Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

TRD exhaust vs. 5zigen ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRD exhaust vs. 5zigen ??

i kno the performance on both exhaust systems are pretty much the same(correct me if im wrong)...but what about the sound?

anybody compare those two? i want something sounds deep...lemme what u guys think?

any help would be highly appreciate...
Old 10-29-2003, 04:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ted,
i had the jic, too loud for me and my wife.
i'm using trd now and love it, not too loud, very nice tone.
roger is using the 5 zigen and he thinks it is junk(ask roger). it hangs too low, could rub the ground.

btw- the comment that it's junk is totally false, just want to see what roger says.

get what you like, i like the trd, but some other users think it's too loud too.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the heads up david,
i like the way 5zigen looks...but hangs too low...plus i have around 2.1 inch drop...

TRD looks too much like stock...it's so HARD to make a decision...
Old 10-29-2003, 05:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default trd exhaust tone

hey i just built my new "Scionsite" and in it under "XB PICS" i have a video with sound of what the T.R.D. exhaust sounds like.. This is befor i installed the CAI intake so it is a little deeper now.

http://home.earthlink.net/~scionracer

Old 10-29-2003, 05:28 AM
5 Year Member

I got a TRD muffler up for grabs.. lemme kno if interested!

Dave
Old 10-29-2003, 06:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: trd exhaust tone

Originally Posted by scionracerxb
hey i just built my new "Scionsite" and in it under "XB PICS" i have a video with sound of what the T.R.D. exhaust sounds like.. This is befor i installed the CAI intake so it is a little deeper now.

http://home.earthlink.net/~scionracer

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
i checked out your site this morning, from the video, the TRD exhaust sounds really deep...nice tone, im wondering how come it differs from other TRD exhaust i've heard?
Old 10-29-2003, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default trd exhaust tone

i dunno, a lot of people say that...and as i said, that was b 4 the AEM intake....its even deeper now!
Old 10-29-2003, 03:46 PM

Ted, if you want the TRD, go with DynamiteSJ he has one for sale. And I can install it for you, for a pizza and small meet at my shop. :D

Old 10-29-2003, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Stylis
Ted, if you want the TRD, go with DynamiteSJ he has one for sale. And I can install it for you, for a pizza and small meet at my shop. :D
that would be nice man!!!!!!! but do u think TRD both looks and sounds like stock?
Old 10-29-2003, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

JIC is where it is at. David is just too picky and Rogers sounds like a gardner on sat morning with out the grass smell.

Ad-roc
Old 10-29-2003, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a 5zigen and its good and i like it it does not put out that much sound but its all good
Old 10-29-2003, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ah hem, adroc and dchan8, you guys are just too funny... and adroc you haven't heard my exhaust yet , your wrong on how it sounds, it actually sounds like one of those 250cc Yamaha dirt bikes.... j/k.

Yes, the 5zigen is going to be the lower than your lower rear bumper skirt. It will scrape the ground first when going up in your driveway Ted. Sound wise, Im happy with the deep throaty sound on Wide Open Throttle.

On the other hand, TRD's muffler is tucked under the rear of the car and the tip is just perfect in diameter (not too bit not too small). It's quieter then 5Zigen and It's hella quieter than the JIC. Buy the TRD from DynamiteSJ and have stylis install it and that's the best exhaust for the money.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

roger,
can you say "RICE" cause that's how it sounds. Most people will ask you where's the bumble bees. :P

adam,
you got ripped off(by me) :lol:

ted,
get trd, doesn't look like stock, has a waranty, cool laser etched TRD logo on tip that you can't see, but you know it's there.

ps-roger and adam, you know i'm kidding. ted, get what you like, but i suggest you take a look at some of ours to get a better idea.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

guys, thanks for all your valuable opinions...really appreciated..

roger, it hangs lower than the lip??? thats crazy, thinking that my car is a lil lower than yours...

david, have u check out the scionaraxb's website? try to hear the video he took, his TRD sounds really different...
i want 5zigen mainly for the look...i like the way it fill the exhaust openning...worse part is it will scrape like crazy on my car.
as for TRD, if it really sounds like scionaraxb's, i will get it without thinking...
i dont really remember how yours sounds, u kno someone's car bumpin' in da trunk! (u kno who im talking about right? the guy with two headrests monitor...hahah)
Old 10-29-2003, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bBted

roger, it hangs lower than the lip??? thats crazy, thinking that my car is a lil lower than yours...

david, have u check out the scionaraxb's website? try to hear the video he took, his TRD sounds really different...
i want 5zigen mainly for the look...i like the way it fill the exhaust openning...worse part is it will scrape like crazy on my car.
as for TRD, if it really sounds like scionaraxb's, i will get it without thinking...
i dont really remember how yours sounds, u kno someone's car bumpin' in da trunk! (u kno who im talking about right? the guy with two headrests monitor...hahah)
Ted,
the TRD is quiet at idle and has a nice deep tone when you give it gas, you can check mine's out some anytime you like, I work in san jose.
imo-the jic looks the best, but it's too loud for me when i'm inside the car. the trd is pretty deep, just like the sound clip, doesn't sound like those cheap honda mufflers some people have. not too loud at freeway speeds, but some other owners think it too loud and went back to stock.
see link:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1881
Old 10-29-2003, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yep, that would be me!
Old 10-30-2003, 05:20 AM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by dchan8
Originally Posted by bBted

Ted,
the TRD is quiet at idle and has a nice deep tone when you give it gas, you can check mine's out some anytime you like, I work in san jose.
imo-the jic looks the best, but it's too loud for me when i'm inside the car. the trd is pretty deep, just like the sound clip, doesn't sound like those cheap honda mufflers some people have. not too loud at freeway speeds, but some other owners think it too loud and went back to stock.
see link:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1881
that just means that you'll need chris to install a killer stereo in your xB!

squirrel
Old 10-30-2003, 05:34 AM
5 Year Member

Sorry to break the news... but the exhaust is gone... SOLD!

Dave
Old 12-08-2003, 03:31 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Can someone that is running the 5zigen exhaust measure the piping and the tip and let me know what the specs are? It isn't listed anywhere. Thanks

Darren
Old 12-08-2003, 04:39 PM

scionara has the 5zigen set-up, I will ask him to stop by my place so we give you the dimensions. He also had a cat back system hooked up onto the 5zigen so he is getting a little more kick then thought! :D

Quick Reply: TRD exhaust vs. 5zigen ??