huge lift cam at high rpms is a huge win. Simply changing *when* the intake and exauhst valves open is a bit more subtle.

anyway, could aftermarket control of vvti be useful? I wouldn't expect so on a near stock engine, when you floor the gas pedal it likely goes to optimum horsepower settings.

I wouldnt expect a vtec controller to be useful on a stock honda either.

Quick Reply: Is there a VVT-i controller like the Vtech Controller?