Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

turbo or supercharger?

Old 09-02-2003, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member

Default turbo or supercharger?

does anyone know anything about a turbo or scharger for the scion xb in the future?
Old 09-02-2003, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: turbo or supercharger?

Originally Posted by miahty
does anyone know anything about a turbo or scharger for the scion xb in the future?
Several are in development, both turbo and supercharger. A couple are actually in hardware.

In any case, bring your visa card and kiss your warranty goodbye! :)

George
Old 09-02-2003, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why are they taking so long to release the products? :x
Old 09-02-2003, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Torokun
because it takes time to produce a reliable turbo kit. companies that rush these things almost always end up with problems. doesn't really matter though because by taking longer it just creates more hype, and the vast majority of people who say they are getting a turbo or supercharger kit are not going to do it anyway. vast.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by eric m.
Originally Posted by Torokun
because it takes time to produce a reliable turbo kit. companies that rush these things almost always end up with problems. doesn't really matter though because by taking longer it just creates more hype, and the vast majority of people who say they are getting a turbo or supercharger kit are not going to do it anyway. vast.
i bet about 97% of people on this board that say they want a supercharger will not actually get one. 100% of the people that own corollas say they want a turbo and then when one is released they don't buy it.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

97%? you are too kind, sam. everyone always begs and begs for turbo kits and then they never buy them. that's why i'm not saying anything.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member

I need an xB first before I come to any rash decisions.

Buy me one, yeah?
Old 09-15-2003, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I am definitely not getting one right away. I am going to wait until my warranty runs out. I tend to play things safe... you know? My first choice as of now is the Blitz compressor kit. But, that doesn't mean there isn't a market.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

does anyone on the streets have a turbo'd or supercharged xB?
Old 10-08-2003, 07:09 AM
5 Year Member

I'm on the safe side too but I will definitely get one after I decide which is the best kit. I had a Vortech supercharger kit on my VW GTI VR6 and that was the best money I have every spent. It just multiplied the enjoyment that I already was getting out of the car, and I thought I was as happy as one could be with a their car.

I wouldn't have been happy with the car without the charger after having it and experiencing the difference.

I own a performance store and I hear all day long the ramblings of what people are going to do to their car and yep, most of them never do it.

I'm just trying to find a Scion somewhere around me to see in person, an xb. Probably just waiting till Sema I guess.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

TRD supercharger stats:
cost: approx $2500
HP increase: Users have found 40% to 50% hp increase (equates to 50 hp for the Scion)
mpg adjustment: Users have found a 1 mpg loss using sc

These figures are based on the supercharger used in 4 cyl Tacomas and Solaras (same one used with the Scion - the only thing holding it up right now is emisson tests)

NOTE: The supercharger will be the only major performance item covered by Toyota. This might not make much difference to many, but I don't feel like voiding my 100,000 mile warrenty for a turbo. As soon as its offered the sc will go on.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by toybox1
TRD supercharger stats:
cost: approx $2500
HP increase: Users have found 40% to 50% hp increase (equates to 50 hp for the Scion)
mpg adjustment: Users have found a 1 mpg loss using sc

These figures are based on the supercharger used in 4 cyl Tacomas and Solaras (same one used with the Scion - the only thing holding it up right now is emisson tests)

NOTE: The supercharger will be the only major performance item covered by Toyota. This might not make much difference to many, but I don't feel like voiding my 100,000 mile warrenty for a turbo. As soon as its offered the sc will go on.
hmm i kinda doubt this , i'm gonna guess it's the blitz cuz i know that scion dealers sold cars with the blitz installed. who knows, might be a nice medium between header intake exhaust , and motor swap. and unless they're gonna include pistons and rods it wont see 50 hp improvement.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

greddys is in production should be out in the next month or so
Old 03-02-2005, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ChRiSS Xb
greddys is in production should be out in the next month or so
You sound awfully sure... people have been saying that since 2003.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not to sound "cocky", but im able to afford currently forced induction..t/c or s/c. I'm not rushing anything though because once you buy something like this, the next month theres a bigger and better turbo or supercharger out, with a safer set up. I'll probably start looking serious in the fall.. Who knows, i keep my opitions open.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

I am close to finishing m kit. Went and bought a M3 tueday so that has somewhat satisfied my need for speed and slowed me down on finishing my xB project.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:13 AM
5 Year Member

Speaking from 'old car' performance (my 'play' ride is a 65 Chevelle Super Sport with a 502 Big Block, so I'm no Newb) a supercharger is generally more powerful for daily driving unless you have a high hp machine. A supercharger boosts from idle, so you (generally) get more area under the bell curve (as if you were looking at a dyno sheet). More power under the curve=more fun than higher peak HP.

It adds up to more useable hp.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheBugBox
Speaking from 'old car' performance (my 'play' ride is a 65 Chevelle Super Sport with a 502 Big Block, so I'm no Newb) a supercharger is generally more powerful for daily driving unless you have a high hp machine. A supercharger boosts from idle, so you (generally) get more area under the bell curve (as if you were looking at a dyno sheet). More power under the curve=more fun than higher peak HP.

It adds up to more useable hp.
true. who cares about HP anyways, its all about torque and a good power band.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:40 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i still want the blitz roots blower, i'll just have to wait till my warr. expires before i get it in 100k or 7 years

but for right now i talked my self out of it and i'm staying with N/A but my exhust will almost be ready for it though
Old 03-06-2005, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hornet_on_flower
i still want the blitz roots blower, i'll just have to wait till my warr. expires before i get it in 100k or 7 years

but for right now i talked my self out of it and i'm staying with N/A but my exhust will almost be ready for it though
Blitz = Twin-Screw, not roots.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: turbo or supercharger?